Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tail gate storage.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
thought Id share this with you for a laugh.

eventually finished my ply template, took it to the laser cutters, waited a week and gave them a ring. answer phone, tried again the next day, answer phone. hmm so I made the 12 mile journey to there place only to find the entire place shuttered up! nipped in the paint wholesalers next door and the women informed me they went bump last Tuesday.

I dropped the thing off on the Monday.. bastards!

so now I have to make the whole thing again, there was £30 worth of stainless piano hinge attached to it,and my tail gate has a huge hole in it and is all floppy... bastards!

I've heard there's lots go bust from my previous fabricators. They wouldn't have seen it coming, well the last order anyway. It would have been down tools and get out. Seen it once before.
Try getting a heads up when they are next getting a visit if some kind, auction, that sort of thing. Somebody will have keys. See if you can get somebody to give you a call if they see or hear of anything or any visits.

ive made some tentative enquiries rich, but its a little far to keep nipping over on the off chance.

I should of been fitting the thing now, but not to worry, ill get another made this weekend.

ive made some tentative enquiries rich, but its a little far to keep nipping over on the off chance.

I should of been fitting the thing now, but not to worry, ill get another made this weekend.

Sad news & hugely frustrating I'm sorry you had to go through this. :(

New hinges ordered. Fresh head for the weekend..

tail gate template.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks kingtom.
Got rained off today, new template made and dropped off at fabricators.
he assured me there not due to go bust anytime soon...

looking impressive well done there will you paint it or what's the finish gonna be like?
I think I will cover it in the factory carpet, will hardly notice its there.

the fog lights that we have on uk models nearly made me not bother with this, so I got rid of the issue..

tail gate storage 1.jpg
tail gate storage.jpg
tail gate storage 2.jpg

Bastards indeed, they could have at least let you know as soon as they did.

This is looking really neat.

I didn't look at this thread initially, because I've got ambulance doors on my 80, but the same idea might work on my big door at least.

My fogs are 100% external but I do have a wiper motor and mech to contend wil. The door card might be coming off this weekend so I can have a nose... :thumbup:

That is looking really impressive, and a great idea to make a template out of ply. Did they go into administration? Could you contact the administrators?

Like clive i've got barn doors and i've been wondering what to do with the little door for a while so some good inspration here.

Will be watching this thread with interest.

That is looking really impressive, and a great idea to make a template out of ply. Did they go into administration? Could you contact the administrators?

Like clive i've got barn doors and i've been wondering what to do with the little door for a while so some good inspration here.

Will be watching this thread with interest.
Thanks nick, my name and number is on the template so you never know, someone might contact me..

New hinges ordered. Fresh head for the weekend..

View attachment 123657
Hi Chapel gate, so sorry to hear of your troubles with losing first template...bummer! On another happier note I really like what you have designed and was thinking of doing something similar for my 94 HDJ80. Rather than reinvent the wheel maybe I could use all or some of your design? What are you having fabricated? IE stainless or other? I was thinking about incorporating a cutting board (plastic) of some kind since I seem to use the tailgate a lot of times for quick food prep.

Hi Chapel gate, so sorry to hear of your troubles with losing first template...bummer! On another happier note I really like what you have designed and was thinking of doing something similar for my 94 HDJ80. Rather than reinvent the wheel maybe I could use all or some of your design? What are you having fabricated? IE stainless or other? I was thinking about incorporating a cutting board (plastic) of some kind since I seem to use the tailgate a lot of times for quick food prep.
Hello mark, thanks for the compliments. Im afraid the tail gate storage solution is patented under the ye olde leek, staffordshire patent act, and this only really applies if you drink in the red lion...

Thanks for being a gentleman and asking first, copy what you want, although next week i will have a price on what one of these will cost if anyone is interested..

they will be made of 5mm aluminium with stainless fixings.

Well I'd certainly be interested. I wish I'd have thought of this before; I'd have got a group buy going.

Oh please no. I still wake at night thinking about it. I do have an idea for some rear window replacement lift up panels though ....

Seriously CG. looking good. if you can crack this then utmost respect. I'd love a set. We got close last time until my chap went bust ...

I read your thread chris, had a close call myself. will see what next week brings..

Hello mark, thanks for the compliments. Im afraid the tail gate storage solution is patented under the ye olde leek, staffordshire patent act, and this only really applies if you drink in the red lion...

Thanks for being a gentleman and asking first, copy what you want, although next week i will have a price on what one of these will cost if anyone is interested..

they will be made of 5mm aluminium with stainless fixings.
Hi CP add me to the list of interested please.

Hi Chapel Gate, thanks for the reply...patented certainly! Where is the red lion...sounds like another road trip for me if the beer is good? Ha! Yes, I am interested in what your completed fabrication price will be. Please advise when you finalize it. Maybe you can find more buyers to bring the fabrication cost down? As always, I have to worry about budget VS making it myself since I am skilled in both wood, welding and metal fabrication, but I already have a back list of too many projects to do. Your tailgate photo looks like my Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series rig but what vehicle is it specifically from? Also, I might suggest painting the inside of the tailgate with some kind of rino like product to protect the tailgate innards from scratching and rust. In addition, with your idea of putting the carpet back on, it might be made into a hidden locked storage area for valuables: like cameras, emergency travel cash, guns, binoculars, lap top computer or other. Thanks again for sharing your tailgate storage idea and photos!

Back