Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swing out wheel carrier damage- what did I do wrong?

trektheandes

Country Flag
peru
Hi all,

Some advice please.

I had to remove the spare wheel carrier as it had done some damage to the C pillar. Which is why there is a dodgy replacement tail light- as the old one fell out with the movement of the carrier.

Can anyone see from the photos please what I did wrong support wise?

I had it put on by someone who supposedly knew what they were doing (and at the time I did not know any better).

Had to reweld the clip it clips onto a few times, which if I was brighter would have been a giveaway earlier on.

Have included a photo(penultimate) of the 2 supporting plates inside that were welded at the start.
It is an original Toyota wheel carrier- though for an 80 I think?

The carrier lasted 50,000km/ 2.5 years and included quite a lot of rough roads, unmarked speed bumps etc. The carrier itself is fine, just the bodywork.

Currently have the wheel on the roof, which is not ideal.
So, is there any obvious thing I missed that would allow it to be refitted properly and strong enough to cope.

Or do I need to either get an expensive bumper mounted swing out carrier, or keep it on the roof or inside.
It cannot go underneath, as have an LPG tank there.

Thanks
Mark

IMG_4463.JPG IMG_4466.JPG IMG_4463.JPG IMG_4466.JPG IMG_4462 (1).jpg IMG_4467 (1).jpg IMG_4471 (1).jpg IMG_4464 (1).jpg IMG_4468 (1).jpg IMG_4470 (1).jpg

It's a little hard to diagnose from here but there are a few basic facts about carriers that might help you.
This based on an 80 by the way.
There are two inner support brackets required for the inside of the inner quarter and IIRC only one of them is available from Toyota for some strange reason so typically you have to make up your own. Getting those right is critical because they have to sandwich the two halves inside and out. I can't see the correct (quite complex and sturdy) inner bracket in your pictures.

The next point is that bodies and chassis flex separately and it's not uncommon for people to fix things to both meaning that eventually they tear somewhere. Bumpers are attached to the chassis and the carrier is attached to the body.

Wheel are heavy and therefore need some kind of solid support when closed so that the weight isn't taken by the hinge or at least the hinge alone. Some carriers might have a catch on the boot, but not an actual support meaning that all that wiggling and jiggling causes problems.

I appreciate that's not a definitive answer, but in your forensic analysis, might just prove helpful.

Hi all,

Some advice please.

I had to remove the spare wheel carrier as it had done some damage to the C pillar. Which is why there is a dodgy replacement tail light- as the old one fell out with the movement of the carrier.

Can anyone see from the photos please what I did wrong support wise?

I had it put on by someone who supposedly knew what they were doing (and at the time I did not know any better).

Had to reweld the clip it clips onto a few times, which if I was brighter would have been a giveaway earlier on.

Have included a photo(penultimate) of the 2 supporting plates inside that were welded at the start.
It is an original Toyota wheel carrier- though for an 80 I think?

The carrier lasted 50,000km/ 2.5 years and included quite a lot of rough roads, unmarked speed bumps etc. The carrier itself is fine, just the bodywork.

Currently have the wheel on the roof, which is not ideal.
So, is there any obvious thing I missed that would allow it to be refitted properly and strong enough to cope.

Or do I need to either get an expensive bumper mounted swing out carrier, or keep it on the roof or inside.
It cannot go underneath, as have an LPG tank there.

Thanks
Mark

View attachment 161615 View attachment 161616 View attachment 161615 View attachment 161616 View attachment 161617 View attachment 161618 View attachment 161621 View attachment 161622 View attachment 161619 View attachment 161620
Hi Mark,
Might be worth looking at this thread.
oem style wheel carrier install
by
Jon Wildsmith

And I would put money on, not enough internal support, just as Chris suggested.

Looks like a 100 with swing out back doors from the pic's

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
So those plates that have been fitted have spread the load over the inside of tge panel. What is needed is to join them to the structure in the area not just the panel.

Not suggesting you did but i can imagine damage like that happening in minutes if you drove off forgetting to lock it shut which makes me wonder if the lock allows the wheel to hang rather than supports the weight like a third leg .

Thanks all. That makes a lot of sense. Shall leave it off I think then.

Shayne- the latch it locks onto broke a few times, so there definitely moments when it did swing free momentarily while driving which cannot have helped.

JibberJabber- it is a 105 with barn doors- just realised I posted in the 100 forum by mistake.

Thanks again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks all. That makes a lot of sense. Shall leave it off I think then.

Shayne- the latch it locks onto broke a few times, so there definitely moments when it did swing free momentarily while driving which cannot have helped.

JibberJabber- it is a 105 with barn doors- just realised I posted in the 100 forum by mistake.

Thanks again.
Easy mistake to make, 105 100 not far off :) Hasn't the 105 got a lot in common with the 80? Especially the running gear, I've not see a 105 in the flesh, so to speak, there's a chap round the corner from me with a 101, it's good to compare the differences sometimes, you don't relise that theres so many variants around the world markets.

My first 80 back in the 90's was a Jap import with a swing out spare wheel carrier, it was a lot more convenient than having the spare under the back, also the tyre pressure got checked more often:)

I've had 3 60's 2 80's and now this 100, I had the most fun in the 60's but I think the 80's was the best out of the herd, and as I'm retired now I don't use the 100 much (it's only done 88 thousand in over 15 years), so it will be a good buy for someone in the future especially with all the tinkering I've done to it (hobby now).

Anyway, I hope you get it all sorted. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back