Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Technical Benefits of a Snorkel

TheHaz

Country Flag
spain
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question if I may. I recently bought a LJ77 (2L-T, 233km, overall in great condition) and making a list of suitable modifications.

Does anyone know the actual technical benefits of fitting a snorkel onto my car? I'd like to not drill into the side of the vehicle if I can avoid it. Is it fair to say I can just regularly change the air filter and generally ensure its always clean?

Apart from a snorkel looking badass I'm trying to ascertain whether I can get away with not fitting it.

live in Spain and plan to make trips to the Sahara and explore other parts of Africa (perhaps 5,000km per year). I'm not anticipating extreme off roading. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks inadvance.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 22.31.30.png Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 22.31.00.png

Iam sure others will chip in but the advantages I think are 2 fold

Your air intake, if like mine, is in the inner wing, so
1) driving in dusty conditions you will draw more debris into the filter, clogging it up. More servicing and swap out needed

2) if driving through deep water you can draw water into the engine which can be terminal.

That's my thoughts any way.

As I see it the main benefit of a snorkel if you are not making deep water crossings or wading is that it is higher up and theoretically supplies cleaner air to the filter, only beneficial if you are operating in dusty conditions.
I have personally seen the difference with trucks operating in dusty conditions in Botswana, same make and model, some with and some without raised air intakes.
The ones without raised air intakes always had a more clogged air filter.

I've never seen the need, unless your a spending a lot of time in dusty conditions behind other vehicles. When I'm out in the desert the filter gets blown out if its been bad, I very rarely get a lot of dust build up, but I'm normally the lead vehicle if in a group.

Iam sure others will chip in but the advantages I think are 2 fold

Your air intake, if like mine, is in the inner wing, so
1) driving in dusty conditions you will draw more debris into the filter, clogging it up. More servicing and swap out needed

2) if driving through deep water you can draw water into the engine which can be terminal.

That's my thoughts any way.

Yep, I totally agree, one trip with dusty conditions will confirm to you it was a wise choice to fit a snorkel, May I suggest the “ Donaldson” centrifugal top filter as an added bonus, amazing piece of kit, snorkel plus top centrifugal filter , when you inspect your centrifugal filter you will be quite surprised how much of the dust has NOT reached your engine.
Best regards to all, Bill Westley

Welcome...

Where abouts in Spain are you based? There are a few of us based in the south [Ugijar, Aguilas & Malaga] who try to get out in Tabernas, Gorafe and wider afield a few times a year and occasionally the lads from France join us. Nothing too strenuous but most enjoyable.

I have a snorkel but as I usually lead that doesn't really count but half of the others do and half don't... so as long as you change your filter regularly you should be fine. It can get a bit dusty but none of us has suffered as a consequence.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm in the "don't bother" camp on this one.I do a fair amount of pistas & have got a genuine Toyota washable filter.Maybe there's one available for the 2 LT ?
Also in Spain you have the added complication of any mod with the need for a "project" & several visits to your local ITV & a fair amount of €.
Nice Landcuiser BTW & welcome.

@goodoldboy makes an excellent point - modifications in Spain are costly and usually involve engineer's reports, item itself having been registered in the Spanish system and no of that takes into account the whims of the inspector at the ITV station.
Just not worth the hassle for a snorkel

Regards,

Rodger

I've never seen the need, unless your a spending a lot of time in dusty conditions behind other vehicles. When I'm out in the desert the filter gets blown out if its been bad, I very rarely get a lot of dust build up, but I'm normally the lead vehicle if in a group.
@goodoldboy makes an excellent point - modifications in Spain are costly and usually involve engineer's reports, item itself having been registered in the Spanish system and no of that takes into account the whims of the inspector at the ITV station.
Just not worth the hassle for a snorkel

Regards,

Rodger

Thank for sharing your thoughts, really appreciate the view. Yes, I don't think I'll bother with the snorkel. It's not so much the hassle at the local ITV, the mechanics next to my ITV are a decent bunch and I'm sure would assist getting the necessary sorted. It's more I'd rather keep the body intact if possible.

I picked the car up from a seller in Cádiz a couple of weeks ago....it had a full service history since new so seemed a good buy.

I'm based in Madrid and in the south quite often so would be great to catchup with some of you if you're making some trips :)

I'm in the "don't bother" camp on this one.I do a fair amount of pistas & have got a genuine Toyota washable filter.Maybe there's one available for the 2 LT ?
Also in Spain you have the added complication of any mod with the need for a "project" & several visits to your local ITV & a fair amount of €.
Nice Landcuiser BTW & welcome.

Thanks, I'll have a look for a genuine Toyota washable for the 2 LT.

I don't like snorkels but having found a muddy waterline inside my air box after a deep water crossing once , and having removed my filter to bang out the dust at the side of the road after half hour being 4th car in convoy on a particularly dusty stretch and being shocked at how much had collected on the filter i have no doubt the ends justify the means when it comes to fitting a snorkel .

I share your reluctance to cut holes in the body but the fact is once its fitted it will never be removed so the holes are hidden forever .

I've fitted a cheap Ebay one to my 100 and I'm very happy with it, It helps keep the dust out of the air filter and also allows for cooler air intake. The Ebay one I got seems to be a pretty good copy of the much more expensive ones and as long as it's fitted well it will do the job. I don't see why anyone would pay over the odds for a Safari one.

And you're right it looks great as well...

The benefit is less dust.

The factory Toyota ones are not waterproof anyway, so don't trust them for deep water crossings.

Apparently some of the aftermarket ones claim to be waterproof.

Another benefit of a snorkel is not only clean Air but cooler air. It's like an upside down cold air intake for a sports car.

I have fitted one to mine, but primarily because I have gone through deep water in the past and seen moisture in the air box before. But not since I've fitted the raised air intake......I sealed up all the connecting pipework too.

For those who have a snorkel, have you closed off the drain holes in the filter housing? The rubber oneway type of valve on mine is quite hard and doesn't look like it would stop water ingress if it was deep enough.

From practical observation: 98% looks/image, 1% dust (and only with the right cyclone top, else you make it worse - you're drawing in fine particulates), 1% wading (assuming everything else is water proofed).

I had one on my challenge truck for deep water, as regularly went 3 feet+. The one on the 80 was fitted by the previous owner and is only still there to avoid a bloody great hole in the wing.

I think snorkels look bloody ugly hence some 8 years after i got into all this i still haven't fitted one , its the better safe than sorry angle that tells me i should .

Back