Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

I also like this, shame some of us struggle to live by the these words, including me.

Max Ehrmann

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

And the teenagers here are still gathering in groups playing football up the park, if you try to explain why they should not you just get abuse in return, no Police of Army in sight yet.

We are finally seeing who the important people are, the ones who make a difference to our lives and are doing the crucial jobs we need.

Shop workers ✔️
Care workers ✔️
NHS staff ✔️
Emergency services ✔️
Farmers ✔️
Teachers ✔️
Bus & Lorry drivers/delivery people ✔️
Cleaners ✔️

These people are the ones who keep our country ticking over, the core of our daily lives, the people who regularly go unnoticed and are often frowned upon but keep working hard, generally on a low income.
People constantly look down on them and gloat that they earn more money than them.

But what worth does your money have now?
How secure is your job in the real world when we take a step back to reality?

I’m proud of all of these people, they don’t earn enough for what they do, and they’re never appreciated for what they contribute.

Be kind to them, thank them, go out your way to tell them what an amazing job they’re doing.

Could you imagine how shit this would be without them??

Be thankful, I’ll be happy to buy them all a drink if we come out the other side

The 'unsung many', is the phrase

My Wife's on the front line as a 'Key Worker' shes had not one word of thanks, even though she puts her life on the line (in this current crisis) minute by minute eight hours a day five days a week or more, as she has to 'take up the slack', and is in direct contact with the general public, not even a word of encouragement or prase from her employer.

In fact, she is at the top of your list, the NHS workers are doing a fantastic job, but at least they are working with known cases (in the most) of Covid-19 and in most cases are supplied with good quality PPE/HAZ-MAT.

We have had to provide our own gloves our own masks as the crap supplied by the her employer is crap, the only reasonably good stuff they have supplied is 'hand sanitizer' but not enough, they have also shortened the opening hours from 6 till 10 to 6 till 8. She has also been instructed to wash her uniform as soon as she gets home, well thats only common sense really.

BTW, this will be her fifth year without a pay rise. She's 57 and has worked for this company for 34 years. She's not asking for a 'pat on the back' she's not asking for any praise and she's never come home and 'moaned'.

She doesn't know I'm posting this, so please don't tell her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a Q

Would u call a company that repairs and respray vehicle a essential business because i say NO it is not

But the owner is try to stay open no matter what

what do you thing

I have a Q

Would u call a company that repairs and respray vehicle a essential business because i say NO it is not

what do you thing
Repair yes because people need their cars for essential tasks and essential workers need their cars.

At the end of the day the longer the lockdown the more and more businesses become essential.

Last edited:

If you can do something useful without risk of spreading infection then why wouldn't you ?

Talking to a guy that sells fishing creels this week who has his entire team living at work as a family so they can continue operations thus protecting their business and their jobs while lessening the financial burden on gov which after all only has taxpayers money , and ultimately providing security for their real families at home .

Somebody has to shop for food for all of them but otherwise risk is minimal and same risk applies at home .

We are finally seeing who the important people are, the ones who make a difference to our lives and are doing the crucial jobs we need.

Shop workers ✔️
Care workers ✔️
NHS staff ✔️
Emergency services ✔️
Farmers ✔️
Teachers ✔️
Cleaners ✔️

These people are the ones who keep our country ticking over, the core of our daily lives, the people who regularly go unnoticed and are often frowned upon but keep working hard, generally on a low income.
People constantly look down on them and gloat that they earn more money than them.

I’m proud of all of these people, they don’t earn enough for what they do, and they’re never appreciated for what they contribute.

Be kind to them, thank them, go out your way to tell them what an amazing job they’re doing.

Be thankful, I’ll be happy to buy them all a drink if we come out the other side
great post Chas something that needed to be said.This crisis has shone a light on what is really important in life & as it continues shows some of the massive contradictions in our society.we are told we need to keep something in reserve in case of crisis but big corporations are going cap in hand to the taxpayer (us)after a week without turnover.Self employed might get something in June..... some of the stories causing outrage now have been par for the course for a good percentage of the population for decades.

Shop workers ✔️
Care workers ✔️
NHS staff ✔️
Emergency services ✔️
Farmers ✔️
Teachers ✔️
Cleaners ✔️

great post Chas something that needed to be said.This crisis has shone a light on what is really important in life & as it continues shows some of the massive contradictions in our society.we are told we need to keep something in reserve in case of crisis but big corporations are going cap in hand to the taxpayer (us)after a week without turnover.Self employed might get something in June..... some of the stories causing outrage now have been par for the course for a good percentage of the population for decades.

5F9F3CD3-8492-42C8-89DD-92E32A04E6B4.jpeg

Daughter found a novel way to keep the kids occupied today and it beats buying curtains for a 6x4ft living room window :lol:

Yesterday people in space suits carted her neighbour from two doors down away in an ambulance :|

Last edited:
Nice post Chas... I mentioned at home that suddenly the fella on the forklift in the distribution centre is considered hugely important... Well he always is.. but this has brought new perspective.

I'm a teacher, and I'm not looking for any praise... We're just doing what we can, I don't like it... Much rather be in front of a class.. but I have seen a number of people start to realise that we are more than a babysitting service.. that their teenagers aren't always co-operative, and that handling 2-3 at home is a challenge to get work done, let alone 20-30..

Having said that... The Frontline health workers and the supply chain workers are doing a bang-up job at keeping things rolling.

One quirk I notice about the public information in the UK is 'protect the NHS'. Now maybe I misunderstand, I know the Brits love that institution above all else, but would protect our doctors and nurses or protect each other not be a more pertinent message?

Not that it's really much of a difference

All through the Brexit debate i repeated time and again in various guises that the foundations on which ivory towers are built are neglected and crumbling , this revelation at the top of the tower was coming sooner or later virus or no virus .

I have a Q

what do you thing

Absolutely not.

If you can do something useful without risk of spreading infection then why wouldn't you ?

Talking to a guy that sells fishing creels this week who has his entire team living at work as a family so they can continue operations thus protecting their business and their jobs while lessening the financial burden on gov which after all only has taxpayers money , and ultimately providing security for their real families at home .

Somebody has to shop for food for all of them but otherwise risk is minimal and same risk applies at home .

Thats all very well on the face of it but the line has to be drawn somewhere. The list of 'essential' services has been made. The problem is that if others see it being 'allowed' for one, the idea gets abused which defeats the point of a lockdown.

Our local Police have started pulling drivers over and handing out tickets for 'non essential' travel.

Did anyone else just watch the film on TV called 'Contagion' made in 2011? Spooky, could have been written about the coronavirus! :mask::openmouth:

When ever i go out or visit the Butchers etc etc im the only one wearing a face mask.. It just baffles me that more people are not... Weather there is a debate regarding their effect, I dont know, but just out of respect to others i wear one...Round our way there are a lot of people who still do not think this is real... I notice the Media are using the word Tsunami to describe the virus in London ....

What a fantastic sight the 'clapping' :clap: was last night.

It frightened the dogs to death what with the fireworks as well.

Hats off to all the 'Frontline Key Workers" Keep up the Good Work keeping us 'At Risk' as safe as possible. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Back