Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Testing 4WD functions on a 70

Trevor

Country Flag
england
I'm going to look at a 70 on Saturday, seems tidy enough and plenty of mods already done. Can anyone give me a quick and easy cheat sheet to test the 4WD functions. Would hate to find I buy only to have expensive bills if there are issues.

I will take a trolley jack to lift corners etc but am still a bit confused in what to look for.

Cheers

Test low range on the transfer box. If it's hard to shift into low that could indicate a problem or development of one. Also once in low put it in second and drive it around. Give it the odd burst of acceleration and make sure the transfer box doesn't pop out of low. I had a mate with an old discovery that had a habit of doing this. Not sure if the LC's were ever susceptible but worth a check anyway.
Check the hubs lock okay and appropriate lights come on the dash.
Then the ideal checks: any whines vibrations sounds flunks that seem out of order.
Check oil and water. Low oil or really dirty oil could indicate a lack of servicing. Milky residue would indicate possibility of a blown headgasket. Check coolant condition again dirty or milky would indicate possible neglect or head problems. The 2.4td is apparently susceptible to cracking heads. Male sure you look under
the radiator cap too, when the motor has cooled down.

Check tyre wear. Uneven wear could indicate issues. Check for rust underneath the windscreen rubbers, in the corners especially.

There's plenty more you could check. Depends on how much time you have. Try have a look at previous mot's to see what advisory's it may have had.

No doubt others will chime in with more checks.

Which model 70 you looking at Trevor? The 4wd systems differ a little between the jap and uk light duty models. Or are you looking at a HD model? :twisted:

Jim.

LJ70 VX 2.4 Turbo SWB circa 1989, with the round headlights.

When you test the 4wd do it on a loose surface - not tarmac or concrete or you'll get transmission wind-up.

Easy to check if the 4wd transmission components are working if you can jack both front wheels off the ground (trolley jack under diff). With hubs locked in and the T box in 2wd hold each front wheel still in turn while you rotate the other and check that the front prop-shaft rotates (obviously this takes two people). Then unlock the hubs, jack up the rear axle, put the T box in 4H and rotate one back wheel while holding the other still. The front propshaft should rotate (this will require a bit more beef). Repeat in 4L. If this is all OK then you need to check the T box goes into 4wd when you press the dashboard button and when you move the T box lever into 4L.

Appreciate the tips, it's a longish drive back oop north to have a view at this one and this will help me make up my mind.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
John_McCartney said:
When you test the 4wd do it on a loose surface - not tarmac or concrete or you'll get transmission wind-up.

Easy to check if the 4wd transmission components are working if you can jack both front wheels off the ground (trolley jack under diff). With hubs locked in and the T box in 2wd hold each front wheel still in turn while you rotate the other and check that the front prop-shaft rotates (obviously this takes two people). Then unlock the hubs, jack up the rear axle, put the T box in 4H and rotate one back wheel while holding the other still. The front propshaft should rotate (this will require a bit more beef). Repeat in 4L. If this is all OK then you need to check the T box goes into 4wd when you press the dashboard button and when you move the T box lever into 4L.

If you jack up under the diff., you only need to lift the off-side wheel. That way you don't need two people. Also the 4 wheel drive is actuated by vacuum, so you need the engine running.

Roger

To chime in with my 2c, I doubt the 4WD functions are likely to be the source of hidden and expensive problems.
As has been suggested, the 2.4 engine can crack its head, so that would be my 1st check!
Take along your 24mm socket and a rubber glove ( :shhh: ) and check that the diff oils aren't contaminated. Otherwise all the normal checks should be followed (rust, gearbox functions, diff-lock operation if it has them).

There are quite a few 70 owners up North - why not mention where the truck is and see if there is a local 70 owner who could possibly tag along and cast his expert eye on the truck for you? That would probably give you more peace of mind :idea:

Cheers,

If you jack up under the diff., you only need to lift the off-side wheel. That way you don't need two people.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Now my Wife is asking why she always had to come along and get her hands dirty!

Nice idea Andrew, so any volunteers with LJ70 knowledge fancy joining me at 10-00am Saturday outside Stockport? :pray: PM me if you can.

West Coast Overland are in that neck of the woods, no? If you can't find any local members, you could probably arrange to take the truck to WCO and have them cast their expert eyes over it :idea: They've done a fair bit of work on 70s so I would think they'd be better qualified than most to inspect it - you might just have got lucky with the location there!

The small problem I have is that the current owner does not have the truck insured and I won't invoke mine unless I purchase it. If no one is around I'm sure I can get through the basics. He has had the head done and other bits and pieces, so long as he can produce receipts to that effect I'll be happy that it has been done.

It really was the 4WD operation but there have been some good answers in this thread, so I'll see what I see when I get there and quite happy to walk away if it doesn't look or feel right.

Well chaps, great advice and help as ever. Everything checked out and I bought it, happy days. Thanks once again.

Well done mate ...

now you've bought it .... where are the pics :D

On their way, will post tomorrow after I take Mrs Trev shopping <sigh> but that was the deal.

Well done with the choice of LC! Good luck with it, looking forward to some pics

so are you pleased with it so far? how was the drive back?

very much looking forward to seeing the pics. :thumbup:

im looking forward to the next Lincomb, should make things a bit more competitive if theres another 70 there! :twisted:

what mods are you planning for it?

if you need a hand with anything or advice give me a shout mate. :thumbup:

Cheers guys,

Ben, the drive back was, well, sloooow and had to keep an eye on the temp. The fan is a manual switched from the dash so I ended up leaving it running all the time but slowed down on uphill bits to stop it from cooking. Averaged about 60 mph on the motorway. I think the rad needs a go over with the jetwash to clear out mud from the fins, it's a recent new rad so should be ok.

The best part is watching other peoples faces as they pass you, the young kids loved it, blokes my age gave thje odd approving look and nod and middle Briatain was disgusted such a thing should be on the road.

I have some ideas on mods but for now (and while I save up again) will enjoy her as she is, in fact Ben you might just live to regret your kind offer in the last post :lol:

Want to spend a day with you in Shropshire and learn how to handle the 70, I'm sure you will have some pointers for me when you see her.

Back