Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The new T-Max Adventurer air compressor........

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
.......Has anyone seen, handled or used one of these new T-Max Adventurer compressors as I'm right on the cusp of buying one but thought before I do I'd see if anyone else has had any experience with one :) I was going to purchase one of there twin pump ones some time back but just never got around to it & was about to go get me one when I found this new one that they are marketing :? :)

New Adventurer http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-MAX-LARGE-AIR-C ... 27b4fd2ba0

!B2),rQQ!mk~$(KGrHqYOKkQEyONWqOCoBMj0vcUoj!~~_35.JPG

SPECIFICATIONS

Maximum air flow 160 Liters per minute
Voltage DC 12 Volt
Motor output power 537 W (0.7 HP)
Maximum amperage draw 45 Amps
Maximum working pressure 150 PSI
Cylinder diameter 60mm
Maximum ambient temperature 60°C
Minimum ambient temperature -40°C
With amperage overload protector, Press to reset

FEATURES

• Pumps 70 Liters per minute at 30 PSI
Tested to inflate a 255/70R16 tyre from 0 PSI to 35 PSI in approximately 2 minutes 20 seconds.

• Powerful 537 Watt (0.7 HP) permanent magnetic motor.

• Pressure gauge has easy press air bleed-off button for easy tyre deflation.

• Cast alloy air pump casting with cooling fins for quick heat dissipation.

• Built-in air filter assures only clean air enters the unit for extended operation life.

• Anti-Vibration rubber feet and alloy base tray keeps the compressor stable and seperated from sand and dirt.

• Very heavy duty 1.9 metre power lead with quality insulated battery clamps and 45 Amp reset circuit breaker button for added safety.

• Coiled air hose and pressure gauge comes with solid brass, snap-on fitting to the compressor and screw-on fitting to tyre valve.

• Stainless steel pump valves and high performance PTFE piston ring.

• Highly efficient gearless, direct drive design assures quiet operation.

• Operating on/off switch.

• Easy to use snap-on air outlet.

• Three accessory nozzles included for pumping up inflatable air beds and sporting balls.

• Portable carry and storage bag.

Nope but I do have the lower-spec (older) T-Max model that Inside-out 4x4 also offer and it's great for my use. If this one is anything like it, then I would say go for it. :thumbup:
The one I have pumps up a 285 from 20 psi to 35 in about 1-1.5 mins (I've never precisely timed it but it's surprisingly quick!). I think a few other guys on the forum have the same one as me - maybe they can comment on their experience.

Depending on what your requirements of a compressor are, you might want to save yourself some £££ and buy the older, cheaper one ;) The Inside-out 4x4 one comes with a tyre repair kit with plugs/gaiters, patches etc too, so a nice little package.

For the money, I think the T-Max range are hard to beat. Viair and ARBs are a lot more expensive.

The only minor concern I have with my T-Max is it feels surprisingly hot after pumping up all 4 tyres - I wouldn't have thought it should get that hot after running for maybe 10 mins continuously with 6 or 7 mins under load. Not such a big deal in the "temperate" UK but at 50 deg in the desert pumping up 4 tyres might make the compressor a little toasty. :think:

Cheers,

The one thing that I can't see listed there is the duty cycle which I would see as being one of the most important bits of info. Pressure and flow are important but how long it will run for is vital. 45 amps is a pretty heavy draw. My old VIAIR was 38 amps and boy could you tell! 160 lpm is 5.6 cfm which is pretty high by any measure. But 70 is only 2.4. I would think that it will set off like a bat out of hell but once the load increases the rate will tumble. So a 255 at 35 in 2 min 20 and a 275 to 40psi in ??????? Didn't look at price. I think it looks OK but couldn't guarantee years of hard work like a VIAIR. Never heard of the make.

Chris

Chris said:
160 lpm is 5.6 cfm which is pretty high by any measure. But 70 is only 2.4. I would think that it will set off like a bat out of hell but once the load increases the rate will tumble. So a 255 at 35 in 2 min 20 and a 275 to 40psi in ????????
All that seems prety good to me :) Infact it would be a dream as what I currently use takes an astonishing :shock: 22min 15sec to fill a 31" tyre from 0 to 30psi & 9min 45sec from 18psi to 30psi :p So 2/3min would be a breath of fresh air :lol:

Look @ the size of the box this thing came in :shock: :shock: :lol: :p

PA040651.jpg

And here it is :drool:

PA040653.jpg

PA040655.jpg

It's big :o :think:

PA040659.jpg

More later :!: Must dash :p

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice. I just got a quote on an onboard setup. Think I'll stick with this idea ;)

Little bit more while the kids are eating their dinner :D

I let the front tyre down to 18psi :) A commonly used air down pressure & then blew it back up to 30psi :D

55 seconds :shock: I couldn't believe how quick it was so I did it again 52 seconds :shock: :shock: :dance: :dance: :D

PA040660.jpg

Oh & the tyre is a 265/75/16 :)

You should see how quickly it does it with a tank! Mine takes a flat tyre (flat as in valve completely removed) to 20psi in about 4 seconds. Enough to drive on.

Looks like a tidy piece of kit. Did we find out what the duty cycle was in the end?

Chris

Chris said:
Did we find out what the duty cycle was in the end?
No idea what the Duty cycle is but I played with it for @ least 10/12 minutes with it running & probally 8 of those pumping & the only part that was hot to the touch was the pressure relief valve & the pipe that its attached to :D It will easily blow up four tyres from 12 to 30+ psi one after the other :) What more would a muddy boy want :?: And for me it's like a breath of fresh air ;) As I'm used to it taking my existing compressor 9 minutes 45 seconds to pump my old 31x10.5x15 tyres (practically the same size as a 265/75/16 tyre) from 18 to 30 psi & it took a mind blowing 22 minutes 15 seconds to inflate them from 0 to 30 psi :shock:

Heres the faithfull old girl an Halfords powerpack job thats spent the last 4+ years being bumped about in the back of Zuks now in my shed powering the radio :D

P4140002.jpg

P4140003.jpg

P4140004.jpg

I also removed the schrader valve from the valve body of my spare today to completely deflate it so I could time how long it would take the T-Max to blow it back up to 30 psi :) 1 minute 50 seconds :dance: :dance: It's prety good I think :D

PA040661.jpg

PA040662.jpg

Here's a few more photos showing the size :) I'm touching the compressor in each photo :)

PA040652.jpg

PA040657.jpg

PA040658.jpg

And it was only £90 :D

I have been reading this with great interest as a compressor is on the list of things to get. Having read around it seems you get what you pay for and the 3/4 makes i have found are:

Fini £400
Viair 440p £190
T-max £80

There is puma that the chaps down under rate but cant seem to get it here.

Is it worth the extra dosh for a so called "better" compressor. Please keep in mind that it will be heading back to SA with us in a years time and the temp range there is quite different to here.

I really ought to stop reading this forum - there is always another "toy" or mod to get...

warrenpfo said:
Is it worth the extra dosh for a so called "better" compressor. Please keep in mind that it will be heading back to SA with us in a years time and the temp range there is quite different to here.
Warren, asusming your trip to SA will be a typical overlanding trip as opposed to a Sahara tour - on a Sahara tour or any trip involving variable soft conditions, you would expect to be airing up and down a lot, so a "better" compressor is (more) essential.

Driving down Africa and sticking to gravel and occasional tarred roads, you won't be airing down the tyres much, if at all. And you'll be quite heavily-laden, so I would think your tyre pressure range is likely to be 1.8-2.5 bar, depending on conditions (and your preference :mrgreen: ). Even a Halfords Finest will do that job for 99% of the time, in fact a more compact compressor might be better :idea: You might have the odd puncture repair and reinflating the tyre from 0 but other than taking a bit of time, most decent compressors will do the job.

As mentioned before, I have the lower grade T-Max to Steven's and I am perfectly happy with it and would rely on it to do tyre-pumping duties from London to SA. :auto-driving:

My 2c!

Andrew

Many thanks for the reply, we may have got our wires crossed in that yes I am returning to SA but not driving there rather via ship as we will have a new born.

The compressor will be used in SA when we go on trips and general 4x4ing around the place with a fair bit of soft sand driving.

My thinking is that you may be right and a cheaper one will do the job so am thinking of going down the middle of the road and seeing what I can get for sub £200.

It will need to not only do tyres but blow up mattresses and kids toys for the pool, balls, and if I can run the odd air tool and by that I mean a ratchet for doing work on our farm back home and blowing out the car that would be great but think I may then need to look at one with a tank which then changes things but I may be wrong.

Ah, ok I do recall you mentioning that in the past - my mistake! :oops:

warrenpfo said:
It will need to not only do tyres but blow up mattresses and kids toys for the pool, balls,
You really want a low-pressure, high volume pump for this - the sorts of compressors used for tyres simply do not have the volumetric flow-rate to sensibly be used for this task. They'll do it but will run for ages and get hot. Why use your expensive compressor when a £10 special from Tesco/Argos/cheapo store will do the job better?

warrenpfo said:
and if I can run the odd air tool and by that I mean a ratchet for doing work on our farm back home and blowing out the car that would be great but think I may then need to look at one with a tank which then changes things but I may be wrong.
Yep, you will need a tank and/or a heavy-duty compressor.

OT - where is your farm in SA?

Cheers,

Chilly part of the world :thumbup:
We had a family farm between Kamberg and Giants Castle (sold a couple of years ago) and my old man has a few farms in the Karkloof.

Cheers,

I have the model before this (I think like Andrew might have). I have been quite impressed with it and will be using for an overland trip and while I live in SA permanently from next year.

It would be great to have on-board air, but I've got to spare the pennies and spend in more important areas.

Anyway, I just happen to have a copy of SA4x4 magazine on my desk and scanned in a review they did on Steve's compressor.
Nothing major learnt here, but I've read a number of people in SA using T-Max's and they all seem happy.. :thumbup:
:
tmaxc.jpg

tmaxb.jpg

I'd second the comments on the guage not being accurate!! Mine has to pump to approx. 45psi indicated on the guage for an actual 35psi as verified by 2 other guages :think:

Interesting, are most of the hand held ones not accurate with their gauges as this means having to carry yet another bit of kit all be it small to check pressures.

To change the subject quickly there seems to be a number of us UK saffas heading back to SA over the next 2 years which i think is great news and on another note for just over a £1 you can get the latest 4x4 magazine and the wheels magazine online which you can then download or print if you like.

http://www.mymag.co.za/

Back