Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

Bit of common sense... this deal was negotiated months ago, but all parties recognised that their local populations wouldn't like it. So... months of posturing and then there is a last minute deal. Everyone involved is so pleased there isn't a car-crash exit, meaning its politically acceptable. (script was written at leat 12 months ago). Hey ho...

Game of chicken i reckon , a complete and permanent surrender of national interest or crash . Never play chicken with someone who has nothing to lose .

The small print is yet to be revealed but there was never going to be a winner the results will be obvious to anyone who remembers to contemplate it 10 years from now .

Do the Players win in multiple games of a stale mate or is it we the pieces that have to Actually Have To Play The Same Game And W I N

Not long now people.... :dance:

250-A4-B63-0-F19-4642-B6-DC-A69-A63-D58815.jpg

:icon-wink:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1609439772525.png

Someone with a name we know for a change , someone who's career path is directly linked to electoral approval . Someone who can explain to me why £23 million has been spent on arts projests in Wales over the last 10 years when people are dying for lack of ambulances .

Someone with a name we know for a change , someone who's career path is directly linked to electoral approval . Someone who can explain to me why £23 million has been spent on arts projests in Wales over the last 10 years when people are dying for lack of ambulances .

Nothing and nobody, apart from our very own UK government (of various colours and persuasions) stopped you doing that before, so I wouldn't hold your breath hoping you'll be able to do it in the future. :icon-wink:

:thumbup:

Now that the hour is almost finally upon us, any chance there could be a threadxit, and close this divisive discussion for once and for all. Bed made, lie in it, hope its comfy etc... 2021 is calling and it wants its news headlines back, depressing as they are.

Obviously we can close the discussion down here - probably not a bad idea, as arguing about Brexit on a Landcruiser enthusiast's forum hardly moves the wider debate forward.

However, if you mean closing the discussion in general, then, no - I guess it will go on and on.....otherwise all the Eurosceptics would have shut up and put up nearly 50 years ago and we wouldn't be having this debate at all.

Anyway, I hope you all have a very happy new year and wish you all the best for 2021, regardless of your views on Brexit. :thumbup:

Oh I know it can't be closed in the wider world, but here, it has driven some vitriolic argument among comrades in cruisers, and we should be able to respect each others leanings/beliefs/views, even if they have owned a Land Rover. I for one, won't be continuing my sporadic posts on the matter, no matter what the next number of months have in store for the UK.

More Landcruisers!

I for one will stop posting on this thread, as you say it's all rather pointless, as most of our views in the subject are now so entrenched, that it's unlikely we will gain anything from the debate.

However, you mention "respect each others views" and "owned a Land Rover" in the same sentence - now you're really pushing your luck!! :icon-wink:

:thumbup:

A couple of interesting pieces from Australia:

Interesting That one Paddler Ed, Maybe in Hindsight The Brexit vote should have included our Common wealth countries as well :thumbup: ..

My favourite part of the deal is the copy paste part from a 1998 document about data exchange :)

Interesting That one Paddler Ed, Maybe in Hindsight The Brexit vote should have included our Common wealth countries as well :thumbup: ..

Unfortunately I can't get a German passport (I've checked) as my Grandmother was German, and whilst Mum was born in Hamburg, Grandad was British.... so no go there for me. But basically for a lot of Australians, this is the similar route that they would look at.

Interesting how much of an employment advantage it was for some people, but who knows what the next round of agreements will yield... or if travel is allowed again :p

Brexit isn't over , it's just starting. The next few years will see which side was right but underlying all this is the fact that the UK is now a deeply divided nation. The hard brexit faction of the Tory party may feel that the deal is a betrayal , especially when they read the small print. The start of this was a battle between two factions in the Tory party with most of the general public indifferent to the subject. The myth of the outside enemy causing the woes of the UK has let the Tories - and Labour - off the hook for 40 years of economic policy that has asset stripped the UK and left a large proportion of ordinary folks with the same or lower standard of living that they enjoyed in the 70s.Now that the bogeyman has finally gone it will be interesting to see who is blamed for present and future problems. Some on the right saw Brexit as a chance to destroy the EU but made it more likely that the UK will be the union that separates.
My own position on this hasn't changed - I'm indifferent to Brexit , it won't affect me too much but the questions of how unaccountable power from Whitehall differs from that in Brussels remains unanswered.

Looks another blow for sovereignty, hard border in the Irish sea and now Gibraltar has jumped ship and joined the Schengen zone to allow freedom of movement with their neighbours Spain!

Back