Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tesco doing a deal on 10w 40

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Changed the lad's oil the other weekend and was staggered that my local parts place charged me £25 for a gallon of oil AFTER discount. £41 for an oil and filter - which he never paid me for I might add.

So this lunchtime I was in Tesco. They have 2 litre pots of semi-synth in 10w 40 (and many other grades too actually) at a fiver each. I did the quick maths and realised that was £25 for an 80 series sump full. I also had £7.50 worth of vouchers.

I filled my trolley.

Now this isn't meant to be a competition as to who can find the cheapest oil anywhere. I'm just saying, £2.50 a litre is close enough for me. Ok so someone will say it's not genuine Toyota oil, not that I have ever seen a Toyota refinery. But don't confuse me with someone who cares. It's oil and has some numbers on the back and will only go a few thousand miles and get changed again.

If you want to pour unicorn tears into your engine at ridiculous prices then be my guest. I'm not driving my Lambo at the present or the Pagani, so this will go into the thumping great big 4.2l commercial engine up front of the Cruiser.

I'm with you on the "oil thing" Chris, I've never used Toyota oil in a Toyota I've owned and none have suffered the consequences . Unless it's an ultra modern unit its not critical in the least.

No problem with that philosophy Chris, fair play.

Trusted oil and filter here sets me back almost £90 a shot.... :think:

That seems like a good deal from what I recall last buying oil in the UK. Also don't think Toyota even produce/refine there own oil, I'm sure it's someone like castrol or mobile 1 that supply them.

I'm still using mineral in my KZ lump and change it every 5000-7000 miles.

That seems like a good deal from what I recall last buying oil in the UK. Also don't think Toyota even produce/refine there own oil, I'm sure it's someone like castrol or mobile 1 that supply them.

I'm still using mineral in my KZ lump and change it every 5000-7000 miles.

I use what they call part synth, changed every 10k km.

£90 wow that's steep
Probably have to have the Hilux serviced st dealer just for the third and last stamp in the book
Bracing myself for that especially when they probably get their oil from Tesco

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+1 on the budget oil philosophy. Paid just over £2/L recently at JTF for 10/40 SS Carlube Triple R for the 80. Even some of the cheaper stuff is "over specced" for the old 1H series lumps so a waste of money for anything higher IMO. For a 1400cc 200bhp high revving SOTA motorcycle engine then maybe....

£90 wow that's steep
Probably have to have the Hilux serviced st dealer just for the third and last stamp in the book
Bracing myself for that especially when they probably get their oil from Tesco

It is steep, but the alternative can be scary.

I don't know how true it is, but one guy told me he bought "genuine" Castrol GTX in a sealed "genuine" and convincing container, and found out it was made on a ship anchored in the middle of the black sea, probably filtered used oil that they process on the ship to make it look clear and new.

For the last 50k miles I have used Euro Car Parts Tripple QX semi synth 10w40 with a genuine filter.
Oil is swapped every 6k miles so it gets about 3 swaps a year with me.
Price wise Euro sells it for between £19 & £21 plus vat for 20lts depending on any offers etc, I am an account customer so that maybe that helps?

I've started buying oil from Costco - they do Chevron Supreme 20l tubs in Semi-synth or fully synth (can't remember the exact grades- IIRC it was 10w-40 and 5w-30) for about £45 and £55 respectively. Though I'm still using up my stocks of Halfords stuff from when they had a special offer.

I just bought a 20l drum of the fully synth stuff and intend to use it on both the Cruiser and Yaris - they don't get spoiled with 3k mile oil changes but I do go by the book, which is 9/10k or 1 year and OEM filters.

Last edited:
Shame you guys don't have a Tesco nearby. 20l £25?

I'll take a look tomorrow. Though at this rate, I'll have more oil stocks than Aramco in my garage.......:icon-rolleyes:

You may well, but I can guarantee you one thing, oil ain't going to be getting cheaper any time soon. I'm stocked up on oil, filters, diesel and of course, Landcruisers.

I've always stuck to Morris's Multivis, good spec oil, semi synthetic, exceeds the spec of Mobil 1 which Toyota told me they use. Clive, I'm quite happy to bring you some over. I'll get a price but I think it is not much more than the Tesco price.

We've been boycotting Tesco for about the last 10 years (though it doesn't look like we've hurt them) due to their aggressive policy of putting smaller shops out of business which they've done a lot round here.

Years back it was always Comma oil for basic cars and Morris's for the high end stuff, good to hear they are still going.

Here I get Repsol oils, a trade deal with a local supplier makes it a no brainer for me.

Regards

Dave

Going strong Dave and extremely helpful.

Same here! I purchase Marly 10w40 per 10 liters (in some places they sell them per 30, but maybe this quantity becomes a bit unpractical...) With the type of engines most of us have I think regular changes are more important than the quality that you put into it. I also once had to change mine with full synthetic oil that came in 1 liter bottles...will never do that again! :)

Halfords with the trade card usually gets a good deal too.
I change mine every year, it's always pretty clean what comes out but doesn't do big miles, genuine filter.

That's a good price at Tesco

I think it's worth mentioning as well that long term, a quality oil filter will do the engine oil, and thus engine more use than aftermarket ones. I've been using Milner Bosche brand for years now, but I'm sure the Toyota filter has better filtration, and it also has that non return valve so oil pressure gets reached a couple seconds quicker on startup.

I'm certain that genuine filters do filter better my last change with an oem left the oil clean still after 1000 miles
The Milner one didn't
Not saying they're no good but the gen ones especially if you can pick one up cheap do seem better

Back