Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swap out seats

Andykdj95

Country Flag
great_britain
just wondering has any one changed there seats? The seats in my 2001 Colly remind me of my grandfathers arm chair! Would love to change them for somethings more sporty and fitting. Even the seats in the wife's smart car feel more perposfull, I'm not worried about the heated part ether.some thing on the lines of a reclining bucket seat but not to full on any thoughts?

I think someone fitted Scooby Impreza seats into a 90, thread on here somewhere

I was going to do this and even bought folding Recaro style bucket seats (no back doors in a shorty) then i realized the fixed headrest will prevent me from making a bed in the car so the idea was shelved indefinitely .

My plan was to remove the Toyota seats - cut the brackets off the bottom thus retaining factory legs and sliding mechanism and simply weld a plate between the two which gives you a flat platform on which to mount any seat you choose .

I picked up a pair of leather seats from a 2010 Mazda 8 to go into my 80.

They're a tight fit width wise, but doable. Probably too wide for the 90.

However, they have just the right amount of "bucket" profile, without them being difficult to get in and out of as "full buckets" would be.

The point of my reply is to look at a wide variety of available seats, you may be surprised as to what will fit (or won't, as the case may be).

My original seats were very basic, cloth with a forward rear manual rack, and a multi position recliner. No height or seat rake adjustment. The Mazda seats have all this, and they're electrically operated.... with heater pads and adjustable lumbar, luverly :thumbup:

The problem I found was that out of 2000 vehicles in the salvage yard, the better condition seats were in crashed vehicles, and almost all suffered from seat airbag bursts, destroying the seat. The others were generally in worse condition than my own. I was lucky that the Mazda I found, had minor damage, enough to write it off, but not a major crash deploying the airbags.

Last edited:
Late Supra MK3 All Electric Leather seats :)
I am not very fat, so the "side grabbing" & electric adjustments is my favourite by far.
Heat is a bonus.
If one want "old old school" then the MK2 seat would be an option.
Supras are (where!) widely available in the UK for a bargain

Thanks for all the replies gives me something to think about. Wish we had a scrapyard here in Jersey, well we do but your no longer aloud to go and get stuff so much for recycling.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was going to do this and even bought folding Recaro style bucket seats (no back doors in a shorty) then i realized the fixed headrest will prevent me from making a bed in the car so the idea was shelved indefinitely .

Just out of interest, how do you make a bed out of the SWB seats? Is there some trick I've been missing or is it something you've specially set up?

Front seats fully forward remove the headrests and the rear of the seat will fold flush with the back seat .

Cool. I'll try it. I didn't realise SWBs did that :oops: Mind you, it's a few years since I last kipped in the car... But nice to know there's the option

Me and Helen went to Romania and back last year with a quilt and a jetboil and were comfortable enough just folding the seats :icon-wink:

Me and Helen went to Romania and back last year with a quilt and a jetboil and were comfortable enough just folding the seats :icon-wink:

Sounds like you've got one in a million there mate. I got Liz to come on holiday in a camper van once, and only once :(

I've got a full size double bed in my 90 with all my camping gear underneath. It is very definitely possible!

I've got a full size double bed in my 90 with all my camping gear underneath. It is very definitely possible!
Hello Dieseldragon, do you have any lovely photo's to share? That is the sort of thing that I am considering, though I'm sure it means stripping out the back seat.

Hi Bert 95 seats in a swb 90 has been tried and doesn't work because with rear doors the front seats don't need to fold . I wonder if swb 90 front seats in a 95 would allow you to sleep as i do with your feet at the steering wheel without removing rear seats .
I would post a pic of the seats in my shorty folded down for bed but my internet connection is not stable enough to upload onto the forum .

Front seats fully forward remove the headrests and the rear of the seat will fold flush with the back seat .

Hi Shayne. I can get mine set up the same as yours, taking off the headrest and the like, but my Good Woman doesn't like that sort of set up, finds it too uncomfortable. I have been thinking about removing the back bench seat (saving 15kg's in the process??) and making up a frame in the back for underfloor storage facilities whilst providing a decent base for a (small) double bed kind of arrangement.

It's not perfectly flat is it i have thought about a mattress topper to make it more comfortable , but if i had a 95 and i was willing to remove the rear seats i think i would stick a fridge in the back which would give me a height to work to and build a big box to lay a mattress on .
The complicated bit is working out how to access the storage space underneath , i'm thinking the side doors could give access to a couple of drawers and one big drawer next to your fridge . That leaves only the centre space which could be accessed via a drop in panel much like a toddlers wooden jigsaw with finger holes instead of handles for lifting it out .

And with all that done you can then go to sleep at night listening to her complaining that she doesn't like sleeping so close to the roof :lol:

Last edited:
It's not perfectly flat is it i have though about a mattress topper to make it more comfortable , but if i had a 95 and i was willing to remove the rear seats i think i would stick a fridge in the back which would give me a height to work to and build a big box to lay a mattress on .
The complicated bit is working out how to access the storage space underneath , i'm thinking the side doors could give access to a couple of drawers and one big drawer next to your fridge . That leaves only the centre space which could be accessed via a drop in panel much like a toddlers wooden jigsaw with finger holes instead of handles for lifting it out .

And with all that done you can then go to sleep at night listening to her complaining that she doesn't like sleeping so close to the roof :lol:

Paint the roof black and put some of those glow in the dark stars up there!

These are the only photos I have on this phone. It is all taken out for the winter.
Rear seat is removed.
I have an awning that the car reverses into for bad weather.
The front seats go all the way forward. The platform sits about 33cm above the floor. There is just enough room to sit up.
I have mesh screens that go in the front side windows

20160806_203113.jpg 20150919_201119.jpg 20150919_144025.jpg 20150919_130016.jpg

Heres my set up in a 95, 25mm square tube and plywood designed around Euro Containers to maximise storage. Rear section and 4 containers can stay in permanently, the containers are 600x400x285 and 300x400x285 giving 165 litres of storage. If needed on a trip everything can be easily taken out and taken into a hotel rather than leave all my stuff in a dodgy garage somewhere

The front section is removable if the seats are fitted. Fridge sits on the right behind the drivers seat and then I have a tool box and 3 Dewalt Tough System Box underneath although 2 go on the roof when off road or camping regularly.

Gives loads of sleeping space with the advantage of being stealthy when need. BTW in the 95 the rear 2 rows of seats fold flat into a double bed

IMG_0995[1].JPG
IMG_0997[1].JPG

Back