Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

T Belt light not switching off

mussy

2 days ago the T Belt light came on.

No biggie, I thought. Take off the rubber cover on the speedo and press with a thin screwdriver.

Problem is it does seem to spring up and down. I checked on my other 80 and it definitely does not move even 1 mm.

Any suggestions what I can do? I am not sure I have the confidence to strip the dash and speedo without cocking something up!

No biggie, I thought. Take off the rubber cover on the speedo and press with a thin screwdriver.

Problem is it does seem to spring up and down. I checked on my other 80 and it definitely does not move even 1 mm.

Any suggestions what I can do? I am not sure I have the confidence to strip the dash and speedo without cocking something up!

Wait for it to go a few more miles and try again gently. It's just like a hidden trip counter in behind so it's all mechanical. Sometimes the bits get fully in line (if you know what I mean) and it's difficult to move them with the reset stick.

Having no handbook or other point of reference, when my T belt was changed ahead of time, and some time later the light came on, my service workshop guy removed the trip meter "stick" and inserted it where the rubber grommet is, and (I thought) twisted it.

Maybe he just pressed it, I'll never know, yet the light went out nevertheless.

Rich's advice above makes sense, sometimes my trip won't reset and I presume the mechanisms are the same or similar.

Having no handbook or other point of reference, when my T belt was changed ahead of time, and some time later the light came on, my service workshop guy removed the trip meter "stick" and inserted it where the rubber grommet is, and (I thought) twisted it.

Maybe he just pressed it, I'll never know, yet the light went out nevertheless.

Rich's advice above makes sense, sometimes my trip won't reset and I presume the mechanisms are the same or similar.

just tried to remove the trip meter stick and replicate what you said but no joy.

today I did 25 kms and still the button won't budge....bugger...

Hi Mussy

The bits below were taken out of a 1994 80 series so your speedo probably looks like this when stripped out:

Speedo reset switch A.jpg

The switch you are trying to use to reset the Timing Belt counter is on the bottom left. Seen from the side it is clearly a 'press to make' electric switch. Here it is before being depressed:
Speedo reset switch B.jpg

And here it is pressed:

Speedo reset switch C.jpg

Total movement is about 2mm. So pressing the switch in (while the ignition is switched on) should reset the counter inside. The switch connects to a tiny black box (just right of the green wires in the first image) which appears to count revolutions of the 10,000 section of the odometer, via the very top shaft connected to the counters by a cog. The only mechanical part of the Timing Belt reset process appears to be the button.

The trip counter reset is entirely mechanical.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
just tried to remove the trip meter stick and replicate what you said but no joy.

today I did 25 kms and still the button won't budge....bugger...

After those 2 posts, looks to be a try again with ignition on, or off, or one foot in a bowl of custard :lol:

Otherwise, 'fraid I've no idea.

Does it not electrically release a trip via a small solenoid that allows the belt counter to roll over to zero from 9999 (or whatever) so the reset (I believe) is electromechanical.

Does it not electrically release a trip via a small solenoid that allows the belt counter to roll over to zero from 9999 (or whatever) so the reset (I believe) is electromechanical.

The version I have pictured and described is from a 1994 80 series - which is the model Mussy is talking about. There is no belt counter and no solenoid.

Perhaps the model @joinerman pictures works as you describe. Brian what year is the odometer you have pictured?

Last edited:
Mine is like JM's with the third counter at the top. Not sure how yours works or whether it is earlier or later Byron or even whether the counter is somewhere else, which I guess it is as the reset switch must reset something.

We are clearly witnessing cruiser evolution here…:)

@mussy. As to what you can do.... Well I would say that if prodding the button and ensuring it is moving in and out again does not reset the counter then have two choices: Strip the dash or just simply ignore the light. The light is only a reminder so as long as you keep a record of when you last changed the belt and set some kind of reminder to change it again in 60,000 miles (or whatever) all will be well.

I have had the misery of stripping my dashboard many times. It requires no mechanical skills or special tools but can be a bit fiddly. I am pretty sure there is an article somewhere on here explaining how to go about it.

The problem is if you have the version of the Timing Belt reset I have described how do you fix it? The fault is likely to be the button does not make proper electrical contact to trigger the electronic counter or the counter itself is stuffed. Either way you are looking at replacing parts around the odometer and a right fiddly job that looks to be :grimacing:. So a replacement odometer etc is probably the easiest option.

So my advice would be to ignore the light and only take a look at it if you are stripping the dash for some other reason. On the other hand if you are feeling adventurous...

Mine is like JM's with the third counter at the top. Not sure how yours works or whether it is earlier or later Byron or even whether the counter is somewhere else, which I guess it is as the reset switch must reset something.

We are clearly witnessing cruiser evolution here…:)

Indeed :). The odometer I have described came out of my 1994. What year is your car Rich?

It's an 81 import. Which may make a difference. Looks like the change was made in '94.

Thanks for all the replies.

The button doesn't seem to have the same amount to of movement or spring compared to my other 80s.

If I get deep enough into the dash I suppose, I might get it to work. Other option would be to remove the bulb, perhaps?

I'll need to sort it out. My ocd won't let me have it on....

Thanks for all the replies.

I think it won't be as simple as removing the bulb as its an LED unit, the power to it will have to be cut off somehow.
As it is I'm having plenty of "speedo" fun myself as well as having a "timing belt light" issue as above.
BTW I'm so practiced at instrument binnacle removal I can get the instrument cluster out in 4 mins so its not hard.

BTW I'm so practiced at instrument binnacle removal I can get the instrument cluster out in 4 mins so its not hard.[/QUOTE]

Any tips/guidelines please for the removal?

For me it, takes 15 mins just for the upper dashboard. Because of having to disconnect all the switches.....

There is only the diff lock switch to disconnect, the panel then can be brought out of the way on the RHS of the steering col with all the switches still connected.Four screws holding the binnacle in place undo, rotate the binnacle towards you to expose the connectors ( they will be underneath), disconnect and remove the binnacle sideways to the right from behind the steering wheel.
The panel/trim with the switches is only clipped to the dash, it helps if you have a proper trim removing tool.

Hope this helps,

Got the speedometer
20160617_125349.jpg
out and removed the bulb. Simple twist off and problem solved....

Different set up to mine, its an LED in the rev counter. I'm guessing they are different on 12V's.

Back