The Cruiser won't start "CLICK"

goatwranglerclinton Aug 5, 2013

1. mussy

mussy Well-Known Member

Map
    Same here, car sat for a week and now all I get is a click. Charged both batteries overnight and still nothing.

No clue what to do next...help!

2. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    If it's an auto, is it in N or P?

I know it's a daft one but I've missed it before.

3. Arno

Arno New Member

Have been chasing random occasional "Click" in my Land Cruiser LJ70 for more than a month, left stranded suddenly in awkward places.

My LJ70 has a new starter motor, new battery and checked all wiring over and over.

Yesterday I had the "Click" at home - great occasion to get it diagnosed properly.

Bottom line: A Starter Relay with a bit worn / oxidized contacts.

Got to chance to shoot a video and put it on youtube as a testimony;

https://youtu.be/NT6EQY_8iss

Original Toyota / Denso replacement relays (28300-17030) are Expen$ive;

Greece: € 155 EURO - Delivery in 2 months
    Netherlands : € 204 EURO - Delivery next day
    Germany : € 136 EURO - Delivery within few working days

I'll be looking for a 12 V relay elsewhere.

Cheers

Arno

Cardo likes this.
  4. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    Just clean the contacts with fine emery Arno and bend the contacts gently so they meet properly and have a little more pressure on them. That should be ok for the next 100,000 km.

Best
    Rich

5. Arno

Arno New Member

Thanks Rich, that worked for now.

At least I know the problem now :violin:

No starts like this in remote places or middle of the night....great fun :shock:

6. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    It should be a good fix Arno, if there isn't any real damage like the contacts completely burned through or softened through heating.

This is something that is pretty common and post office relays used to be set up in this way a long time ago.

7. Ken Winstanley

Ken Winstanley New Member I am in australia

Map
    I have the starting problem and have been to the auto elec twice, will get a new starter relay, and is the 15 gauge wire from the battery to the relay?

8. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    You need to prove which part it is first Ken.
    There are several possibles. If the starter solenoid clicks in and you can listen for this under the car, then it may be the series/parallel relay on the heavy battery cables or the solenoid contacts themselves which do burn out. The contacts are available cheaply on their own as a kit with the plunger if it pulls in, your solenoid coil is ok and in any case the solenoid cannot be replaced as a unit as it is parts fitted into a casing (80 series). You can test with a meter set to DC volts across the solenoid heavy contacts as the bolts emerge each side. If you get 12v at rest then 24v during a start attempt across them, the series parallel relay is ok and the starter solenoid contacts could be burned away. If 12v then nothing it could indicate the series parallel relay is faulty and the starter contacts are good. Starter contacts generally burn away long before the series/parallel relay shows any sign of problems.

Oh, and when you put the cover back on the rear of the starter solenoid, pop some low strength studlock on the screws won't you. :)

9. Gary Stockton

Gary Stockton Super Moderator Supporter I am in zimbabwe

Garage:
    Map
    sounds like a bad case of parasitic draw going on

Check this out to help trace and resolve:

10. benny boi

benny boi New Member I am in australia

Map
    can some1 help me plz i hav a 1995 80 series petrol. i hav power to the starter motor but not to the starter moduil on the starter. wen turning the key all lights on the dash work but nothing else. no click checked all fuses but cant find the main 100amp fuse. can some1 point me in the rite direction plz

11. Moh

Moh New Member

Map
    Hi, Do you have the part number for the 12/24V solenoid please? Thanks. It is a HZJ81 Diesel.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter