Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The infamous glow plug light

mike54

I've read the threads on this re recalls and potential fire risk etc. The light comes on on mine and before I take out the battery and tray can any electrical wizard suggest a replacement which is non-toyota (ie cheaper)? I read one thread where someone replaced it with a motorcycle starter relay but the ebay link he kindly put up is long expired. I'm far from being an electrics wiz so if anyone could make any suggestions it would be appreciated.

I understand that it's 12 volt and pulls 40 amps.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I figured any recommendations you or others can provide would be helpful to me and others in the future who are in the same situation. Were you able to find a less expensive substitute or did you stick with OEM? Any alternative part numbers you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Toyota had a recall on this. It might be worth going to your dealer and demand they change it. Worth a bluff.

Thanks Frank. I'm in Uganda so unfortunately I'm on my own. I was looking on the part number schematics and as best as I can tell, Toyota shows the part as unavailable. Has it been discontinued or replaced? The part number I show is: 28610-65100. Is that correct?

I changed mine for a motorcycle starter relay and also resited it from beneath the battery tray to the inner wing. It was £17 versus £180 + vat for an OEM item. There’s loads on Ebay.

12 volt but how many amps? Were you able to find one that fit within the OEM hole pattern? If you could provide a link with what you purchased or what you recommend purchasing it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your help!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would something like this work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13H5QHGBAEUYH

Having the exposed terminals makes me nervous but I'm having trouble finding something with similar mounting, terminal studs and a cover.

I would think so. Mine is just a generic bike relay suitable for 1000cc machines but not model specific. It also had exposed terminals so I made a cover even though I did move it from it’s original position.

Part no' 28610-65100 looks like a copy part. No' 28610-17080 is the toyo part that fits my uk 95 diesel 80. Any relay that Towpack recommends will do.

Hi Matt ,
If you plan on keeping the vehicle in Uganda then just take the battery box out , disconnect the relay and make sure the wires are all insulated , put the box back in and forget about fitting another relay .
My 24valve starts without any issues in minus 10 and just smokes a bit until warm , fitting the grid heater and keeping it energised after start was more about Toyota meeting European emissions than cold start .
Neither Cold starting or Emissions are likely to be much of a problem in Uganda ;-)

Grimbo has the answer and thats what ive done in uk. Just a shade under absolute zero and these engines still start.

Yeah just my house Rich. Sods law. Came out and the oil had passed through the solid steel sump. Semi conductor type of thing I think.

Just to follow-up for those searching this thread in the future, I installed the starter solenoid in the link I provided above and it worked for a few hours and the light ended up coming back on. I haven't disassembled but I'm assuming the relay wasn't large enough so I'm going to order a couple more starter solenoids to try (continuous duty 100 amp and 150 amp). I agree with those who posted above, the grid heater certainly isn't needed here in Uganda but having lights on in the dash bugs me. ;-) Will follow-up after I receive test the other relays to determine what works.

I don’t see how a dead heater relay will affect the dash warning light as it has nothing to do with it’s operation. It’s just a switch that turns power to the heating element on/off and has no control input. The warning light will work wether this relay is alive or dead. The heater circuit operates on a timer, linked to engine temperature which then activates the main heater relay. The only reason I discovered mine was dead was the fact that is was causing a battery drain fault when the vehicle was parked up, the warning light was operating normally. The heater circuit operates on all cold starts, even on warm Summer days so I wired in an overide switch to isolate the main relay and give manual control.

This was the state mine was in.......

5143FA8E-0D30-48AF-8F1D-723C144C74C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Agree with Towpack , my light on the dash behaves normally without the relay fitted and in fact rarely comes on seeing as i'm a southern softie .
Rather than risk a fire just leave it off .

Thanks for the input everyone. Maybe the relay is fine then. I'll have to pull the battery and have a look tomorrow.
Any idea what might trigger the light to go on then? I guess I'll have to start digging through the manual to troubleshoot the rest of the system. Thanks for the assistance.

I think the heater is more about emissions than starting the engine? The 80 is a direct injection engine so does not really need cold start assistance. If it was my car and you are not concerned about originality then disconnect it, or if concerned about cold start ability wire in a Cole Hershee relay (is that spelt right?), or the motorbike relay mentioned by @Towpack.

Regards

Dave

Back