Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tappet adjustment

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
The other day @Chris mentioned that he thought my engine (1HZ) was a bit noisy and that it could be the tappets. I don’t, if I’m honest, know what these are but I’m pretty sure that they have never been done and the old girl now has 80,000 miles on her so looking at Toyotas recommendations they need doing.

The question is, for a while now, every now and again there is a tapping when I start her up. It normally goes once I have reved the engine for 30 seconds or so. I have looked all over the engine bay trying to find the source to no avail but I think it is coming from the area around the drive belts/ front of the engine. I’ve checked everything is tight and cant see anything obvious. Could the tappets cause this? And could it only occur sometimes?

Either way I’ll get it booked in to have them done.

Tappets can be slightly noisier on cold startup for the first few second until the oil reaches them. Camshaft end float can also cause a top end tapping noise if it's excessive. This can be checked while the lid is off to check/adjust the tappets. Compared to some modern diesels the 1H series are quite noisy. Compared to my old 300Tdi Disco my 1HD-FT sounds like a turbine.

A bit noisy is an understatement. I thought it was very noisy. Tappets might be contributing to this but weren't the sole source of the clattering.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 1HZ as a tapping noise sometimes and not others, it also goes after a few seconds. It has done it for the 3 years I have owned it but have no idea what it is tbh

My 1HZ sounds like a can of dried peas compared with more modern engines.

I had a tap, singular, and ran it into the service for tappet adjustment.

As far as I'm aware, there is no adjustment. They told me that they had changed the shim for the next size up on the noisy valve, and indeed the tapping sound disappeared. Great!

However on driving it it seemed noticably more sluggish (if there is such a thing when talking about 1HZs :lol:). So it went back in and they compression tested it, and sure enough the pot with the ‘next size up’ shim was down on compression. They reverted to the original shim and the compression was regained.

So, I have a tippy tappy engine, who cares if nothings going to blow.

I’m on 440k kms now, and it’s been tippy tappy for the last 220k km and 12 years...

Nothing’s perfect, even I have a bad back that nobody can fix...

Back