Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The beast died...sorta

Marsha5209

Country Flag
canada
Hola,
I just moved to costa rica where cruisers are the plague, they are everywhere. That said, I bought one for my daily driver and it was a blast until it slipped a bearing on the number four cylinder. The mech has pointed out that someone has been in the engine previously (a B) as the bearings are .25 but its but understanding they are .20. So I have a line on a couple used motors, one from Japan and another that was pulled from a jeep here. I think the cost of the used motor out weighs the overhaul Anyone else gone through this head ache?

20181107_124251.jpg 20181107_124245.jpg 20181107_124234.jpg

I guess it depends on whether the crank and / or conrod has suffered but if they are sound then surely, after checking with micrometer and engineers' blue, new BEBs would be cheaper, particularly as to obtain the photos the engine must already be in bits. After all you know that before number 4 spun up that the engine was good, etc. Are there any guarantees with either of the other engines? Have you heard them running?
Certainly it's not a common problem as Bs re very reliable engines.
For me, better the devil you know.....

Regards,

Rodger

Have to agree with Rodger. If everything else is good, just repair what isn’t and check the other big end shells and crank too. There’s Plastigauge which can be used to determine the correct clearances on the bearings.
It’s very easy to pronounce a huge fix like an engine swap but it’s far better to fix what you have rather than importing an unknown engine into the mix.

Back