Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

T Belt light not switching off

I think I would have been inclined to have gone the extra few screws and seen just why the rest wouldn't work. Perhaps that's the OCD part of my one remaining brain cell spluttering into life…

I had this problem on the green 80 (1993), my ocd wouldn't allow it either! The timing belt wasn't due, as I knew when it was last changed, so I removed the instrument binnacle to investigate. I found that the reset button had been pressed too hard at some point and had broken, a replacement binnacle was sourced from Karl, which I removed the switch from and fitted it to by binnacle, so mileage remained as it was. It wasn't a difficult job, just a little delicate.

I had this problem on the green 80 (1993), my ocd wouldn't allow it either! The timing belt wasn't due, as I knew when it was last changed, so I removed the instrument binnacle to investigate. I found that the reset button had been pressed too hard at some point and had broken, a replacement binnacle was sourced from Karl, which I removed the switch from and fitted it to by binnacle, so mileage remained as it was. It wasn't a difficult job, just a little delicate.

I think that is going to be the answer to my problem Scott, someone at some stage has buggered it up and just lived with it.
I'm trying at present to get a UK spec clock to work (120 mph) as I have a converted 180KM clock which reads right speed in MPH and counts in miles but doesnt look right. One thing I have found is there are so many variations and nothing is a straight swap, so many different lights and functions and variations of the circuit boards so its going to be a bit of a challenge.

IMG_0841_zps7dx1af8z.jpg
We'll see how I get on.

On my 94, the LED in the rev counter is for turbo over boost.

My 'T BELT' light is on at the moment, it is along the lower edge of the dash and has a bulb.

I note the volt meter in your picture is showing a little low as well?

I got all OCD with my dash and recalibrated all the gauges, including the fuel gauge.

regards

Dave

On my 94, the LED in the rev counter is for turbo over boost.

My 'T BELT' light is on at the moment, it is along the lower edge of the dash and has a bulb.

I note the volt meter in your picture is showing a little low as well?

I got all OCD with my dash and recalibrated all the gauges, including the fuel gauge.

regards

Dave

It had only been running about 5 sec when I took the photo.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gotcha, climbs after a few minutes right?

regards

Dave

Well, I'm in the same boat as some in the above.

New T belt today, full kit, but the bloody service didn't reset the warning light.

This is easy methinks, just pop the rubber bung and prod the pin with the back end of a biro.

Nah, press and press again, no. Press and hold... no.

Ignition on and press, no. Ignition on, press and hold, no.

I give up, I'll get the service to do it.... bugger.

Clive, I opened up the dash and then removed the light bulb. Took about 1 hour all in all and not difficult at all.....

This Clive
Thanks mussy, will do if they draw a blank.

For the first time in 11 years, they p!ssed me off today, what fool mechanic goes to all the trouble of replacing the T belt and all the trimmings without resetting the warning light, I ask you, huff.

Maybe it wouldn't reset for them, but they could of at least told me.

OCD creeping in here, it's soooo annoying :angry-screaming:

The light is triggered by a purely mechanical switch Clive, no ignition etc. Your right it should be a simple 'pull the bung push the button job'. If you are pulling the dash to remove the bulb (bloody rednecks :icon-biggrin:), as it will not reset then you might as well use a small screwdriver and click the counter back, the light goes out and will come back on circa 80,000 miles.

Regards

Dave

The light is triggered by a purely mechanical switch Clive, no ignition etc. Your right it should be a simple 'pull the bung push the button job'. If you are pulling the dash to remove the bulb (bloody rednecks :icon-biggrin:), as it will not reset then you might as well use a small screwdriver and click the counter back, the light goes out and will come back on circa 80,000 miles.

Regards

Dave

It's not my intention Dave. The workshop will deal with it, and if not I'll be thinking again. If it needs a part (new switch maybe) I'll see what's on offer.

Hi everyone I have a 75 series 1995 model land cruiser Ute and the Timing belt light came on at 501,000kms. My brother replaced the t-belt fine (he’s a mechanic) but the light won’t go out. I’ve pushed it with the key on then with it off then drove it around and tried again. I even disconnected my battery but it still on. Can anyone help me without having to wreck my Ute to get the light off?

I don't know about the 75 series Vicki, but taking the dash apart to get to the instrument cluster on the 80 series isn't too difficult to do if you're methodical. If yours is the same as the 80 and this is only a guess, it's a mechanical counter in the back like the trip counter which operates a switch so it doesn't need ignition on or anything. It's probably a case that it's got brittle and has broken somehow. You shouldn't need to wreck your truck to remove what you need to to get at the instruments. @Ben has probably more knowledge than most on the 70 series but I don't know if that extends to the 75.

Welcome to the forum BTW, we're a friendly helpful lot here. Pop over to the 'introduce yourself' section when you get the chance and tell us a bit about your truck and post up some photos. We love photos on here :)

Last edited:
Back