Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspension lift opinions sought

Shit, shayne that's dedication thanks very much so mine is quite a bit taller then so I think it's a yes to the diff drop and longer droplinks as well as the wheel spacers

Thanks for going out in your bathrobe I'm sure your neighbours enjoyed it

She's took off with my truck now but from the ground i think its about a metre . If we measure from the bottom of the wheel rim instead of the ground it ignores what tyres we have fitted .

Think mine measured 790mm on the rear with a Moroccan 2" lift and 760mm on the front with standard springs (from another thread I think it was decided the standard height is 300mm from top of rim to arch)

Going to be looking for HD springs on mine but so far a quick search only reveals OME giving +weights in their springs

A 1hdt engine weighs about 340kg if thats any help Mark ?

Not exactly what I was meaning Shayne. OME offer springs in different weights for the rear (e.g. +300kg to GVM).

I weighed my truck fully loaded at 2300kg so well under GVM and I'll check it again when I get back from this trip and establish what my running weight is for 1 person on a normal trip and also full load for longer stints in remote places circa 800-1000km without civilisation. I'm guessing my weight will overlap the OME spring weight ranges.

Pedders etc just say HD or similar not weight loading

What i was thinking Mark is standard 80 front springs must be more progressive than the stuff they sell for the collie , it was sold as a luxury car that can take a war zone beating so if the weight above your rear axle is close to 340kg then standard 80 suspension might work well for you .

The hd Pedders i have in the rear is for towing and i reckon it would rattle your teeth out in Morocco , I air down for comfort when the track is loose stone , no complaints mind i got what i asked for .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't the 80 springs give something like a 3" lift? They could be what I'm looking for.

Just been looking a 90 in the campsite with OME shocks and springs looks very nice.

Morocco can rattle you teeth a lot and I always air down although I find the new BFG ATs like it slightly firmer than the old design.

When we had to drive out of the desert with the army. I was already very heavy with fuel water and food then had Byron and his kit we rescued. A few hours on heavily corrugated military piste had me wishing for suspension I didn't need to worry about in situations like that

Two 80's i've been in and didn't like the seemingly soft suspension , though obviously its not soft when you look at what it can bounce that lump over , go back to post 1 Sharpy is using 80 front suspension in the rear which is why this thread exists .

Yep and until he posted I'd forgotten about the 80 spring option. Could well be what I'm looking for.

Yep and until he posted I'd forgotten about the 80 spring option. Could well be what I'm looking for.

Just got back from a weekend Laning around Norfolk and couldn't be happier with the ride and performance of the new suspension setup I just need to fit the longer droplinks as I think that was the clunking noise but other than that truck kept up with the discos and defenders even when the inevitable breakdown occurred

View attachment 126448 View attachment 126448 Hello gents

As per title this is my 97 lwb collie with 255/85/r16 mud tyres 80 series front springs in the rear along with standard 80 series shocks and up front new standard height springs and shocks with a 25mm strut top spacer.
She has approx 50kg in the boot and half a tank off fuel

What do you guys think?

Cheers Simon View attachment 126449

Hi Simon,

Looks quite good, but might even lift the back another inch.... , put some black foil on your back window's and paint your rims..... the color of the car is absolutely perfect !!

I lifted my VZJ90 with new pedder 2 inch lifted HD coils in the front and the back. Front has original shocks and backside 0-2 inch lifted pedder shocks. Front end is stif and doesn't bounce out, so no need for lowering front diff. excellent corner handling on roads.
On the rims i got the brand-new 285/75/16 Bf goodrich AT/KO2 (greatest tyre's ever made !)
The only problem when fitting was the front mud flap when maximal turning. I pulled this back 1 inch with a big tie-rap, problem solved. Last weekend i blasted all rims, and spray paint them mat-black.

Greetings,
Jack
The Netherlands.
IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG

I agree colour is perfect and the rims and windows are on the list of things to

Pedders now offer what they couldn't when i bought my suspension (a +2" heavy duty rear for the 90) something i found out while contacting them to discuss using 80 series shocks .

My standard height hd rear springs have had 2" coil spacers on top since i bought them so the standard shocks have been doing little to support them .

Of course they want me to buy the 90 series +2 and so there was no mention of 80 shocks in the email reply . Phone chat revealed these shocks are 1.5 inch taller than those i have .

I like height so question is -are 80 series standard front shocks a full 2 inch taller than standard 90 shocks , and are they a straight fit ?

The 80 series shocks will work and I've heard good reviews from people using them on 4runners. Only problem is the shock shaft diameter is apparently a little bit bigger than 90 series ones, so it'll require drilling out to work properly, and remember you'll also need to get hold of the 80 series shock centering washer that slots in as well. Doing this also means you'll have a hard time reverting back to regular 90 series shocks if you want to down the road....

Thank Beau i guess that somewhat kills the idea for me as i don't have time to mess about :icon-neutral:

Maybe its me but are we talking front or rear shocks now? I thought the rear 80 shocks were a straight swap

Maybe that was my mistake Mark ? i can't say i have given the idea much thought i was just about to put suspension back in when i clicked .

I've always presumed 80 rear shock as the mounting on the fronts wouldn't work on the 90's

If someone has one lying around it'll be nice to check the diameter of the shaft to compare it to the 90 series shocks.

Back