Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

I was just wondering what folks are doing to help out neighbours & the wider community? A lot of initiatives have appeared in my local area , a launderette is offering free collection & delivery for those that need it as well as bringing shopping.Isnt there a network of 4x4 owners in the UK?

Politicians don't give a toss about people dying because money makes the world go around , but right now globally they are willfully and with haste trashing their own countries economy - IN FEAR .

What else does anyone need to know ?

I have a big bag of Skittles in my cupboard. I'll keep and trade for toilet paper.
Put me down for ten, not inc postage. :):)

Or we could use the skittles to throw at the Zombie version of Covid-19, thats the next thing the scaremongering newspapers will conjure up.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the schools closed all the kids are playing football up the reck.

We had our very own smash and grab last night in the Town... They used a 360 to get into Tesco. Left all the Bog roll and Pasta... Just made off withe the cash Machines.. 3 of em, 'Weird'... Only in Dover.... Made off in two Mitsubishi Shoguns...... Class!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Stuck in Morocco, Evac flights full, unable to book and priority is given to people who flew out. All flights stop today.

No ferries back to Spain for the foreseeable future, ferries from Ceuta running but its unclear if you can then drive through Spain to get home. Some people have managed it others stopped by the police and told they can't.

Uk government support so far is only helping package holiday makers with limited info for the campervan, Overland brigade.

Been minimising risk by staying camping out in the desert and generally away from towns and lots of people. So far only 50 cases here a some are tourists and Moroccans who had been to Italy.

Its scary how its developing and have all options to get home eliminated for at least the next 14 days but there's a lot of us here in the same situation, making the best of it and enjoying the good weather
Any news with regard to your repatriation yet ?

Yes like you i spent 40 years studying medical science , or perhaps i just wanted to go down barry island with a baseball bat and inflict some very immediate consequences because i'm sick of reading about it .

Perhaps you can give us an educated answer to how long an animal virus typically takes to transmit to humans and then evolve so it can spread from human to human and adapt again so it can survive longer . Obviously they are all different but i expect the answer to be in years not weeks .

The only medical science I get is via data science, but understandably there has been quite a lot written or republished recently about finding and predicting mutation patterns. If it does mutate particularly quickly, and I haven't seen anything to say it does [1], that actually helps the predictions because there are more data points. Don't know about the animal to human thing, but I assume you can just look at the wiki for avian and swine flu. The problem my be it just hasn't happened very much in the past and without much data predictions will be very risky.

This looks like a much better example to show it can also seriously affect young people. Although again, it's only the Metro, not the Lancet. https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/23/coro...s-experience-unable-breathe-unaided-12441487/

[1] edited after a quick google which suggests it doesn't mutate at a significantly different rate to any other RNA virus :https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/03/tracking-covid-19-trevor-bedford.html
You may have seen alternative research summarised. I'd be interested if you have.

Last edited:
Any news with regard to your repatriation yet ?

No looks like we are here for the duration. Had contact from the Embassy today so we are known about by the authorities.

We're lucky to have a good group here, including a doctor and 2 nurses. We got permits today to allow us to leave the village for shopping but we can come and go locally.

I won't be exploring any new pistes for a while but we can walk along the coast, go to the beech etc.

Currently no way out and the State of Emergency ends on the 20th April so looks like we will be here until then.

Last edited:
No looks like we are here for the duration. Had contact from the Embassy today so we are known about bu the authorities.

We're lucky to have a good group here, including a doctor and 2 nurses. We got permits to fay to allow us to leave the village for shopping but we can come and go locally.

I won't be exploring any new pistes for a while but we can walk along the coast, go to the beech etc.

Currently no way out and the State of Emergency ends on the 20th April so looks like we will be until then.
Oh well at least it sounds like you safe, keep up the blitz sprit.

Best of luck.

Not too much excitement at our end in Romania.
Gvt called for self isolation till 31st March, schools closed and so wife Aura and me are holed up at the house (out of city) working from home with daughter Ana getting home schooling on the interweb.... pretty neat really, it’s better here than being in the city.

Gvt suggesting that from 1st April, isolation will be mandatory for 2 weeks. It makes no difference to us TBH, I’m actually more than happy to be able to work from home.

Self isolation translates to two trips to the local shop since coming here a week last Friday, and fresh stuff like eggs and cheese we buy home-produce from the small holding neighbours. We leave money at the gate and they leave the goods, no contact bar a wave over the fences and a fair bit of shouting pleasantries.

As for anyone we know contracting the virus the answer is no. The only effect I’m aware of is on work, where an expert report were desperate to receive is late, the expert apologized and informed us that his wife is pregnant ready to drop in hospital, and her father lost his fight with the virus which has put the expert’s schedule out of kilter. We got the report yesterday, so we’re back on track with the case.

Otherwise life goes on in a strangish sort of way, normal but not.... we’ll see.

Stay safe all, and look after your oldies and the like....

Not too much excitement at our end in Romania.
Gvt called for self isolation till 31st March, schools closed and so wife Aura and me are holed up at the house (out of city) working from home with daughter Ana getting home schooling on the interweb.... pretty neat really, it’s better here than being in the city.

Gvt suggesting that from 1st April, isolation will be mandatory for 2 weeks. It makes no difference to us TBH, I’m actually more than happy to be able to work from home.

Self isolation translates to two trips to the local shop since coming here a week last Friday, and fresh stuff like eggs and cheese we buy home-produce from the small holding neighbours. We leave money at the gate and they leave the goods, no contact bar a wave over the fences and a fair bit of shouting pleasantries.

As for anyone we know contracting the virus the answer is no. The only effect I’m aware of is on work, where an expert report were desperate to receive is late, the expert apologized and informed us that his wife is pregnant ready to drop in hospital, and her father lost his fight with the virus which has put the expert’s schedule out of kilter. We got the report yesterday, so we’re back on track with the case.

Otherwise life goes on in a strangish sort of way, normal but not.... we’ll see.

Stay safe all, and look after your oldies and the like....
Why do you shout profanities at the gate ?

Dam this 'spell check' It's supposed to say 'pleasantpasties'
I think it was pleasantries I typed JJ, well I meant to anyways...

Latest news just in, the 7th COVID-19 victim died today here in Romania. RIP.

Sorry I have a warped sense of humour, it's a bug I have to bear

Glad to here your all hunkered down.

Stay safe. :thumbup:

Ha, ha, that one backfired a treat JJ, nice try though.

Spring is springing here, I even thought I might have to cut the grass this week, but all that stopped when Last night we had this...

C878B526-2325-423E-8820-EAA3B6595AB0.jpeg

but by this afternoon, it had all but gone....

E55BFEAA-9735-4462-94C8-B6A003C927DA.jpeg

D4A3FCA4-9389-4C5D-92BB-52F4E812BCBB.jpeg

Snow is still forecast for the next 2 days, but I don’t think it will come to much...

Spring is springing here, I even thought I might have to cut the grass this week, but all that stopped when Last night we had this...

View attachment 164594

View attachment 164593

View attachment 164595

Snow is still forecast for the next 2 days, but I don’t think it will come to much...
You would have thought the cold would be good for killing of bugs.

The weather is sunny here for the best part of this week, so all the idiots have gone out, and all the kids that are now off school are up the park playing football, there really are some fools that are treating this as a holiday, unfortunately they'll learn the hard way, or others will at their expense.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 164594

View attachment 164593

View attachment 164595

Great photos, is that all your property ? The only thing missing from the first pic are Christmas lights in the tree.

Take note.

'Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures'

Mean that actions that might seem extreme under normal circumstances are appropriate during adversity.

Great photos, is that all your property ? The only thing missing from the first pic are Christmas lights in the tree.

Yep, that’s our place... we used to decorate one of the trees at the side of the house, last photo on the left, till I couldn't reach the top anymore. We planted it when daughter Ana was born, she and the tree are now 11, and the tree is 3m tall.
Thankfully, Ana's only 1.55m (so far)...

Pay us a visit when the curfew ends, maybe in the summer .... :thumbup:

Back