Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspension problem

Kieron

Country Flag
uk
Hi all
My 2004 model is playing up. After being parked a while when then driving off the suspension seems v hard and may bump. After a while the problem seems to sort itself but it's like being in a boat for the first 5 miles
It doesn't seem stuck in any position as I can operate the switch and the vehicle will raise and lower as requested
Are there any simple checks I can carry out to self diagnose the problem ?
Look forward to hearing from anyone out there Cheers all

Hi all
My 2004 model is playing up. After being parked a while when then driving off the suspension seems v hard and may bump. After a while the problem seems to sort itself but it's like being in a boat for the first 5 miles
It doesn't seem stuck in any position as I can operate the switch and the vehicle will raise and lower as requested
Are there any simple checks I can carry out to self diagnose the problem ?
Look forward to hearing from anyone out there Cheers all
Whats the mileage on your 100?

Hi all and thanks for the replies. I was worried that I'd need a conversion kit as I know the toyota parts to keep everything running smooth can be very expensive.
My car has 180000 on the clock but very tidy .
I took it today to Hallam Brothers in Hayfield Derbyshire. The x Toyota trained mechanic ( they are predominantly Land Rover fans ?? ) straight away set my mind at ease and pointed out what I hadn't noticed from sitting in the driving seat .
He noticed straight away that the back end was sitting v low compared to the front. The suspension setting at the time was Normal. I then put it through its other setting with me out of the vehicle. I could the see when it was in High setting the back was now higher than the front. He told me not to worry nothing financially crippling ....everything is working ok ...no leaks pump ok etc. Said it would probably one or both of the rear wheel sensors being out of line or faulty.
So I'll wait and see what they say tomorrow after getting it on the ramp
It's so nice to meet a mechanic that understands my specific vehicle as opposed to a few garages that I spoke with where they said they'd never worked on one but would give it a shot !! Not what I want to hear
If you're all interested or even not I'll report back and let you know the verdict and also whether I'd reccomend the garage as knowledgeable mechanics on these cars seems to be few and far between in Derbyshire. Cheers all

Hi all and thanks for the replies. I was worried that I'd need a conversion kit as I know the toyota parts to keep everything running smooth can be very expensive.
My car has 180000 on the clock but very tidy .
I took it today to Hallam Brothers in Hayfield Derbyshire. The x Toyota trained mechanic ( they are predominantly Land Rover fans ?? ) straight away set my mind at ease and pointed out what I hadn't noticed from sitting in the driving seat .
He noticed straight away that the back end was sitting v low compared to the front. The suspension setting at the time was Normal. I then put it through its other setting with me out of the vehicle. I could the see when it was in High setting the back was now higher than the front. He told me not to worry nothing financially crippling ....everything is working ok ...no leaks pump ok etc. Said it would probably one or both of the rear wheel sensors being out of line or faulty.
So I'll wait and see what they say tomorrow after getting it on the ramp
It's so nice to meet a mechanic that understands my specific vehicle as opposed to a few garages that I spoke with where they said they'd never worked on one but would give it a shot !! Not what I want to hear
If you're all interested or even not I'll report back and let you know the verdict and also whether I'd reccomend the garage as knowledgeable mechanics on these cars seems to be few and far between in Derbyshire. Cheers all
There are no 'rear wheel sensors' to do with the AHC, the only rear wheel sensors are for the ABS, also when the car is in AHC 'N' the rear should be a little higher than the front, just because this mech is Toyota trained don't mean he knows how Toyota AHC works, not many of them do fully, and I mean fully understand how the AHC functions.

It is not normal for the rear end to sit 'v low' compared to the front ever, if the AHC = Active Hight Control is working normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ther is just one rear height sensor passenger side on the axel,it may need adjusting

Hi ?????
I think you are wrong, there is two at the front(one for each side) and one at the back but the rear
should sit slightly HIGHER not lower

No that’s right one in rear toward s passenger side , I’ve just replaced mine!

.... He told me not to worry nothing financially crippling ....everything is working ok ...no leaks pump ok etc. Said it would probably one or both of the rear wheel sensors being out of line or faulty....
Looks like you got the right man then. It' is when you don't know your way around the AHC that it can get costly. Normal dealers' service is to start at one end and throw parts at it until the problem goes away, or the owner's wallet is empty, whichever comes first.
That the man didn't remember just then that there is only one height sensor in the rear doesn't mean that he doesn't understand the system.
The most common problem with the AHC height regulation is that the height sensors somehow give the wrong signal, either because of an internal fault (wear or corrosion), link-arm problem (frozen/rusty, bent, broken or worn out), or cabling fault. The sensors do live in a harsh environment.
At standard normal height, the rear should look a bit higher than the front, and when it goes to high, the rear lifts about 50 mm while the front only about 40, so it has even more rake when in high. That it actually goes to high and low is a very good sign, in fact, showing that the sensors work (at least partly) and that the pressure is not too high.

Hi ?????
I think you are wrong, there is two at the front(one for each side) and one at the back but the rear
should sit slightly HIGHER not lower
You think who has got what wrong?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you got the right man then. It' is when you don't know your way around the AHC that it can get costly. Normal dealers' service is to start at one end and throw parts at it until the problem goes away, or the owner's wallet is empty, whichever comes first.
That the man didn't remember just then that there is only one height sensor in the rear doesn't mean that he doesn't understand the system.
The most common problem with the AHC height regulation is that the height sensors somehow give the wrong signal, either because of an internal fault (wear or corrosion), link-arm problem (frozen/rusty, bent, broken or worn out), or cabling fault. The sensors do live in a harsh environment.
At standard normal height, the rear should look a bit higher than the front, and when it goes to high, the rear lifts about 50 mm while the front only about 40, so it has even more rake when in high. That it actually goes to high and low is a very good sign, in fact, showing that the sensors work (at least partly) and that the pressure is not too high.
Anyway, whatever or whoever is wrong, time will tell.

Back