Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The nicest one i have seen lately

tomfj40

Country Flag
scotland
Hi my name is Tom,
I just joined the forum and hope to buy an FJ40

Would like anyone's thoughts on this car. I went to view but the boss was gone so I never got much information. Spoke to a guy who works there, he said the car just arrived from abroad it is right hand drive and petrol he said the car drives well. I would appreciate some input, I know nothing about mechanical stuff, don't know what questions to ask, I
fj40.jpg
just love the look of the FJ40.

Hi Tom, And welcome. There are a couple of lads on the Forum who are experts on the 40 series... so they would be better to advise than me... but that does look a cracking truck.. They are simplistic enough and im sure basic mechanical skills would keep it going.... BUT at nearly 30 grand?.. there are some great looking swb diesels for sale for half the money... Dont be put off its just my opinion.. Good luck with the search mate.

Hi Tom, And welcome. There are a couple of lads on the Forum who are experts on the 40 series... so they would be better to advise than me... but that does look a cracking truck.. They are simplistic enough and im sure basic mechanical skills would keep it going.... BUT at nearly 30 grand?.. there are some great looking swb diesels for sale for half the money... Dont be put off its just my opinion.. Good luck with the search mate.
Hi Higgy,
Thank you for the response. I have been looking for an FJ40 for more than year. I have seen a few I liked but now I am serious and want to own one soon. I will go and look at that car again and let you know my thoughts.
The pickup is great but I would need more of an SUV, 2 labs and 2 kids my wife could live with a standard fj40, I really want to use it for weekend adventures for the family.

Hi Tom and welcome,
I can't expand the other photos in the advert so can only comment from the one larger picture.
The ad says it is a '78 but the grille surround is post '81. the surround it should have is like the one shown in my avatar, but as you have been searching for a while, I expect you already know that.
Did you notice whether the seam rail that runs down from the windscreen edge went into the side step and was there a recess in the step to allow it through? If so it is later than '80/81. If not it is earlier but it means that the front valance panel has been changed/modified as the h/lights sit slightly further apart post '81. Theses are not necessarily problems as most trucks get modified through their lives.
It would be worth getting the VIN number and either putting that into toyodiy or posting it here and we can tell you about the truck.

FJ40s - possibly teaching granny to suck eggs - have straight 6 petrol (15-17mpg) with either 3, 4 or 5 speed box (depending on year and spec) Only late ones (LXs) have p/s but it may have been added. Check if the handbrake works on the rear axle or is a separate drum behind the transfer case. Areas to look at in detail for corrosion are: bottom of front valance, inside at the bottom; windscreen surround; bottom of doors and sills; seam line where the inner rear arches are welded to the outer wing; inside rear wings around the curve and the rear body cross-member and the bottom of the rear doors. Check the chassis above the front curve as they can crack there.
Check all these areas with a magnet wrapped in muslin so it doesn't harm the paint.

In fairness that is top dollar so expect it to be perfect. I can not quite make out the plate but there will be clues as to the quality of restoration by the country it has come from. For that money it should have full UK registration and clear papers.

When you re-visit take loads of photos and anything you are not sure about ask on here and you'll get answers as there are several 40freaks on here.

Regards,

Rodger

As Rodger says this is top dollar. It's hard to tell details from the advert - I don't recognise that number plate. Would it be from Indonesia?? And there are no interior or engine bay photos. (Rodger this is the link https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1092412) As a comparison, a fully restored FJ40 (early 70's) sold for about £23k at auction in 2017 but then a soft top did sell for £33k in March. It does seem like a lot of money to me. Remember, just because people have spent a lot of money restoring a vehicle doesn't mean it is worth what they have spent!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the link, Snowbound.
Tom, you need to look carefully at the rear right corner - just below the rear door. Also looking at the photo side on the door shut at the top is not right and it shows up at the rear where the hardtop meets the rear curve.
If the door was hung correctly the gap between the hardtop and the door would be incorrect but this shows up at the rear end - the curvature of the rear of the hardtop should line up with the rear curve of the body but it doesn't.
It may be a relatively easy adjustment (they have probably elongated the front hard top bolt holes and may be that's why the rubbers are being pushed out) but like I said above for this money it should be perfect.

regards,

Rodger

Also worth checking all the panels are steel, not fibreglass, or filler!

Hi tomfj40 me fj40 is for sale have a look on 40 series fj40 for sale LED with 4L 6 Cyl .that fj45 4o looking a top job on the cruiser and welcome :thumbup:

Other things to think about; you say you're looking at you + wife + 2 kids + 2 dogs... the SWB is going to be snug with that I'd suspect, and unless it's an LX it won't have forward facing rear seats.

£30k is steep - good BJ42 are heading towards $35k over here, with some over that - but not $60k (often...)

The 2F isn't a bad engine, but they are carby so require some of the older mechanics to work on them, and other old school bits and pieces.

I'll leave Rodger to offer advice on body work - my HJ45 is a 20 foot car... looks fine from 20 foot away, but don't get too close!

I think that keeping an eye on mobile.de is worthwhile as well; whilst they're in Europe, they do seem to be more sensible prices.

Hi Tom,
In an earlier post I asked about the drain rail passing through the side step and according to the photos it does so that makes the body (at least) post 1980. Check the vin plate and take a magnet .

There are some nice 40s on the site Ed linked. May be worth considering a 43 as they are just a bit longer.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi guys,
thanks for the input. I visited the car again with a magnet and a mechanic. The car is a 1979 not 1978 as advertised. The channel you mentioned Roger goes into the door step. The car mechanic spent an hour checking the car. The car is awaiting UK registration so we could not take it out on the rd but the yard is big and we tested it as much as we could. John the mechanic said the engine is strong the car is solid underneath and rust free, clutch/brakes/suspension/steering all good. The car was imported from Indonesia. The owner will email me photos of the car going through its rebuild, when I get them I will post them. I really liked the car and have not seen one in that condition, I have looked at FJ40s but most have been left hand drive. I want a car that
has been looked after and will not need work done on it. The car is not as big inside as I thought, so talking it over with my wife.
Thank you for all the advice and car links.
Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm glad that your mechanic gave it a clean bill of health and that the magnet stuck. As you have said they are quite small inside so ultimately it's down to whether you and your family can manage in it.

If you decide that it is just too small it may be worth looking for a 43/44 and those models are certainly available in Indonesia and now, it appears, you have a contact out there. Could he find and restore one for you? Can't remember exactly how much longer they are but the wheelbase is 2430mm as opposed to the 40's 2285mm.

Anyway whatever you decide do let us know and if you need further information just ask.

Regards,

Rodger

hello tom, that jeep looks in great nick it is definitely from indonesia. I am an aircraft mechanic and see them
running around the airports all the time, at smaller airports they are used for everything from fire tenders, luggage movers and tugs, they are used by the military also. good chance that car is an ex-army jeep. the army as a rule maintain all their vehicles well, they get sold at auction or sold cheap to officers. i have an expat pal
who had 4 or 5 old toyotas he was restoring them then sending them to the uk and hong kong. he said to me you have to look at 50 cars to get the right one. my pal told me that rich indonesians spend a fortune on doing up old cars then blow them out when the trend changes, indonesia is the 4th richest country in the world. good luck with your car if you get it.

Hi Tom,

I'm glad that your mechanic gave it a clean bill of health and that the magnet stuck. As you have said they are quite small inside so ultimately it's down to whether you and your family can manage in it.

If you decide that it is just too small it may be worth looking for a 43/44 and those models are certainly available in Indonesia and now, it appears, you have a contact out there. Could he find and restore one for you? Can't remember exactly how much longer they are but the wheelbase is 2430mm as opposed to the 40's 2285mm.

Anyway whatever you decide do let us know and if you need further information just ask.

Regards,

Rodger
Hi Rodger,
Thanks for all the info. I really don't want to try importing a car, i would rather see what I would be buying.
I think the space thing could be a problem so I will try to find a longer version if possible if not I may put in an offer for the blue Fj40. Thanks again

hello tom, that jeep looks in great nick it is definitely from indonesia. I am an aircraft mechanic and see them
running around the airports all the time, at smaller airports they are used for everything from fire tenders, luggage movers and tugs, they are used by the military also. good chance that car is an ex-army jeep. the army as a rule maintain all their vehicles well, they get sold at auction or sold cheap to officers. i have an expat pal
who had 4 or 5 old toyotas he was restoring them then sending them to the uk and hong kong. he said to me you have to look at 50 cars to get the right one. my pal told me that rich indonesians spend a fortune on doing up old cars then blow them out when the trend changes, indonesia is the 4th richest country in the world. good luck with your car if you get it.

Hi Paul,
Thank you for the info. The FJ40 looks really good to me and my mechanic thought the car was sound. The previous owner seems to have done a fine job with the rebuild. It is good to know there are still many FJ40s running around over there. If your friend is still restoring cars, do you know if he has any cars for sale in the UK.
Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Don;t know if it helps but the 41, 43 and, I think, the 44 are 14 inches longer in the cab than the 40 & 42.

Regards,

Rodger

Back