Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tapping engine noise like a fan blade catching.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.

I drove around yesterday for a few hours and car was fine but after i left my friends house i noticed a fan catching noise is the best way to describe it.
I stopped to check if something had come loose but everything seemed ok and since i was not driveing the noise was hardly noticable until i press the pedal.
I drove home and the car seemed fine but just very tappety and on excelaration the car seems fine from the standing lights.
I tried the kickdown to check the turbo was ok and the lack of power was noticable but seems an exceration fault of some sort but i may be way off the mark.
Car starts fine and i have checked all pipes and hoses thinking it may be the turbo fan but all seems ok.

Any ideas guys as all help is welcome.

After close inspection the noise seems to be coming from the crank case near the bulk head but no eml on so is this a bad crank or would a sensor cause this and if so why no eml on.

Last edited:
Hello guys.

I drove around yesterday for a few hours and car was fine but after i left my friends house i noticed a fan catching noise is the best way to describe it.
I stopped to check if something had come loose but everything seemed ok and since i was not driveing the noise was hardly noticable until i press the pedal.
I drove home and the car seemed fine but just very tappety and on excelaration the car seems fine from the standing lights.
I tried the kickdown to check the turbo was ok and the lack of power was noticable but seems an exceration fault of some sort but i may be way off the mark.
Car starts fine and i have checked all pipes and hoses thinking it may be the turbo fan but all seems ok.

Any ideas guys as all help is welcome.

After close inspection the noise seems to be coming from the crank case near the bulk head but no eml on so is this a bad crank or would a sensor cause this and if so why no eml on.
------------------

G`day, I would suspect a crack in the Drive Plate / Ring Gear.

Cheers.

------------------

G`day, I would suspect a crack in the Drive Plate / Ring Gear.

Cheers.
thanks for the reply mike and been told cud be a dry tappet or oil fill valve but car drives ok and getting it sorted next week.

A bad crank position sensor can lead to poor injection timing and diesel knock. One way of checking is simply by unplugging the crank sensor and seeing if there's a difference. There is night and day difference with it connected.

A bad crank position sensor can lead to poor injection timing and diesel knock. One way of checking is simply by unplugging the crank sensor and seeing if there's a difference. There is night and day difference with it connected.

1ST were is the crank sensor connection located.
2ND what do u mean night and day difference.
3RD it is only noticed when I rev the engine but just as noticeably when i slow down and speed up slowly thats when its noticable but on tick over when its warm and idle speed its very low .

go on youtube and eric the car guy has clip called ( 2001 jeep grand Cherokee engine noise 4.0l ) but his is 10 time worse than mine but similar in sound.

hope this helps and thanks beau.

Crank sensor is located just below the starter motor. Simple two pin plug I believe. By night and day difference, I mean with a good working engine, if you unplug this the motor will start knocking which is due to poor injection timing. This would be noticeable from idle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back