Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The dreaded ticking noise.

I am doing some PM on mine at the moment, and this includes a new timing belt, it occurred to me that I have often heard slack timing belts make a noise as they flick against the plastic dust cover, noise changes with revolutions and temperature ........only a thought.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Could it be related tot he fuel pump? It sounds like the correct location.

The fuel pump making a noise is a possibility. I think I can sometimes hear it on mine but it's difficult to focus on exactly where it's coming from.

Stick 5o0ml of 2 stroke (mineral low ash) oil into your fuel and see if that changes anything. If it does, it'll be fuel side of fuel pump.

If not, then it could be the "engine" side of the fuel pump. Do they run off a cam or a gear? If it's a cam then you may have wear beyond the tolerance which is causing a tick noise.

The IP is gear driven. The tick sounds more towards the RHS of the engine lower down but very difficult to pinpoint further even with one of those mechanic's stethoscopes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Woohoo!!:dance: Great news Lexie, you must be a very relieved happy bunny.

Woohoo!!:dance: Great news Lexie, you must be a very relieved happy bunny.
Words can not describe my joy. 5 days now since oil change and nothing so far so fingers crossed but it seem to have solved it.
I read on other forums that oil grade change worked for some so thought il try it before opening up the sump

Not saying i told you so, BUT

I told you so, LOL, i have posted several times that i got the tick with 15/40 but not with 10/40.
And your one reason i changed to 10/40 so thank you

What type of oil you guys recommend for the 1Hd engines?
I’ve been told low SAPS oils are the go. (Regarding the BEB issues) Is that correct?
I’ve been using shell Rimula R6 wich is a truck oil

Well ........I've used a high spec 15/40 tractor engine oil for years as it's free and if it's good enough for a 600hp Ag engine working very hard for 20 hrs a day then it's probably good enough for my 1HD Ft .

I do get the ticking noise when driving along beside a wall with drivers window open .....BEBs replaced at 140K and were as good as new as were injectors and Turbo so following this thread I'm going to bung some 10/40 in and see what happens .....I don't for one minute expect it will stop the "Tick" as once up to temp both should behave as SAE 40 oil .

As old as the design of these engines are, 5/30, 10/40 was being recommended back then.

I use Repsol 10/40, only time I hit the ticking noise was when the ACSD was on the way out, took it off and threw it in the scrap, tick gone!

The 24 valve engine I gather did not seem to get the beb problem, all cases I have seen have been on 12 valve versions.

Regards

Dave

Well after reading all this has Lexie heard the noise come back?

I've had this noise since I had my vehicle from new and has never changed, just done 90,000 miles and still there. I also have a light rattle between 1900rpm and 2400rpm but as smooth as below that and above 2400rpm which again has alway been there.
Had to rebuild my gearbox the other month due to a bearing braking down and removed the sump whilst i was underneath and pulled the big ends which were like new and not even a blemish, I change my oil and filter between 3000 and 4000 miles and get the oil and filter checked every now and then with nothing bad ever found.

I have heard on an Aussie forum that Toyota say it is crankshaft flex!!! what every that is!!

All crank shafts flex to some extent but they would never make a noise. They are nowhere near to hit anything. Any major flex and you'd have bearing problems.

Back