Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Cruiser won't start "CLICK"

goatwranglerclinton

I came across a lot of people on forums all over the Internet with this problem (turn the key car won't start all you hear is a CLICK from the starter motor)... I myself started having this problem after a few months with out starting my landcruiser. I started it first time no problem however went out the next day and all I got was that CLICK. Tried and tried but still just a click then the following day I just got a CLICK had power to everything had just charged the battery but nothing tried and tried walked away came back and it decided to start... I had already replaced my starter motor a few months prior to the problem, however all I could find on this problem was People saying its the starter motor/ solenoid and that they replaced them multiple time and still the problem remained. Now for starters I found them to be pretty stupid when you only need to really replace a part once to rule it out as the cause they must have deep pockets. SO I decided to have a crack at solving it. 5 minutes later after flicking through the landcruisers wiring diagram It came down to the "STARTER RELAY" now if you now how a relay works you should know what I'm on about. A relay can still work and yet also be faulty. I tested my relay the next day.. Seemed to be working (I put my finger on it and could feel it Click when turning the key) anyway I new it had to be the problem as its the only thing in the starting circuit that would cause the problem. So I replaced the relay with a real cheap nasty one.. And it started first go... For a whole week it started first go. So just to be sure I wouldn't get the problem again I replaced the new cheap relay (30amp standard) with a better Delco (40amp) fused relay then replaced the 10 gauge wiring with 15 to get better current flow and its started first time every time since.

If anyone else has had this problem please let me know what you did to fix it... After hearing that so many people can't fix it I'm curious as to what people have done to fix it

Thanks for that tip.

I had the dreaded "click" a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the starter motor contacts. Had them replaced and it has been good as gold ever since.

Good to know about the relay though, if that starts playing up in the future.

Yeah so many people thought it was the contacts and if you have never replaces the starter motor or solenoid before that would probably be the cause however after hearing of so many people replacing the starter motor over and over I knew there had to be something else that caused that same click. The only other connections there are in the starting circuit in the 70 series anyway it the ignition switch, glow plug timer rely (which also operates the glow plug light on the dash and if its faulty you would have problems with the light as well), then you got the starter relay, solenoid starter motor and the battery... Really there isn't much more to it

Just joined.

If others read this and have this problem with their cruisers not starting having checked everything else out as OK then spray some WD40 into the ignition start lock barrel.

Had the problem and was tearing my hair out, nearly bought a new starter motor but decided in desperation to lubricate the ignition lock, started first go. However if you have the same result I suggest changing the start barrel and matching door barrels to eliminate the problem Hope this helps.

Cheers

I also have been getting the dreaded 'click' :icon-cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I occasionly get the 'click' where exactly does the WD40 need to be sprayed? in the keyhole? :confusion-confused:

Okay, so I had this the other day.
Had been using the car all week, started on the button every time. Went away for a week. On my return started first time as usual, stopped for Fuel 5 minutes later and nothing!
Tried rocking it, tried hitting the starter nothing. Had to get the AA down. He whacked the starter a few times and bingo started again.
Took it down to my local garage and they replaced the starter for a shiny new one (will get some pics and details of it later).
So yesterday used it, all working on off on off.... all good.
This morning Started her up, no problems. Drove down to Sussex about 1.5 hrs, all good. Turned her off for about 2 hours. Started again fine. Just coming into town stop at the market do shopping for 1/2 hour then...... click....... nothing!

Tried Rocking her to make sure it was not the shaft stuck on the flywheel, checked all wiring, gave the NEW starter a tap, nothing. Was about to give up at least an hour and a half later and then, boom started right up!

SO I have a new starter, was going to do it eventually anyway. Now I need to check all the wiring and the starter relay and probably upgrade as GW Clinton said on the first post.

The only other thing I did was to undo the black plastic wheel bits on the battery terminals and then do them back up to make sure they were on properly. Batteries are new Varta units an have full power.

I know its one of those things but getting annoying as I wanted a Land Cruiser for its reliability.
Will keep trying to diagnose the problem and let you know how I get on.

One last thought, what happens when the transponder in the key stops working? Is there any chance this could be an immobiliser issue?

Do you have an 80? I had a starting problem at Lincomb last, when we had everyone gathered round scratching heads and the other end of the anatomy it was discovered to be the 12/24 change over relay, try tapping that next time you try starting, it worked for me. Luckily Jon W had a new spare I bought no troubles since.

Yea its an 80, 4.2HDT 24V
Just had a look all around to see if there is anything obvious that I missed but all looks to be fine.
Get two clicks when the ignition is turned on then just fires up.
When it does not fire up there is a buzz when you turn the key to start.
New Starter below:
IMG_4074.jpgIMG_4071.jpg

Always go for Battery tests first. 12/24v starter relay as chas got. I have second hand if needed. Also the is a starter relay in the NS inner wing. Starter motor last port of call.

Batteries are fine. Have a feeling the starter was good also and is probably the Relay(s).
I am going to check the values on the 12/24V tomorrow. What does the other relay look like? Is it from the Key barrel before the battery?

The relay what has probably gone sits behind the NS battery near the fuel filter. Has a posy screw holding a black protective cover on it. Under that is the relay. It has two 12mm nuts holding starter wires and two 10mm nuts.

Thanks Karl, I will test it tomorrow to see what its reading. Where is it possible to get these from?

Yep, I support what Karl says. Connections on the CO relay can come loose, carbonise etc. 24v start only getting 12v will just chatter. Also check the CO relay earth that goes to the engine near the oil level float. If that's rusty you will get a bad contact. It is a complex system and having converted mine to 12v start you have to ask if 24v is more hassle than it's worth.

So, the following are,

12/24V Solenoid?:
IMG_4080.jpg

Battery + B (Not sure what this is):
IMG_4083.jpg

Starter Relay?:
IMG_4081.jpg

So I will check and clean up all these contacts and try to get their readings.
Which parts of the battery should I disconnect before working on the electrical system? Normally I would just disconnect all the cables.

Thanks

The 'Battery + B" terminal connects the starter to the battery(s). There will be +12v present at this terminal except during cranking when it's 24v. To work on the electrics I just disconnect the earth terminal of both batts.

click no start!

Damn if it hasn't just happened with my 80. Car stood for a week, now won't start, just the "click". There is voltage at the 12/24 relay but only 8.6v. batteries ate at about 11.4 . I know this is not optimum, but feel it should be enough battery voltage to get things moving. not so sure about relay voltage.
can someone describe the testing procedure for the relay so I can eliminate it as cause?
I'll also get the batteries charged. Car is auto so no way of rocking it to loosen starter, or is there?

Back