Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

its a little naive, and/or biased to believe cronyism is exclusive to the conservatives...

Very true.

However I don't think a single government, of any colour, has had the bare faced cheek to rub the public's nose in it quite like this current one.

It's all in plain sight. This is just the latest.....

£350 million - that figure rings a bell, surely there must be a Red bus somewhere we can write it on. :icon-evil:

Now that the hour is almost finally upon us, any chance there could be a threadxit, and close this divisive discussion for once and for all. Bed made, lie in it, hope its comfy etc... 2021 is calling and it wants its news headlines back, depressing as they are.
Feels like this thread really has run its course. We clearly have two sides to this argument, and I can't see either side agreeing, so this has now just become a thread of one-upmanship with both sides trying to prove their point.

It's done, for better or worse we have left the EU, so I agree with Bob it feels a bit pointless now.

Feels like this thread really has run its course. We clearly have two sides to this argument, and I can't see either side agreeing, so this has now just become a thread of one-upmanship with both sides trying to prove their point.

It's done, for better or worse we have left the EU, so I agree with Bob it feels a bit pointless now.

I don't feel there is much arguing over the decision here any more. The decision has been taken. We know who thinks it was a good idea and who doesn't.

We seem to be looking more at what has changed and what we can do to adapt. Given the details of our trading relationship was only signed last month no one knew exactly what it was going to look like and so there can't have been any discussion on specifics prior to that. Whether or not that discussion belongs in the same thread is perhaps another question.

There's always going to be a few digs from people with differing opinions, but to me it feels a much calmer thread than it was a few months ago.

Agree there Rob, and it's probably calmer now, because people are sick of it, and everyone has run out of their own ideas of what is better or worse.
TonyP is spot on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well we do live in a democratic society, well at least on this forum we do, so I'm happy to leave this open as long as it remains civil etc

The VAT will be about the same as a EU country can't add their own VAT on to the price, it will come duty free then the UK will add our own VAT and Duty just like what happens from every other non EU country
Nothing to gain for us leaving the EU just a crock of shit

Exactly David.. There was a golden egg for each of the brexit voters! Just will take time for it to get through to them!

Once again "We had a country that once paid for a membership that covered (our) import's! Now we have a country that doesn't.. The people who voted for it now pay more for their imported goods!"

It's not even funny! But the funny thing is when the brexit voters notice! :laughing-rolling:

As we've had fishing, fishing, fishing! Fishing contributes to less than 1% of gdp, similar levels to lawn mower sales!

We haven't heard much about the financial services sector which contributes upto a massive stonking 80% of gdp!

It appears that the financial services have been left out and are loosing serious trade of 6 billion a day! (so it say's)

Due to the size of business the financial services is/was, where is the missing revenue in taxes going to come from?

Should we be very worried about this serious situation? (I am!)

HMRC estimate the added costs to business as much as 7 billon a year .The DTI has been advising struggling businesses to relocate to the EU to avoid the fallout.The comments about VAT seem to forget that less imports = less VAT charged .

It's going real well indeed! If a business moves to the eu then I'm guessing that the uk staff would struggle to follow the company as there's visa's and 90 days out of 180 days allowed.

I used to go and work in France the South mainly, rebuilding old buildings.. used to go for 5 month stints to get the job done. If I had the chance to do that these days then I would say it wouldn't be possible with the 90 days out of 180 allowance. Thats a right shame as I have fond memories of working there! A really good time!

A Cheshire cheese company manager who has problems exporting "His" product. Was told best to relocate to France by DEFRA. He was planning to invest 1 million pounds to expand his business in Macclesfield .

With freedom of movement taken away from us.. it means that in this case a possible local French town would benefit from the companies forced relocation.

This was recommended by a uk gov body to take the business away from this country. Speechless!

Rumblings have been going on for a while, several of the Orange Order Lodges are not at all happy, the situation not being helped by Johnsons reported attitude back in 2018:

The deal was struck with one party absolutely determined to prevent the very thing they were supposed to be negotiating from happening at all = nothing was worked out .

If you run a business and you just lost half your customers overnight what will you do with your surplus stock ? what if its perishable ? you will sell it cheaper because you have to , and that won't replace the revenue lost .

So now and only now on both sides of the argument amidst crashing global economies will everyone start seeking solutions .

Who will choose to go bankrupt in order to show support for some half arsed idea of political ideology - nobody thats who .

Money makes the world go round and it won't take 5 years to correct the flow .

When I first read it, I genuinely thought you were referring to the UK Government, or more specifically, the "Brexit at any cost" wing of the Tory party.

However, from previous posts on the subject, I'm pretty sure that you're referring to the EU when you say "one party absolutely determined to prevent..." or "show support for some half arsed idea of political ideology".

Looking at the lead up to and during negotiations plus the current post-Brexit status for both sides - I would say, your quote certainly applies to the UK Gov more than the EU.

Apologies, if I have mistaken the target of your post. :thumbup:

The deal was struck with one party absolutely determined to prevent the very thing they were supposed to be negotiating from happening at all = nothing was worked out .

If you run a business and you just lost half your customers overnight what will you do with your surplus stock ? what if its perishable ? you will sell it cheaper because you have to , and that won't replace the revenue lost .

So now and only now on both sides of the argument amidst crashing global economies will everyone start seeking solutions .

Who will choose to go bankrupt in order to show support for some half arsed idea of political ideology - nobody thats who .

Money makes the world go round and it won't take 5 years to correct the flow .

Aye blame where blame is due and our very own Europhiles did more than anyone else to promote the denial , but hey ho blame provides no solutions .

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

You're quite right there is no value in apportioning blame at this point. We're beyond that stage.

However, to begin rectify the situation, those in power must admit that some mistakes were made. I doubt that that is going to happen. There is simply too much hubris and rhetoric from the politicians - on both sides.

All we see is both sides taking a more entrenched position. Hopefully in a few years things will settle down and trading will get back to "normal" levels.

The recent vaccine shambles has shown that the EU is more than capable of it own cock-ups.

It's already happening "the UK might help the EU with vaccines" .

That's not an honourable statement for the greater good of everyone because the world doesn't work that way , instead its an opening for a discussion based on "what's in it for us"

There are no one sided solutions , money rules and the choices is either we both lose or we come to some arrangement , the rhetoric is just grandstanding bullshit .

Impressed to hear my 80+ year old pool playing drinking buddy was covid vaccinated today despite having been more or less housebound with breathing problems for over two years in a council bungalow living on basic pension which is to say well done on a fair and impartial rollout :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back