Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

we are all going in tomorrow. we see paying the bills and putting food on the table as "essential work".

ill report back if we have any problems.
Just stick to the rules and you'll be fine. remember your life is more 'essential' we don't want you to be the first member that is lost. That would be a dubious honour indeed. then you'd have to have a forum named after you. :)

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have seen alternative research summarised. I'd be interested if you have

I can't Rob because i don't have a search pattern that i can reproduce , when i become immersed in a subject an it might be a single word from one text that prompts the next search . I readily admit i don't have the education to fully comprehend scientific study papers so being aware of it i might google just for example say "genome" just to be sure i'm reading things in context albeit with a layman's mind . I trust no one source in any given subject so i tend to overload on info then let my subconscious work it out aided and abetted by my deep distrust of establishment and my absolute trust in their ulterior motives .

This here kind of alludes to my own unqualified findings if written in denial https://www.newscientist.com/articl...are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/
It's quick find of spending another sleepless night playing johnboy walton with a dictionary .

i do feel sorry for those in the city who have to stay indoors. i would be climbing the walls if i was stuck in a apartment etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i do feel sorry for those in the city who have to stay indoors. i would be climbing the walls if i was stuck in a apartment etc.

+1 on that! We’re lucky even though we live in a “built up” urban area in that we have a decent garden which backs on to open playing fields left from the old school, now long gone, plus a large expanse of woodland literally at the top of the road and all within walking distance of food shops. Apparently Sheffield has more trees per head of population than any other city in Europe and is the greenest city in England with 61% of the city being green space. We also live in a cul-de-sac so no through traffic.

We live in a 'built up' urban area in but we have a nice garden which now that the weather is getting warmer will be used more. At the front we have a block paved driveway onto a residential road but that is a rat run so quite a bit of traffic, but we don't go there. Shops not too far away not much in them at the moment though.

Put me down for ten, not inc postage. :):)
Or we could use the skittles to throw at the Zombie version of Covid-19, thats the next thing the scaremongering newspapers will conjure up.
Have put 10 aside for you, I'll keep 10 then the rest we can use as ammo - we got for a sweet machine my son bought and cleaned up but like any other 7 year old forgot about it and then it's never been seen since under the pile of lego/toys/kid stuff under his bed!

I was just wondering what folks are doing to help out neighbours & the wider community? A lot of initiatives have appeared in my local area , a launderette is offering free collection & delivery for those that need it as well as bringing shopping.Isnt there a network of 4x4 owners in the UK?
I've been asking the neighbours I have seen if they are OK for supplies etc. Also helped out an older couple the other day with starting their car, but not due to coronavirus! We are good mates with the neighbours next door and they have 2 kids (6 and 2) who play with my son (7) a lot at weekends. My neighbours on the other side are not in a great position, she lost her job this week and her husband depends on the schools staying open to have his job. I'd like to help them especially if things get dire for them, but would be odd just offering them money.

Last edited:
We had our very own smash and grab last night in the Town... They used a 360 to get into Tesco. Left all the Bog roll and Pasta... Just made off withe the cash Machines.. 3 of em, 'Weird'... Only in Dover.... Made off in two Mitsubishi Shoguns...... Class!
Pajero seems a more appropriate name here!

I've been asking the neighbours I have seen if they are OK for supplies etc. Also helped out an older couple the other day with starting their car, but not due to coronavirus! We are good mates with the neighbours next door and they have 2 kids (6 and 2) who play with my son (7) a lot at weekends. My neighbours on the other side are not in a great position, she lost her job this week and her husband depends on the schools staying open to have his job. I'd like to help them especially if things get dire for them, but would be odd just offering them money.
just being in touch would probably be good & saying you are willing to lend a hand .Obviously you can't support them financially but maybe a few quid lent might be good , dunno? on a wider level some folks i know have started a whatsapp group in their street .Later maybe helping people to do some basic veg gardening? any collaboration even on a simple level can help stop isolation & give folks a sense of purpose & hope.

+1 on that! We’re lucky even though we live in a “built up” urban area in that we have a decent garden which backs on to open playing fields left from the old school, now long gone, plus a large expanse of woodland literally at the top of the road and all within walking distance of food shops. Apparently Sheffield has more trees per head of population than any other city in Europe and is the greenest city in England with 61% of the city being green space. We also live in a cul-de-sac so no through traffic.
Have you lived in Sheffiled long @Towpack ?

I remember when you'd see "Made in England "Sheffield Steel" stamped on Knives and Forks.

I did a job about 30 years ago, in I think it was Bridge Street, installing some Air-Conditioning in, I think, what is now the building that Howells Solicitors occupy, I remember there being a Brewery on the opposite side of the road. I also remember when I was on the roof I could see the Paddy wagons arriving at the back of a police station, it's coming back now, I remember walking around to the front of the police station, in the foyer there was a display of some artefacts from Donald Neilson or Peter Sutcliffe, I think, I can't remember which one.

It was a while ago, so the memories are fading and merging together, as I have worked in so many places and buildings all over the country, some were famous and some were infamous.

That'd be Whitbread's Exchange Brewery, now residential flats I believe. I can still recall the pungent smell of the hops when they started a fresh brew that used to fill the air in the town centre back in the 60's/70's. Back in the day Sheffield was one of the dirtiest cities in the country, probably due to the extensive steel industry adding to the pollution from the 1000's of coal fired back to back houses. The rivers and canals suffered very badly being virtually devoid of life in stark contrast to how they are now!

That'd be Whitbread's Exchange Brewery, now residential flats I believe. I can still recall the pungent smell of the hops when they started a fresh brew that used to fill the air in the town centre back in the 60's/70's. Back in the day Sheffield was one of the dirtiest cities in the country, probably due to the extensive steel industry adding to the pollution from the 1000's of coal fired back to back houses. The rivers and canals suffered very badly being virtually devoid of life in stark contrast to how they are now!
I think the building I worked in had just been bought by Whitbread's at the time, they were having a new computer room built.

And just goes to show how things can recover if left to their own devices, when mankind is taken out of the equation.:)

The only down side is that theres almost no British industry left, well at least almost no heavy industry left.

We locked down my work today, every one got contacted Monday night saying don't go to work.
Couple of us got a few cars finished off and returned to customers. Moved all the stock cars closer to the buildings and used trade ins to block barriered entrances. All electrical items turned off etc etc. High value vehicles moved inside.

Myself and 2 others are now on call for emergency service vehicles and any key workers vehicles that require urgent attention. Phones diverted to managers phones and our laptops are set to remotely access the required systems from home.

Most customers were ok with cancellation, some need to give their head a shake!!

just being in touch would probably be good & saying you are willing to lend a hand .Obviously you can't support them financially but maybe a few quid lent might be good , dunno? on a wider level some folks i know have started a whatsapp group in their street .Later maybe helping people to do some basic veg gardening? any collaboration even on a simple level can help stop isolation & give folks a sense of purpose & hope.
Some great ideas - thank you - actually my neighbour started a whatsapp group for our street yesterday, she was going to have a get-together as there are a few newbies plus there's been a few crime issues like bike theft, attempted break-in, etc. The gardening idea is a good one - our garden is kind of abandoned except for the occasional reluctant mowing so the isolation will give us an opportunity to get that in order.

I like this,

By Frank Sonnenberg

A Tragedy Brings Out the Best, and the Worst, in People

Some tragedies, such as natural disasters, terror attacks, or even financial crises, are beyond our control. But we do have control over how we respond to them. Some people rise to the occasion and show what they’re made of, while others… We learn what they’re made of too. The truth is, tragedy brings out the best and the worst in people.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people capitalize on other people’s misfortune. For example, some folks exploit tragedy to attract personal attention or to demonize their enemies before the facts are even known. Other people use tragedy to make money or to pit one group against another to further their personal or political agenda. And if that’s not bad enough, some folks create scams to rob people before they’ve regained their footing. If you believe in karma, as I do, these folks are in deep trouble.

BUT, although there are devious, insensitive, and hateful people among us, there are also many unsung heroes who give of themselves in unimaginable ways. We should learn from them and emulate their behavior.

Back