The corona virus thread

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Observations.

How is it effecting your life so far?

What precautions have you started to take?

Do you know anyone who has the virus?

This might be a good place for some solid advice and tips too.

I'm getting the feeling this one might not just blow over..

Well as I have an underlying lung condition Farmers Lung I'm keeping away from people as much as I can but certainly not locking myself in at home. At moment I go down my shed as normal every day doing stuff as normal, them that is pretty much self isolating as don't see anyone down there to much.

As of 19-03-2020.

Not very much at the mo, I have always taken the dogs out for a walk at 05:30, there never used to be a sole around, but over the last week I have noticed there are more dog walkers around, my wife works in a small food shop so she brings all the usuals home, we are not panic buying.

What precautions have you started to take? All the advisories that the experts are giving, and just using a lot or common sense. 'up there for thinking down there for dancing'

Do you know anyone who has the virus? No not yet, but my wife is the weak link in our anti Corona disease strategy, as you can imagine, she has to deal with a lot of people on a daily basis, the CO-OP are providing copious amounts of 'Hand Sanitiser' and she uses copious amounts, the only bad habit she has/had was/is when trying to open the small bags she licks her fingers so that the bag opens easier.

Personally, I think (like many folk) all the ramifications of this disease will rumble on for many years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Working in a small community Bank means we'll stay open until the governments force us to have to shut. People need to have access to money and thus banks need to remain open. On the flip side, my other half will begin working from home shortly. Other than that, the roads of quieter, but the stores and people are panicking.

- Biggest mental change was seeing my investments in the market drop about 40% from there peek, and if I had to guess, the market is far from over. I'm young so I don't less this bother me too much and will plow whatever cash I have back into it, but I know this must be hard for some of the older folks.

- Shake hands a lot less with people but even if I do, just be cautious about it. I was a relatively clean person before this so habits have not changed.

I'm in the US, and I know this is just the start, especially with the poor health sector this country has. At least in most of Europe and UK, people can willing walk into a hospital. People over here get to the point of dying before they walk into the hospital trying there best to limit there financial costs.

My best advice for everyone would be to try there best to maintain/strengthen there immune system. A lot of people will be off work, not moving around much and probably eating bad. Make sure to eat well, and exercise. A lot of people are trying to prevent the spread when they could be improving there bodies to potentially fight the virus better. Stay safe everyone.

Well my wife is pregnant with my second son so she's working from home as to be expected. My eldest son James was sent home from school by nurse yesterday with high temperature and cough. He's obviously isolating at his mother's for next 2/3 weeks. He seems fine in himself and I speak to him 3 or 4 times daily. He's not been confirmed but has all the symptoms. He's fit and young and strong as an ox so I'm confident he'll shake it off. Harriett my little girl we've pulled out of nursery and I'm simply staying put at home. It's going to hurt cashflow but that's really not important in the grand scheme of things. All this on top of having to put my wonderful old Labrador Zen to sleep Friday night. 16 yrs old and the most faithful old friend a man could have and one of the best gundogs I've ever seen. So not the best of weeks but I'm sure things will improve. People need to pull together through this not bicker and argue.

I either work at home or on customer sites. No customers want site visits right now. Should have been in Cape Town this week but SA have shut their borders. Still trying to get a refund out of Virgin. But if all feels normal. Sometimes I'm at home for a couple of weeks continuously anyway. Plenty of food in the local shops. The only shortages I've noticed are hand sanitizer, anti bacterial soap (for people who don't understand the different between viruses and bacteria), and paracetamol (although not the expensive stuff that calls itself a flu remedy). Kids are at home the whole time now but they're pretty good at practicing self isolation.

No hand shakes. Was at a conference last week and everyone was abiding by this. Wash my hands regularly at home - you never know who else in the family has it. Hand sanitiser in the car to clean hands after any interactions, eg handling money, being in a shop. Had to tell my mother I'd buy the jumper she was going to return to M&S yesterday, to stop her going.

Do you know anyone who has the virus?
Son had fever on Sunday / Monday but now is all good bar a sore throat. So we are practising a 14 day lock down as far as possible. In the UK I imagine you only know for sure someone has it if they are seriously ill and warrant a test.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to hear about your Dog Gav... There's nothing worse:icon-cry:....As far as the Corona Virus, I try to carry on as normal..... Clare is a Teacher, So she's been panicking but i think she's more worried about the Kids, She's glad the Government has decided to shut the schools.....The school kids cant understand why they are constantly being monitored regarding the Virus, Then one kid says to Clare... " Thats fine Miss, but 500 of us have just been crammed Together in the Lecture Hall for assembly". Now you want us Two metres apart"...:wtf:..Makes you Think..Washing my hands constantly and avoiding People.. I hope everyone on here is ok

Last edited:
Stuck in Morocco, Evac flights full, unable to book and priority is given to people who flew out. All flights stop today.

No ferries back to Spain for the foreseeable future, ferries from Ceuta running but its unclear if you can then drive through Spain to get home. Some people have managed it others stopped by the police and told they can't.

Uk government support so far is only helping package holiday makers with limited info for the campervan, Overland brigade.

Been minimising risk by staying camping out in the desert and generally away from towns and lots of people. So far only 50 cases here a some are tourists and Moroccans who had been to Italy.

Its scary how its developing and have all options to get home eliminated for at least the next 14 days but there's a lot of us here in the same situation, making the best of it and enjoying the good weather

Well my wife is pregnant with my second son so she's working from home as to be expected. My eldest son James was sent home from school by nurse yesterday with high temperature and cough. He's obviously isolating at his mother's for next 2/3 weeks. He seems fine in himself and I speak to him 3 or 4 times daily. He's not been confirmed but has all the symptoms. He's fit and young and strong as an ox so I'm confident he'll shake it off. Harriett my little girl we've pulled out of nursery and I'm simply staying put at home. It's going to hurt cashflow but that's really not important in the grand scheme of things. All this on top of having to put my wonderful old Labrador Zen to sleep Friday night. 16 yrs old and the most faithful old friend a man could have and one of the best gundogs I've ever seen. So not the best of weeks but I'm sure things will improve. People need to pull together through this not bicker and argue.
I am so sorry about you Lab Zen, I've been through it so I can empathise, her ashes are on my bedside table and will be buried with me, gone but not forgotten, and faithful to the end.

Holy moly Mark... No kind of fun there

I teach in a secondary school, we were shut down this day last week. We're working on getting stuff done with students from home, but it's a real faff to be honest. We're home until at least mid April, and final year students are getting antsy.

Thankfully I don't know anybody who has it yet, but both our parents would be in 'at risk' categories. No visits at all, which is hard on them when we've a 7 week old son. It's all a bit ominous still, and I'm not sure if all today's good news out of China can be fully believed.

Stay safe cruiserheads

I am so sorry about you Lab Zen, I've been through it so I can empathise, her ashes are on my bedside table and will be buried with me, gone but not forgotten, and faithful to the end.
He's been through so much with me. I've also chosen to have him cremated and his ashes returned. If humans could have half the loyalty empathy and forgiveness dogs possess I think the world would be all the better for it. I have his son Ozzie still and a 6 month old pup Bruno. Both black labs. Got to focus on training Bruno now. Ill Never be without a Labrador.

So sad about Zen, Gav. Been there few times over the years, typing this makes me watery eyed. Last border collie Meg, was my 'demo dog' at training school, and went everywhere with me.
Like jibberjabber, I have ashes of her that will go to final destination with me.
Keep smiling mate, you have a load to contend with lately and best wishes to your Mrs with the new bundle of joy on its way !

He's been through so much with me. I've also chosen to have him cremated and his ashes returned. If humans could have half the loyalty empathy and forgiveness dogs possess I think the world would be all the better for it. I have his son Ozzie still and a 6 month old pup Bruno. Both black labs. Got to focus on training Bruno now. Ill Never be without a Labrador.
Keep yer chin up, all of them. An oldie but a goodie.

I, like many, would go through fire and brimstone for my dogs, but not for a lot of humans I know.

How old is Ozzie?

Stuck in Morocco, Evac flights full, unable to book and priority is given to people who flew out. All flights stop today.

No ferries back to Spain for the foreseeable future, ferries from Ceuta running but its unclear if you can then drive through Spain to get home. Some people have managed it others stopped by the police and told they can't.

Uk government support so far is only helping package holiday makers with limited info for the campervan, Overland brigade.

Been minimising risk by staying camping out in the desert and generally away from towns and lots of people. So far only 50 cases here a some are tourists and Moroccans who had been to Italy.

Its scary how its developing and have all options to get home eliminated for at least the next 14 days but there's a lot of us here in the same situation, making the best of it and enjoying the good weather

I think people are finally starting to take it seriously in most of the UK, but not so much in London acording to the news, pubs a restaurants still full.

Good Luck

Holy moly Mark... No kind of fun there
Stay safe cruiserheads

We have had a lot fun to be honest, the bigger problems is when we get an Internet connection and see the news.

We traced the med coast to Algeria then turned south exploring some new routes visiting prehistoric Rock carvings and old foreign Legion forts along the way. Saw some very rare gazelles out there as well.

Couple of days ago Morocco closed all Cafes and restaurants which means missing coffee stops and I have to eat my very poor cooking. Campsite I'm in now is full of surfers bedding in for the duration, strict no contact policy has been established by the community proactively so we will see how things develop. I'm due to stay until May and Ramadan starts in a few weeks which will help minimise the spread.

Keep all yer chin up, all of them. An oldie but a goodie.

I, like many, would go through fire and brimstone for my dogs, but not for a lot of humans I know.

How old is Ozzie?
Ozzie is now 12 but still fit as was Zen at that age. I used him this last season picking up and have every confidence he'll be there this coming year. They are big heavy boned old fashioned labs. Strong as an ox but soft as cart grease.

Ozzie is now 12 but still fit as was Zen at that age. I used him this last season picking up and have every confidence he'll be there this coming year. They are big heavy boned old fashioned labs. Strong as an ox but soft as cart grease.
Any pictures of Ozzie & pup?

I've also chosen to have him cremated and his ashes returned. If humans could have half the loyalty empathy and forgiveness dogs possess I think the world would be all the better for it.

+1. I had my Collie cremated and her ashes sit in a nice little earn in the lounge along with several framed photos. The memories. They’re not called man’s best friend for nothing.

As far as the virus thing goes I’m on the verge of retiring at the end of the month so work disruption won’t be a problem. We’ve made the ‘mistake’ of trying to shop normally so we’ve fell foul of the panic buyers and are having to go round 3-4 different stores to try and get what we can of our usual buys. I’m also one of the carers for my Mum who’s 86 and while not actually suffering from any underlying health conditions she’s quite frail so that’s our major concern.

Any pictures of Ozzie & pup?
Ozzie is on the left of the picture and Zen on the right. This was taken at the beginning of last season so late October November time. Still really fit and working at 14 +.
20181219_150323.jpg
20200319_191716.jpg

Back