Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The new Jimny is out

Jacob100

Supporter
The new Jimny has finally arrived in the UK so we went tyre-kicking at a deserted local Suzuki dealership today.

9ECB55E4-C91F-4862-B8A8-6D50BDB20AF5.jpeg

It’s an amazing little 4x4 and very impressive in many ways but just too small and cramped to be practical for us, even as a second car.

This demo unit was the more expensive of the two available specs and comes with £2,500 of pointless extras that go against the whole philosophy of the car: colour-coordinated door handles, a clunky touchscreen unit, ‘premium’ alloys, etc.

Apart from those fripperies the interior and cockpit are black and impressively utilitarian. The gearstick and hi/low lever are long and clad with very cool, thick plastic gaiters. The 12v socket has a marine-style seal. There’s a big grab handle in front of the passenger seat and the dash is full of allen key bolts. You could hose the whole thing down and it would dry in minutes.

A0C8FE9C-7E0B-4871-9A33-D6D621820E10.jpeg

Our pootle around the outskirts of Sheffield with the sales guy riding shotgun was fun and noisy and wonderfully unrefined for a new car but I think I’d rather spend my money on an old Land Cruiser.

I hope that's the only colour they do it in...:lol: How much is it Jacob?... Also available Orange!

I have to say they look like cracking little cars (though personally speaking, perhaps not in that particular colour). I think for drivers of great big capable trucks like us lot to even be remotely interested in such a car is testament to how well Suzuki know this market, and what a good job they’ve made of it’s looks and setup.

Reactions: Ben
I hope that's the only colour they do it in...:lol: How much is it Jacob?... Also available Orange!

The one above is 18k in 5-spd manual and 19k with an auto box. The base model in manual, which is the only one I'd consider, is 15.5k. Very few additional options available. There is a black one which looks very smart with the big arches. They only accept orders where an additional colour choice is included.

The salesman advised to get an order in 'before Christmas' for delivery in late May-early June ...

I have to say they look like cracking little cars (though personally speaking, perhaps not in that particular colour). I think for drivers of great big capable trucks like us lot to even be remotely interested in such a car is testament to how well Suzuki know this market, and what a good job they’ve made of it’s looks and setup.

That's it, Rich. For me to walk into a dealership during the Christmas break it's got to be something special. I totally get it. It's fabulous and competent but it's just so dinky. The salesman jokingly suggested towing it with the LC so I told him about you and the Cursed Smart Car!

Don't know why they don't just make a proper Beefed up off road version of the Vitara...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like a scaled down G Wagen. They've retained the ladder chassis and solid axles apparently which is good. I had one of the early SJ413's which was very capable with the right tyres and only sold it due to the lack of space inside. You either like these or you don't and, personally, I'd still prefer one of these instead of all the other pointless 'crossover' options on the market.

That's it, Rich. For me to walk into a dealership during the Christmas break it's got to be something special. I totally get it. It's fabulous and competent but it's just so dinky. The salesman jokingly suggested towing it with the LC so I told him about you and the Cursed Smart Car!
I had exactly that thought Jacob. Leave it a few years and get a good used one and use it as a decent Toad. As soon as I spotted it on YouTube I thought what a great looking fun car. The gunmetal grey that I’ve seen in the vids looks fantastic. I’ve read many references in the comments to the resemblance to a mini G wagon.

Would you not get more for your money.. if you just went for the Duster Thingy.. Would they both be on a level Par, when I comes to reliability...The Duster would probably be half the price...

Looks like a scaled down G Wagen. They've retained the ladder chassis and solid axles apparently which is good. I had one of the early SJ413's which was very capable with the right tyres and only sold it due to the lack of space inside. You either like these or you don't and, personally, I'd still prefer one of these instead of all the other pointless 'crossover' options on the market.

Exactly. As for those prolific crossovers ... Last week I drove a factory-new RAV4 2.5l Hybrid from Barnsley to Basildon. It was a delightful little Toyota - all sober and serious and you didn't feel like you were moonlighting for Uber - but at the end of the day it's an average-sized car and I couldn't get over how thirsty it was. The conditions were near-perfect: single occupant with no luggage; empty, clear, flat motorways and A-roads; double-digit temperatures; a steady 60-70mph, mostly on adaptive cruise; Eco-mode on, AC off and electrics at a minimum.

I arrived at the birthplace of Depeche Mode in all-electric, below-walking-speed EV mode with the trip computer showing a range of zero on petrol and an average consumption of 35mpg. The 240-mile trip cost me well over £40 in petrol.

Round here I still see old SJs & Vitaras , very capable off-roaders but yes too small.One of our local sheppards runs one , a later diesel , but 1 up & 4 collies isn't a problem.oh and a bota (wineskin) some fertilizer bags & baling string...

Very interesting car. I too went in and had a look, something small enough.

Shame about the crap engine they put in though. Entirely ruins the vehicle. They should have put in one of the newer turbo'd ones.

Would rather get the Skoda yeti, inspire of it being so much older looking.

Exactly. As for those prolific crossovers ... Last week I drove a factory-new RAV4 2.5l Hybrid from Barnsley to Basildon. It was a delightful little Toyota - all sober and serious and you didn't feel like you were moonlighting for Uber - but at the end of the day it's an average-sized car and I couldn't get over how thirsty it was. The conditions were near-perfect: single occupant with no luggage; empty, clear, flat motorways and A-roads; double-digit temperatures; a steady 60-70mph, mostly on adaptive cruise; Eco-mode on, AC off and electrics at a minimum.

I arrived at the birthplace of Depeche Mode in all-electric, below-walking-speed EV mode with the trip computer showing a range of zero on petrol and an average consumption of 35mpg. The 240-mile trip cost me well over £40 in petrol.
Christ.. I think if I were steady I could get the 120 to do that mileage for £40 quidish of Diesel... And G.O.K... Yes good call, Forgot about the yeti. I think it beats all the others hands down. (In the small 4x4 market) I know someone who has one and it is a genuine tough little motor..

Proper car on this forum at last :tonguewink:

The 5 month waiting list is a good deal shorter than it's being reported over on the Jimny forums. I know I have a ladies' Land Cruiser, but unless I'm towing I always take the Jimny. More fun on the road. Gets to to places my LC won't get off road. Lots of wet ground with me and the LC just sinks. If I do get stuck I can almost push the Jimny out. My old one isn't good at all on fuel either.

If you're comparing to the likes of Dusters and Yetis, and I did exactly that before I got mine, the Yeti is too low. The Dusters feel very cheap, although I'd still consider one because they are very cheap. But only about £2.5K cheaper for a new one because the really basic Dusters aren't 4x4. When I was buying there weren't many s/h 4x4 Dusters about. Neither have a transfer box for low ratio which I really wanted for descents and just being able to tickle through rocky sections, quite often between two dry stone walls where I live. And I also have at least one car with a solid front axle!

I've been looking out for these too - feels like a mix of the G Wagon, Defender and the original SJ410 to me. Not seen one in the metal yet though to be fair.

Ref Yetis and Dusters, etc - I think they're a slightly different market, more road biased really - not sure there is any direct competition for the Jimny (live axles, low range, etc)?

I would get 33 mpg in my 80 in those conditions. My daughter had an early single point fuel injected petrol Vitara. Used to drink petrol.

TP hits the description of crossovers as"pointless" on the head. I can stop looking for the descriptive word now.

Proper car on this forum at last :tonguewink:

The 5 month waiting list is a good deal shorter than it's being reported over on the Jimny forums. I know I have a ladies' Land Cruiser, but unless I'm towing I always take the Jimny. More fun on the road. Gets to to places my LC won't get off road. Lots of wet ground with me and the LC just sinks. If I do get stuck I can almost push the Jimny out. My old one isn't good at all on fuel either.

If you're comparing to the likes of Dusters and Yetis, and I did exactly that before I got mine, the Yeti is too low. The Dusters feel very cheap, although I'd still consider one because they are very cheap. But only about £2.5K cheaper for a new one because the really basic Dusters aren't 4x4. When I was buying there weren't many s/h 4x4 Dusters about. Neither have a transfer box for low ratio which I really wanted for descents and just being able to tickle through rocky sections, quite often between two dry stone walls where I live. And I also have at least one car with a solid front axle!

The Duster 4x4 is weak too, underneath I mean. If you rolled over a rock off-roading you’d bend everything, the radius arms and suspension tie bars are all pencil thin and ready to bend.

Not like the Suzi at all, with its solid front axle.

I would think the Duster is designed, like the Citroen 2cv, for rough French tracks.

Back