Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SWB 90 wiring schematic/diagram for the reversing lights

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
I'm in the throws of moding and repairing the rear lights on Fiery :)

I've completely removed the bumper lights repaired and refurbished them with rust-stop, paint and waterproof sealer and repaired all of the external loom light wiring from where the previous owner had botched the towing electrics into the loom with Insulation Displacement Connectors (Scotch locks). I've now also moved the original near side reversing light lamp holder down to the fog light position and rewired it so I have two rear fog lights now and I've replaced the reversing light holder on this side with a twin filament lamp holder 21/5w and have wired both filaments together to give me a 26watt reversing light and using Philips fast response twin filament lamps said to give 20% more light output I should be in theory getting the equivalent light output of 31watts.

Now I want to fit a reversing light into the off side upper light unit using the same twin filament fast response lamp method, but.................now a lot of you Chris, Bob, etc will know what I'm about to say as I've spent most of the morning searching both this forum and that other one reading about many of the findings of old on the SWB off-side reversing light wiring mistery and what is that dead wire in the plug meant to be for?

If anyone has the answer to this or a link to a descent wiring schematic I'd be very apreciative :)

Lets try to put this mystery to bed for good :)

sae70 said:

Good idea . . But I'm afraid I haven't sorted out my rear light wiring yet, I have only activated the upper lamp units with Prado wiring.

The Max Ellery Manual has the following (thanks Max :thumbup: ):

RearFgReverseLightsWiringDiagram.jpg

This is a bit confusing as it shows two reversing lights - whereas we know we only have one - but only one fog light - but on ours both sides of the loom are live :? . Maybe things are different 'Down Under' :think: .

It would help if we knew where all the connectors are :roll:

There is a blue connector block, covered in expanded foam rubber, in the near side rear wing. I looked into it once but its just that - a lot of connectors, nothing unpluggable or loose.

Might be worth a look.

DSCN7369copy.jpg

The O/S reversing light wire must terminate (in space ?) somewhere, I guess one of us has to trace it back to its dead end.

Right now I'm still trying to shoe-horn my 'shed' into two shipping containers so don't have time (or covered facilities) to investigate further. When the weather warms up I must get on with the rear light & trailer socket re-wiring.

Hopefully you'll have the answer by then :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:

Bob.

BobMurphy said:
sae70 said:

Good idea . . But I'm afraid I haven't sorted out my rear light wiring yet, I have only activated the upper lamp units with Prado wiring
Lol :D I spent most of Sunday reading about yours and others (Chris's) exploits in body mounted rear lights, mostly on the other side ;) :) There's now not alot I don't know that you don't :)

Bor S said:
the compleet schematics of the 90 series
a download of 36 Mb

Succes Rob
That is awsome :mrgreen: And I think that I've found it by referencing pages 92 & 25 together it has to be something to do with junction connector J15 tucked up under the right hand side of the drivers side of the dash :pray: :D

I'll let you know later on :D :D ;)

Bor S said:
The complete schematics of the 90 series
Wow :!: - Thanks very much :thumbup: .

Hours/days of fun there :whistle:

Page 92 (Back-up light) looks like the diagram we need (shows as Page 263 on the document).

No obvious missing links there though :think: .

Edit: Looking more closely, the O/S reversing light is marked as being "G.C.C. General" - That's "Gulf Co-operation Council" according to the index on Page 4. Maybe that means we don't have it in the UK :?: :?:

Bob.

What a fascinating document :drool: :D :D

As you say Bob 'Hours/days of fun there' and I've just lost an hour or so myself :whistle:

I wonder what that 'G.C.C. General' note means then :?: Interesting :think:

Anyways :) Having a look at the schematics and ignoring the fact that alot of them seem to pertain to a LHD models, although they do offer up alternative detail on RHD models, hopefully when there's a difference. This is the assumption that I'm going to make at this point in time as it suits me :) :) ;)

So I think it's safe to ignore everything above Junction Connector #15 on the schematic shown on page 92 as it's a given that power for the LH reversing light must be getting at least to this position, so power for the RH reversing light must be available from this point. The electrical wiring diagram book shows the location of this Junction Connector (J15) to be up under the right hand side of the dash in line with the two large grommets that allow entry into the engine bay and it suggests that it is black in colour and we are concerned with the three pins starting from the left side of the lower row marked 'D'. The other location that there could be a break is in Wiring Harness Connector (IM2) located in the lower right had side of the right hand front seating position as denoted on page 40, eledged to be brown in colour and pin #2. I'm prety certain that I have the wire (Red/Black stripe) that run back from my LH light cluster to Harness Connector IM2 so just need to get into my drivers footwell and have a rumage :) :)

I'll let you know if my finding on paper relate to what's actually in the vehicle :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The wiring diagram book also suggests that in Junction Connectors 1 to 38 there are short connectors and that there are differences in how many wire harnesses these short out between different vehicles but the wire harnesses that belong to a common short group will always be of the same colour :) :think:

sae70 said:
I'll let you know if my finding on paper relate to what's actually in the vehicle.

Good stuff. :thumbup:

As mine is relegated to being outside at the moment and its cold & wet here I'll wait for your findings. :lol:

I was just going to bridge across from the working one to the offside, but this is a more elegant fix. :dance:

Bob.

BobMurphy said:
sae70 said:
I'll let you know if my findings on paper relate to what's actually in the vehicle
As mine is relegated to being outside at the moment and its cold & wet here I'll wait for your findings
I also only have the open air available to me for working on the truck & it's persisting it down here also :(

But I'm poised like a coiled Cobra, ready for action should it stop raining :D

I look forward to your answers - I have been trying to do the same. I fitted a new bulb and lampholder to the O.S. lamp cluster and found that there is no power to the existing blank plug when in reverse, in fact, none of the leads have power at any time. I was using the diagrams at the top of this query. The new ones on the download seem to make more sense - thanks guys - looking forward to some answers.

Best Regards

Jack K

OK, so time to up-date this thread :icon-smile: It's been a while I know, but you know how it is :shifty: :icon-biggrin:

Using the wiring schematic information provided by Bor S earlier in this thread I spent to long finding out exactly the reason that there is no feed coming up the right hand loom for the right hand body mounted reversing light even though the wire appears to be in place at the right hand lamp cluster.

I spent plenty of time studying the schematic and then used this information to trace every aspect of the reversing light wiring inside the truck. I took loads of photos and was going to do a detailed explanation of how to get it up and running in a very elegant way, but..............the up shot is the best way to get the right hand reversing light working is to splice into the left hand one and run a wire across the rear load area up into the right hand light cluster.

The wire for the right hand reversing light can be traced all the way forward to the connector in the driver footwell, but then there's nowt coming out the other side of this?!! All the wiring is present and correct in the passenger footwell also, but there's just no link between the two. It was that at this point I realized an oddity between the schematic provided by Bor S and what I was looking at in my own truck, it was all back to front! What was on the left was on the right and visa versa. It would appear that in order to facilitate the manufacture of a right hand drive vehicle they just flip the dash area wiring loom over!!! In doing so some how you loose the link between the left and right side of the vehicle for the reversing lights! Maybe due to the flip this wire needs to be used for something more important, but there you have it. I did know between exactly what connectors that its missing, but that info has now left me, not only is the wire no longer there but the pins in the relevant connectors are also missing.

Anyways here's all of the photos I took in case anyone else wants to have a go at replacing this missing wire themselves :lol:

P1240339_zps4640bce7.jpg

P1240341_zpscb24d76c.jpg

P1240342_zpsa033f4e5.jpg

P1240343_zps017894cb.jpg

P1240344_zps7b106600.jpg

P1240345_zps3ee79e6a.jpg

P1290366_zpsa61b3468.jpg

P1290367_zps0f03a632.jpg

P1290368_zpseba60cb7.jpg

P1290369_zpsa5245f79.jpg

P1290370_zps4fbf67a4.jpg

P1290371_zps654a326f.jpg

P1290373_zps62fd7a59.jpg

P1290374_zps0116b3a6.jpg

P1290377_zpsf8138a0d.jpg

P1290379_zps381d7ad4.jpg

P1290380_zps32c612d8.jpg

P1290381_zpsc996fc93.jpg

P1290382_zps298c1350.jpg

P1290383_zps6690f6d3.jpg

P1290384_zps18b8280f.jpg

So new wire spliced into left hand reversing light wiring loom at rear cluster and run under carpet across the rear load area & up into the right hand light cluster wiring loom :icon-biggrin:

P1300385_zps436a5730.jpg

P1300386_zps14b87496.jpg

There is more to this, but wanted to get this posted up in case of computer/internet failure!!!

Last edited:
So where was I :think: Oh yes, 'new right hand reversing light wire run' :icon-smile:

While doing all of this I removed the left hand REVERSING light lamp holder and fitted it to the FOG light section of the same cluster, wiring it into the FOG light feed that comes to the trailer electrics connector behind the left hand trim panel in the rear load area.

Now I have two FOG lights, but no REVERSING lights!!! Is this progress :think:

Q1300321_zps50028a89.jpg

Nearly there then and it would have been very easy to pop along to Toyota, buy a bit of loom with a couple of lamp holders and fit the left & right hand reversing lights. I wanted as much light as I could get out of these reversing lights without being to bespoke or OTT though, so I didn't! I did a lot of research into LED lamps and looked at many photos of trucks where people had used LED lamps to give better light and soon discounted them for my own use for a number of reasons. I contacted various lamp suppliers to see if I could buy a higher wattage lamp than the standard 21w one widely available, but the answer in short is NO! So I hatched a cunning plan to use a stop and tail lamp connecting both the 21w & the 5w filaments together giving a total light output of 26w. I then stumbled over the Philips Fast Response range of lamps that propose not only to be faster acting but 20% brighter as a result. This extra brightness would make my modified 26w lamp equivalent to 31w, so this is what I did.

I now needed some way of linking the two filaments together and a couple of new lamp holders and found the answer in these lamp holders for a LANDROVER FREELANDER :shifty: :oops: :icon-smile: from off of eBay.

Q1180325_zps6db54e33.jpg

Q1180327_zps5db88b04.jpg

Spliced them into the existing loom, joining the two filament feeds together :icon-smile:

Q1180329_zps7888dbed.jpg

Modified the lamp holder holes in the light clusters to accept the LandRover lamp holders :shifty:

R1180320_zps18b1154d.jpg

R1180321_zps1cc6e700.jpg

R1180323_zps0a756eb6.jpg

R1180325_zpsa97a3e71.jpg

R1180327_zpsb1d26282.jpg

Job done :dance:

R1300387_zps6203443b.jpg

A blaze of FOG lights and REVERSING lights :icon-biggrin:

R1300389_zps5e3f6398.jpg

R1180390_zpsc71cce8e.jpg

In the dark :icon-smile:

OFF
R1300392_zps28121445.jpg

ON
R1300393_zps5bc838a7.jpg

OFF
R1300394_zps804882ac.jpg

ON
R1300395_zpsfa9e8ef0.jpg

There, that didn't take so long to type, no idea why I left it so long! Must go now though as the wife is hardly humpy at all!!

Last edited:
Nice job Steven and a mod that many others will benefit from too - including me! Thanks.

I have a Prado with two reversing lights,i removed the offside one and used it for a fog light.(fitted a led red bulb)
there is no lights in the bumper of the prado.

There's certainly small differences & anomalies between the UK spec Colorado and the Prado. It is odd that a right hand drive Prado has the right hand reversing light all wired and working and the right hand drive Colorado actually has a section of the loom missing!? I had assumed that this was something to do with the dash loom having been flipped to accommodate the steering wheel being on the wrong side. It would be interesting to see if the Prado has the wire coming out of the opposite side of Harness Connector IM2 in the right hand bottom of the drivers footwell. The reason that the UK spec Colorado has the lights in the bumper or any UK spec 4x4 for that matter with the spare mounted on the rear door is due to the angle at which the rear lights must be viewable under Design & Construction. From what I understand the spare mounted on the rear door intersects this angle, so In the UK we have bumper mounted rear lights.

Last edited:
I bought new body lights from Roughtrax because they only cost slightly more than Toyota wants for the 3 bulb loom alone . These plug straight in but i soon realised the main loom plug had only 3 pins inside and light loom plug had 6 ! Just a warning for anyone thinking , as i did , that buying new lights meant a simple fix . It isn't .

Looks like a christmas tree now though :icon-biggrin:
2002_zps21e8fe32.jpg

Last edited:
The reason that the UK spec Colorado has the lights in the bumper or any UK spec 4x4 for that matter with the spare mounted on the rear door is due to the angle at which the rear lights must be viewable under Design & Construction. From what I understand the spare mounted on the rear door intersects this angle, so In the UK we have bumper mounted rear lights.
not sure it's because of the wheel and viewing angle, think it might be because the door is side hinged and covers the lights when open if they weren't in the bumper. I haven't looked at the regs, just a conversation I seem to remember having at some point with someone who knows about that kind of thing so I may be mistaken.

not sure it's because of the wheel and viewing angle, think it might be because the door is side hinged and covers the lights when open if they weren't in the bumper. I haven't looked at the regs, just a conversation I seem to remember having at some point with someone who knows about that kind of thing so I may be mistaken.
You may well be correct Jon, what I've said about it only comes from my readings over the years on the Internet and we all know how reliable this can be sometimes. I to have read about the lights being in the bumper of a UK 4x4 due to the rear door mounted spare obstructing the body mounted lights when the door is open. Maybe there's some truth in both examples.

Ironically i'm inclined to think the law states that any light attached to a vehicle must work . I always took the indicators off my dirtbikes because they broke too easy (meaning i could get stopped by police) but i couldn't get pulled for not having any at all .

Ironically i'm inclined to think the law states that any light attached to a vehicle must work . I always took the indicators off my dirtbikes because they broke too easy (meaning i could get stopped by police) but i couldn't get pulled for not having any at all .

I used to ride a bike as a teenager that had no lights at all, and the law at that time about 1959ish stated no lights were permissible (during daylight hours only) but all evidence of lighting circuitry including switches had to be removed as well, so if you only removed the indicators Shayne I think you could have been nicked.

Last edited:
Back