Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

Again, I have tried to stay out of this thread but perhaps we might agree on one thing and that is:

No one really knows. One way or another, until we get to where it is we're finally going and can look back, no one really knows.

The devil is in the detail my friend but being 3 sheets to the wind can give a certain perspective

Aye and just as soon as the mrs stops argueing about what colour our new garden gate will be i will tear this house down and build us a better house , very distracting those details .

hmmm is that 18 or 19 or comments since my last post , forgive me i been drinking today so can't count , maybe thats why i can't see anything written in the 18/19posts that is actually relevant to why Britain should remain or leave .

Nobody knows. If your life right now is shit then you can change it. Might be better. Might be worse. You don't know. All you know is who the people are who will implement the change.

I'm guessing we will be where we were before we joined the EU.
Not in the EU?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

Did you see George Clarke’s thing on council housing the other night?
Really quite shocking

No Moggy i didn't.
I think if we build real social housing we can cause the house prices to fall and make more people homeowners. It must be frustrating to be a copper or a nurse and not be able to ever own a home. A shot in the arm for the construction industry, apprenticeships for young people, jobs for transport workers, money in communities spent in pubs and shops.
The only losers would be the banks and the councils who love the high band council tax.

I bet some of the houses were uninhabitable, I'm sure many on here will remember that smell from being young...Damp.

It just makes me sad to think people still have to endure these conditions.

No Moggy i didn't.
I think if we build real social housing we can cause the house prices to fall and make more people homeowners. It must be frustrating to be a copper or a nurse and not be able to ever own a home. A shot in the arm for the construction industry, apprenticeships for young people, jobs for transport workers, money in communities spent in pubs and shops.
The only losers would be the banks and the councils who love the high band council tax.

I bet some of the houses were uninhabitable, I'm sure many on here will remember that smell from being young...Damp.

It just makes me sad to think people still have to endure these conditions.
Try and watch it on catchup, it's quite a thing

What for when there is non available so those who need them have to rent private places that make council houses seem like palaces , and once you rent private you no longer qualify for a council house .

...as well as landloards & land owners & other speculators & spivs. vast amounts of cash have been handed out in the form of tax breaks on BTL mortgages & housing benefits & whilst parliament is full of landlords - who voted to block a bill that would require rented housing to be fit for habitation - things wont change.Or maybe once Brexit happens & we regain sovereignty this at least will be fixed :lol:

Maybe if more tenants behaved like human beings some landlords would be more inclined to keep the property to a good standard.
The amount of rental property that we have worked on that I've seen work mates run back out of and throw up you wouldn't believe..

Obviously all tenants are not like this before it's mentioned.

We could solve all sorts of problems by drafting anyone who can't get a job or is otherwise unable to afford to buy a house into the eu army , maybe even save the planet to boot given world population will shrink dramatically when the eu declares war on America , with Russia and China as allies of course , and all in the name of freedom .

Maybe if more tenants behaved like human beings some landlords would be more inclined to keep the property to a good standard.
The amount of rental property that we have worked on that I've seen work mates run back out of and throw up you wouldn't believe..

Obviously all tenants are not like this before it's mentioned.
Maybe if more landlords made sure that rental property was at a decent standard more tenants would behave like decent human beings? Many tenants face summary eviction , as well as deposits stolen & other abuses.

Maybe if more landlords made sure that rental property was at a decent standard more tenants would behave like decent human beings? Many tenants face summary eviction , as well as deposits stolen & other abuses.
That's not my experience I'm afraid.

That's not my experience I'm afraid.
Are we talking about the bad behaviour of a minority or a rotten system that gives all power to landlords? Some good friends of mine are paying £1750 a month for a house that has single glazed sash windows & hasn't had a coat of paint since the 1980s. My friend has a well paying job but since his wife suffered a life changing medical emergency they have been plunged into poverty , just managing to survive month to month.the system is completely broken & mentioning the behaviour of bad tenants is,irrelevant.

if mentioning the behaviour of bad tenants is irrelevant, mentioning the behaviour of bad landlords is equally irrelevant..

like I said, its not my experience.

I know plenty of very good landlords. in fact, I don't know a bad one. we do a reasonable amount of work on landlords properties. we have recently finished converting a building into 13 apartments. all brand new and all to a good standard.

Is the bad behaviour of some tenants the reason we have poor accommodation? I've been a landlord & know about bad tenants - and good landlords - but current legislation along with savage cuts to CAB , legal aid & environmental health have left folks at the mercy of the market.This is one of the reasons public housing was built in the first place.
Perhaps the landlords you work for are dealing with a higher end of the market? Or in an area where there isn't a large demand? At the lower end theres hardly any affordable housing & folks have to take what's on offer.The number of people living on the streets is rocketing & the lack of new builds isn't an accident or oversight.

It makes no odds when theres no choices involved , my stepdaughter dragged me around a load of dumps when she decided it was time her , her boyfriend and baby should make a start in life . Both employed part time because its all they could get to work around the baby , they didn't qualify for a council house because they lived with us (ex 3 bedroom council house) for 3 couples and 2 babies .

They couldn't afford to even look at the more expensive places available but the 450 initial monthly budget for rent very quickly rose to 650 which was more than half their joint monthly income . Then theres 300 or so a month for gas , electric and poll tax .

In the end we found a clean one and i replaced all the dodgy plug sockets , replumbed the sink , replaced the broken window pane to make it reasonably habitable so she could decorate and make it nice .

When she moved out the landlord's (a couple) turned nasty deliberately turning up to check the house over when she knew my daughter had to be the best part of a mile away collecting her child from nursery (on foot) , insisting she was never called or emailed , recieved no complaints over the whole term of the tenancy and making it nigh on impossible for my daughter to give the keys back by the due date - or incur another months rent dues .

I fixed that because they had both met me once and i guess they got the message when i turned up at the agency in a very bad mood demanding their home address .

They refused to return the deposit which didn't really matter because the kids couldn't afford it so it was my money , and of course i then paid the deposit on the next house . Which gave us all the time in the world to appeal to the deposit moderator people whoever they are and get fully reimbursed maybe 9 months later .

These are lucky kids doing well in todays Britain and they know it .

Take parents out of the equasion and how many times can you see homeless appearing in the above .

Back