Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tapping into a 12v source at the dash

warrenpfo

I need to tap into a 12v source for my gps at the dash or drivers side kickwell and just thought i would ask if there is a best place?

Cig lighter

Sent from TapaTalk

The cig lighter is a good'un for sure but will go on & off with the ignition & found this effected my GPS sometimes crashing/rebooting it :roll: So I bought a dedicated hard wired mini USB power supply for mine found a permanent supply in the loom below the steering coulomb & hard wired it in through a small local fuse & an illuminated switch :thumbup: You can often find a permanent live in the wiring loom feeding the radio very easily :)

P3180334.jpg

P3180335.jpg

P3180348.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The best place to tap into a live feed is at the battery, via a fuse of course. These things have a habit of multiplying and before you know it you'll have several devices running off a wire of unknown capacity if you just tap into something that shows positive under the dash. It's easy to get a wire from the battery into the cabin on a 100 as well so there's no excuse ;)

What he said. Pull in a decent feed and earth and run an auxiliary fuse box under the dash so everything has it's own earth leakage. Online autoelectric places do some great kits ...

The unit does have its own 2amp fuse inline but I know i should pull a dedicated line...

A dedicated supply from the battery is a nice thing to have, but it's a bit OTT for a silly little 0.5amp supply for a SAT Nav isn't it :?: :!: I'd just pull the radio out, find the permanent live feed for the memory & use that :) So long as your very careful with the installation either soldering & heat shrinking as required or using the correct size insulation displacement connectors & a local fuse appropriately sized for the supply to the SAT NAV all will be absolutely fine :thumbup: Oh & use plenty of good quality insulation tape to secure all of the new cabling along existing looms etc keeping it all well clear of any sharp edges or moving parts such as the steering columb or pedals or heater controls :)

I've fed my SAT NAV from off of the permanent live feed to the radio using a 2amp local fuse for protection :D

I find running a wire from the battery is quicker than taking your dash apart, hunting for and tapping into a wire and then putting your dash back together ;) Modern vehicles have very little spare capacity in their wiring and some of it is barely adequate for the job it was designed for never mind additional loads. Just offering my opinion though.

If you have quite a few devices you plan to power and all would be from some central position where that fuse box would go then it would 'do' but you may find it's more than you really need right now :) If you just want to power your GPS for now but build in some future proofing I really was just suggesting a wire from the battery via a maxi fuse close to the battery to a convenient point in the cab and then power your GPS from that. Then when you're ready to get fancy you can add a fuse box and power multiple devices. Fairly quick and simple to do and can be built on later.

Back