Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swb series 90

Micky

Country Flag
england
Hi guys,
I‘m thinking of purchasing a swb series 90.
I know they are few and far between but I’m in no rush.
If any of you can help, do they make good everyday as well as occasional green lane cars or would I be better looking for a 70 series.
cheers

Last edited:
Superb. I used to use mine happily for everyday driving including a daily a ten mile a day commute to workand for regular green laning. WIth a 2" lift its practically unstoppable (and very civilised on the road), though I suspect it would be almost as good unlifted with decent tyres and a working rear difflock. Highly recommended. The trick will be finding a good 'un with limited rust and reasonable miles nowadays.

Hi diggerdave
Thank you for your reply, what model would you go for?
Do they all have rear diff Locks?
I suppose anything under 200,000 would be ok

Last edited:
They are ace a hot hatch around town that will go anywhere any other unmodified 4x4 will go . The Mrs and i have slept in mine a few times with the seats folded so its bigger than you think .

UK models (Colorado) all have a locking rear diff .

The EU Prado's have an intercooler so more power but an LSD rear axle . Likely to be in better condition if you can find one .

Ireland got a mixture of both and they were simply badged "Landcruiser"

The 1KZ-TE engine has a reputation for overheating but generally due to lack of maintenance , if you buy one and fit a new radiator it should be nothing to worry about .

The last models around 2000/2001 got a D4D engine which runs via a lot more complicated electronics but gets a fair bit more power for lower mpg and is pretty much bomb proof though fuel pump suction control valves tend to need replacing at this age .

As with any cruiser this age the best one is pretty much dictated by how it looks from underneath , if it drives well and shows little rust its likely got a good few years left in it yet with a little TLC .

Hi Shayne
Thank you for your reply, that’s a great bit of information you have given me. I appreciate it.

Rust is probably the key.

Sills, rear axle including the two towers that support the upper trailing arms. and the rear part of the chassis. You won't find an immaculate one and you'll have to try to distinguish between tatty surface rust and more serious rot. They seem to last a lot better than other 4x4s of a similar age but there are some shocking rot boxes around that you should just walk away from.

Automatics have a specific weakness (mixing coolant into the trans oil through a perished rad - there's lots of threads about it) but I think I'm right in saying the UK SWB cars are all manual?

The rear diff lock is unlikely to work - a replacement part is £400 and hours of work and swearing to fit (but well worth the effort if you plan to green lane). Again there are lots of threads and advive on here.

Good luck!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks again diggerdave,

At the moment I drive a 1997 defender 90 county station wagon which I enjoy driving but it does not have AC and the like.
If I do find one I now know what to look out for.
Thanks guys

Hi mate that's what I use my LWB 90 series for and it does fine at both. I have the 3.4l petrol and that's still going strong at 384,500km.

Hi AdventureWagon,

Thank mate. Wow that’s some mileage.
I must see if I can find one now.

Good luck! If the motor and trans are sound I'd say the most important things to check would be rust, bushes, and lower ball joints. Mine needed lower control arms and lower ball joints doing at 370,000km. Also I think the diesels are interference (at least the 1KZ is) so you'll want documentary evidence the timing belt has been done or budget to do it immediately.

I had a shortie and it was fantastic. I put a front locker in it too. However, having had a LWB and a SWB, I would say that in truth the LWB was actually more capable off road. It's purely the wheelbase that makes the difference

Thanks Chris
I know that the lwb is a great vehicle but as parking is bad in my area and knowing my daughter who is quite small will want to drive it I will try for the swb

Perfectly valid reasons. Someone said the UK the SWB were all manual which is correct. Most if not all of the import shortie Prados were autos which are well worth considering.

Thanks Chris
I do prefer manuals.
Now to start looking.
Thanks to everyone for their input and advice

The only thing with the SWB manual is that the gearing is a little low. Fine around town but on long motorway runs the economy was awful. Compared to the auto at the same speed it does a lot more rpm. We don't buy these things for economy of course but having gone from the auto version to the manual it made me cry at the fuel pump. I bought an 80 after that and got the same MPG from the 4.2 as I did from the 3.0 1KZ-TE

1997 SWB Black mine from 1998 genuine 147,500 miles (an x-Toyota lease hire with 9999 miles - main dealer purchase). Exchange starter 2006, new water pump 2020, that's all I've done (+a super stainless steel through exhaust in 2002 she lifts her skirts up a bit more and it's a bit noisier !!)- but a great car, good fun, I would buy same again (but no need to change as no rust -much drier here in SW France- we've been here since 2004), it's a bit thirsty though , only downside(25 -28mpg)...

Last edited:
Back