Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspension replacement 'How To Guide' for LC80 or 105??

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Going to replace the suspension in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know of a How To Guide either on this site or elsewhere for replacing the shocks and springs on an 80 or 105? I've had a search but can't find anything.

TIA

N

I'm guessing because it's not particulalry technical Nick. Boiled down, it's something like

1. Remove old supsension
2. Fit new suspsension

The trick is getting enough droop to be able to wiggle the springs out. I would suggest that it's worth having a little chat with AndyCruiser Guy. He might be a beacon of light on this one. Either that or stick it on my drive and I'll give you a hand. It's honeslty not worth typing out the instructions. I think I swapped my rear springs over once in 12 minutes. All we need is some sun and a coffee or two and it'll be done.

As Chris says really easy 3 bolts on the top of the rear shocks can be troublesome.

Only issue I have had is the droop

Aye, so your lass keeps telling us.

When you have a struggle to fit larger spring's that are too tall, I've used a pair of 1" ratchet straps to compress the spring to a smaller size and it saves forcing the axle down. Get them in then release the ratchet straps! And saves having big enough spring compressors.. Jobs a good one!

I just loose off the PH rod and arb links. Usually enough. Compressing the spring works too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK thanks guys. Compressing the springs was the bit I was wondering about. I'll have a go and see how I get on, and if necessary i'll go out and buy some spring compressors.

It's really not the way to do it though Nick. It's good if you're in a bind, but not the way. I sometimes use a small jack in between the axle casing and the PH rod mount to just give some downward pressure. Just make sure everything is well supported when you've got your head in the wheel arch.
Like I said, always room on the drive here.

Oh ok I had assumed that using spring compressors was the best practise method. So the best way to do it is to get the axle low enough that you can install it without compressing the spring?

Thanks for the offer, but I can only work on the truck Monday - Wednesday during school time. Evenings and weekends are out at the moment because Amy is really busy in London all week and it wouldn't be fair to dump the kids on her at the weekend when she is supposed to be de-stressing!

Buy new suspension. Drive to garage. Give bloke £200. Drive home. Job done ;-)

OK jobs going well. All 4 shocks removed, rear springs changed over and rear shocks installed. I'll do the front next week.

While it may be straightforward technically, getting the bolts off the top of the shocks, especially the rear was a real PITA. I found I had to use the bottle jack in-between the axle and the bump stop to get an extra few cm's to get the springs swapped out, but all good.

Anyway, while doing it I undid the drop links and found the rear ones are looking pretty bad so i'll need to change them.

Whats the thinking on extended drop links? Do they make a difference? Are they any negative effects to consider? (Lift is still 50mm which it has been for the last 10 years with standard links)

I always loosen the panhard rod and control arm bush bolts, then tighten them back up once the weight is back on the wheels.

On the rears, to get maximum clearance loosen all the trailing arm bolts, remove the bolt holding the handbrake cable to the chassis, assuming if you are putting a lift on you have already fitted an extended brake pipe, remove one of the panhard rod bolts, remove the damper bottom bolts and lift the rear of the truck ( however you choose to) and there will be enough clearance to remove any springs and fit any others.
I fitted some tall Dobinsons on the 24V 80 in about 15 mins.

Do you need brake pip extensions on a 2" lift? AS my suspension has just arrived.

I haven't extended my brake lines because I thought it wasn't necessary on a 2 inch lift, that said the reason I had to use the 'bottle jack' method was because I had run our of brake line so couldn't drop the axle any further, otherwise i'd have undone the panhard rod.

I think as well as replacing the drop links i'll extend the brake line. The ToDo list just keeps getting longer......

I have a 2 inch lift and extended shocks with standard brake pipes. On the ramp so the axle is fully down its not stretched at all. Unless you plan on longer shockers than that?

I have a 2 inch lift and extended shocks with standard brake pipes. On the ramp so the axle is fully down its not stretched at all. Unless you plan on longer shockers than that?

Undo and take offyour shocks at the bottom, relax all the bushes on the trailing arms and try it Josh.
I only fitted extended brake hoses as I replaced all the brake pipes with braided and fitted a 3-4" lift on my 24V 80 auto.

Seen as my EFS shocks and springs have arrived, I best get around to fitting them. Luckily I don't need to get longer break pipes (few) as it's only a 2" lift.

Back