Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

Goods over £135, you should expect HMRC to charge VAT on at the point of release into the UK, and your courier should be billing you for this. And also charge you an admin fee for the privilege, and this is where the increase in carriage fees seems to be coming from. Some people are bundling it onto the P&P charge, some get you to pay it at point of delivery.

Goods under £135 should have VAT charged by the seller and paid to HMRC. Seller's have to register to be allowed to sell into the UK. There have been a few examples of sellers saying they will no longer sell to UK because of the cost of registering to do this.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. :thumbup:

Interesting link in that article to William Shatner (yes, that one) who apparently raised this issue late last year.

Brexit journey: to boldly go where no man has gone before.....

Time will tell, as always. :icon-wink:

I *think* but don't quote me as I haven't tried it yet, that you also now have to pay VAT on imported second-hand goods from the EU. Previously when it was all one VAT region you only paid the VAT once, on the original sale. So second-hand parts imported from the EU should end up costing more than previously. In addition to the extra admin fees for HMRC getting involved.

This was certainly always the case outside the EU. So I've bought second hand items from the US that someone had already paid US sales tax on, but I then get charged more sales tax (VAT) on importing to the UK.

Yes, found the below elsewhere, which seems to confirm your thoughts.

For any new goods sales, VAT can be deducted in the UK and paid for on arrival. Alternatively the seller can register for VAT in each country of the EU (or just one if their main market) and simplify the buying process by setting the local VAT.

The VAT on used sales is different (only paid on the profit) and does not seem to be covered under the trade agreement. This makes used goods subject to 20% additional VAT on import (additional because VAT has already been paid once) whereas new goods can be sold "tax free" and the VAT paid at the appropriate local rate upon import to the destination country.

Yes, found the below elsewhere, which seems to confirm your thoughts.

And I bet the MSM won't report this positive news that there will be more cash in the government's coffers to pay for Serco's Christmas party next year.

Before I moved to Somerset lived in Battle E Sussex used to go to the retail centre in Ashford there were lots of French families who were shopping for children's clothing as in France they had to pay the nasty on kids stuff while we were zero rated so fair exchange we buy the booze they buy the kids clothes or to put it another way the Brits do a booze crooze and the French do a kids

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So a screenshot of "where WE are!" With regard to being able to trade!

Screenshot (7).png

We are shoulder to shoulder with Armenia.. we're nothing on the main stage! Trade is a very important mechanism to "make" a country work! Aand what we have been taken to is as I said before is a "A down grade".. Look at the reality! We were in the centre of the pic.

Back in 2016 I saw through this but many didn't... blinded by the light of what was on offer! Reality is?

Attachments

• Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    908 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Another complexity of our tariff-free deal I only fully realised yesterday. Goods are only tariff-free if the bulk of their value is added in the EU. I wanted to buy a US manufactured bicycle component from a seller in the Netherlands. Can't get it in the UK and postage from the US is a lot, plus still got to pay import duty.

If I buy from the Dutch shop there is now 14% duty to add.

You can see where all the extra paperwork and checks come in at the border, even for goods being transported from (and to) the EU.

@Chas - In the same way, I believe it will be similar if you sell to the EU - your (EU) buyers will end up paying more, which obviously makes it less attractive for them to buy from UK too.

Last edited:
And yet i paid about £18 doorstep charges for a lightbar direct from China which was 1/3 the price the very same lightbar could be found anywhere behind the EU Iron Curtain . Sadly i can't find the paperwork to post up .

Free trade is not free it simply removes the onus on governments to maintain the profit/employment balance and hands it instead to multinational conglomerates who work on a supply and demand principal , and thanks to the EU they have now grown so wealthy that they can steer demand any way they wish by removing choice .

Remove milk from the shelves and the value of water goes up - its more profitable . Of course milk will still be delivered to the ivory towers for free because those forced to drink water will pay for it .

Right, I've just read it and I buy and sell on eBay so in future if I buy something from the EU that requires any sort of extra payment on delivery it will be the last.

Ebay are adding on the VAT charges for goods coming from the EU and paying directly to HMRC. From July they will be doing the same thing going the other way. And some other complications....

Shouldnt be any payment required on delivery, unless goods are over £135. I'm not clear what happens if they are over £135.

Ebay are adding on the VAT charges for goods coming from the EU and paying directly to HMRC. From July they will be doing the same thing going the other way. And some other complications....

Shouldnt be any payment required on delivery, unless goods are over £135. I'm not clear what happens if they are over £135.
Right so I won't be buying anything over £135 then.

The VAT will be about the same as a EU country can't add their own VAT on to the price, it will come duty free then the UK will add our own VAT and Duty just like what happens from every other non EU country
Nothing to gain for us leaving the EU just a crock of shit

Cronyism , pay 10 times that amount to 10 EU billionaires and not a soul will report it publicly , isn't that so much better :icon-rolleyes:

Back