Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad

Surfy

Here are my favorite top 10 list of apps for travelling overland abroad.

Some of these apps are very useful because they offer access also while offline, others are helpful because they give you more out of a bad internet connection, or to stay in contact with your family and friends.

Like a Wifi-Scanner who shows you where you can get internet access, or an app who compress any internet traffic.

I`m pretty shure that there are apps on this list you didnt know or functions of known apps who are new to you.

iOS-Apps-die-wichtigsten-apps-fuer-reisende-overlander-im-4x4.jpg

Since I currently mostly use iOS devices (iPad, iPhone), this top list is done for these iOS based devides. But you should be able to find similar functionality too on Android or Windows based phones or tablets.

Here is the article:

4x4tripping: The 10 most important apps for Overlanders

Since it is expensive to try out many apps arround travelling, i think these lists are helpful for other travellers.

So if you think that you know an App who should be named there too- please write a comment or post here your suggestions.

Surfy

Another one that we've found fantastic is O2's TuGo's service; use wi-fi and your O2 contract minutes to make calls at standard UK rates.

Also Viber is a good alternative to Skype, as it uses the wifi network and your existing number. Had it on our Blackberry's and on iOS.

Hope that helps,

Ed

Here are my favorite top 10 list of apps for travelling overland abroad....
Surfy, in your review of the MotionX GPS HD app, you say "You can download the satellite and hybrid view of Bing, Google and Ovi."

Are you sure? I can only seem to be able to download Road or Terrain..... but no satellite imagery :think:

Surfy, in your review of the MotionX GPS HD app, you say "You can download the satellite and hybrid view of Bing, Google and Ovi."

Are you sure? I can only seem to be able to download Road or Terrain..... but no satellite imagery :think:

It is possible, you had to buy the In-APP functionality custom maps for arround 4-5 USD: http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/10/offroad-navigation-mit-motionx-custom.html

Unfortunately i had not yet translated this article to english, but you will find an translate button on the right side.

Surfy

Thanks Surfy, in App purchase made and now seems to be working fine.... most useful

Back