Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

I have not read back through the 55 pages of views, thoughts, insults and cat-fighting, but I have just signed this petition and read how to legitimately vote for none of the above and still have my vote counted rather than it being dismissed as spoiled. I do vote, I want to vote, it's my right and duty to vote but what can I do when there simply isn't a viable option that I can go for?

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...ne-of-the-above-option-for-all-uk-elections-2

Vote for the least worse option. Or the option that minimises the risk of the worse option getting power.

The problem I see with NOTA is that you just have to keep running elections until someone other than NOTA wins. Which is essentially what we've had in parliament for the last 3 years. And I'm not convinced it's worked well.

I like the idea but its very easy to vote for what you don't want , 4 people at a 4 way crossroads might die there if they all voted for the route they dont want to take .

Its worth bearing in mind that while the choices do seem quite dire that nobody can make guaranteed promises on the main issue because they will be decided on in a faraway land light years away from the British electorate .

But being forced to make a choice isn't really a choice is it.

But being forced to make a choice isn't really a choice is it.

Which is why there is usually null. You aren't forced to vote. If you chose not to you enable whoever gets into power because you had the option to vote for someone else. And that is your choice.

I know this might be seen as heresy but even an 80 isn't perfect. You made a least bad choice. You could have walked.

Sorry Rob, but I simply don't agree. No I am not forced to vote, but people fought and died so that I could. So I will, but faced with being shot, stabbed or hanged, which would you opt for? Don't tell me you wouldn't ask if there was a none of the above option....

Your analogy doesn't quite work for me. The 80 simply is NOT the least bad choice. It was a good choice but not perfect. I'd be happy with that. But facing toward tomorrow, I can't see a good, but imperfect choice. If I vote 'save the mole' or 'window cleaners against tax on fish fingers' party then it really doesn't make my true feelings know. It really IS a wasted vote. Many systems have a legit option for saying 'none'. Now whether you consider that to be a wasted vote or a protest that is recorded is up to the individual I guess.

I suppose I find it ironic that in a general election the result is decided on first past the post, but in a referendum it's one man one vote.

Frankly though if they stuck a Landcruiser on the ballot paper, I'd vote for it no question. Not long now and it will all be over and everything will be perfect. According to all the parties. We'll see.

I'm nearly 70 and experience tells me all the manifesto promises will be pie in the sky when whoever gets in.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've a mate who once said no matter which government you vote for, there'll always be one. Perhaps if we all didn't vote for one they'd have to do something different. Hey ho.

As i see it there's 3 choices

1. vote for a party ran by someone who will bankrupt the country permanently by tea time .

2. vote for a party ran by a loose cannon but nevertheless gives us a strong government for better or for worse .

3. vote for any of the other parties and get another few years very much like the last 3 .

Shayne that's precisely the summary that I came up with however, there are some additions to the first two options at least

1. who also want to negotiate a new deal (by tea time) but give you the binary choice of accept or remain. So what if you want to leave but not with that particular deal? ie neither of those options. Whom if they win might end up having to implement Brexit under their terms (OMG) OR preside over the country under remain their conditions. (OMG2)

2. and is committed to leaving the EU no question. End of story.

And that's my quandary. As a remainer, it's difficult to find a real choice. If I wanted to leave, then my choice would be simple. Well you might say there's parties committed to remaining. Yes but they're not going to end up running the country under our electoral system are they

I'll sleep on it. Of course we've the other election to consider. The Apprentice. Now if that's not a case for having a NOTA vote I don't know what is!!!!

If we can negotiate from a position of strength then perhaps at last we will see some real compromise on both sides of the channel and focus on links nobody wants to break rather than throwing up ideological barriers at every turn . I feel its the only route to the best possible outcome , for the other 27 as well .

Just look at page 48 of the conservative manifesto and then tell me you still want to vote for them, taking back power front the eu and giving it parliament my arse.

Some corker from that page:

We will ensure that judicial review is available to protect the rights of the individuals against an overbearing state, while ensuring that it is not abused to conduct politics by another means or to create needless delay

AKA we got a court order and never want to receive another one or have Boris ever be acceptable to the courts again

Not to mention the redrawing of constituency lines and using data more in government aka move the goal posts so it's harder to get voted out and use even more targeted advertising oooo and stating that they will not change the voting age and or change the voting system. First time Ive seen what parties aren't going got do in a manifesto, all so that no conservative MPS can even talk about fixing the broken first past the post system.

That's just the scary highlights of that page, all geared towards fixing the system so it's harder to vote them out in the future. Got to give it to Boris he wants to be a good dictator, I mean it's like he's trying to fix the system and remove the courts so they can't intervene.

Funny how that page is named page 48 and not article 48.

Shayne that's precisely the summary that I came up with however, there are some additions to the first two options at least

1. who also want to negotiate a new deal (by tea time) but give you the binary choice of accept or remain. So what if you want to leave but not with that particular deal? ie neither of those options. Whom if they win might end up having to implement Brexit under their terms (OMG) OR preside over the country under remain their conditions. (OMG2)

2. and is committed to leaving the EU no question. End of story.

And that's my quandary. As a remainer, it's difficult to find a real choice. If I wanted to leave, then my choice would be simple. Well you might say there's parties committed to remaining. Yes but they're not going to end up running the country under our electoral system are they

I'll sleep on it. Of course we've the other election to consider. The Apprentice. Now if that's not a case for having a NOTA vote I don't know what is!!!!

You're lucky to have an option. The seat I live in is so safe it matters not who I vote for. I still do though.

I do think if Brexit is the overriding concern the choice is easy. Blue gets us out quickly. Red might keep us in. If Lib / Green / PC / SNP have a chance where you live they will keep us in. Understand the red concerns, but you get to choose again in 5 years. Realistically you won't get a Brejoin choice in anything like that timescale. Also can't see any way red will get enough of a majority to push through the elements furthest to the left of their ideology. At best they'll need a coalition to get power.

Well I exercised my democratic right, but damm it's like choosing to have my arm chopped off or to be stabbed in the eye.....

Like the idea of NOTA

Well I exercised my democratic right, but damm it's like choosing to have my arm chopped off or to be stabbed in the eye.....

Like the idea of NOTA

Yes indeed with you there Tony! Had to vote strategically to keep the one that you don't want ruling your county! Not necessarily the one I wanted to vote for but strategically like I said lol!...

NOTA would have been appropriate!

Well if the exit poll is accurate, then we will need all the luck we can get

Like the idea of NOTA
Eye, every time...

Last edited:
Back