Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The trip to Clives House

This is what remains of my old school after two 14-year-old girls torched it earlier this month and bragged about it on Snapchat. That’s social interaction, right?

40D801C1-C818-4CC1-BD99-863CCEE43712.jpeg

I was a bit worried that Ana wouldn’t take to Lizzie because she was 2 years younger, but they hit it off straight away.

Ana’s always complained that she doesn’t have a brother or sister, so I think Lizzie instantly became the sister she never had, for the few days she was here.

Ana was quite upset when Lizzie had to leave.

I was a bit worried that Ana wouldn’t take to Lizzie because she was 2 years younger, but they hit it off straight away.

Ana’s always complained that she doesn’t have a brother or sister, so I think Lizzie instantly became the sister she never had, for the few days she was here.

Ana was quite upset when Lizzie had to leave.
I think it was mutual, another excuse for a repeat

Just do it.
In my 30 years of nursing I have never heard anyone on their death bed say 'I wish I'd spent less time with my kids'!

One day my daughter said to me 'Daddy, do you remember when we played snakes and ladders, I really enjoyed that'. It was months previously and I hadn't been able to spend any time with her since.

Thats what did it for me, I missed so much of my daughter's growing up because I was working all the hours God sends, and I just didn't want to do it anymore. That was 2 years ago, and we were trapped in that cycle of debt and work, then our landlord told us he wanted his house back and we couldn't afford to move and we just thought 'fuck it, why not!'

It's not ideal, we don't have any money and I still have to do some work, but fortunately I can dip in and out of that, but we can at least now spend a few quality months together over the next 12 months.

It is also a chance for us to seriously review our lives and the way we want to go in the future

good on yer, and all the best with it all. as a side note there are some good value right hand drive u1300s on ebay at the moment.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
good on yer, and all the best with it all.
:text-+1:
I have to say I think you are doing something really special and formative for yourselves and your daughter. The fact that circumstance has steered you this way and you’ve taken the opportunity, it is clearly what you should be doing at this time. I admire and envy you in equal amounts as I’m so rooted and surrounded by possessions, work and family that keep me here when I regularly watch ‘Vanlife’ vlogs on YouTube. That, I think, is about as close as I’m likely to get to going travelling for anything more than a month myself.

A (4x4) sprinter seems to be the vehicle of choice for conversion, as you’re not in the states where school busses are a good platform. Ex utilities or forces or services is probably the way to go as they will be well maintained. LWB or MWB high roof gives most room and convertibility. Or there’s the Delica for something already a camper but smaller and still pretty capable if on a tight budget. Ambulances are sold off pretty cheaply and are sprinter based but aren’t 4x4, weigh 5 tonnes and still look like ambulances whatever is done to them but would be roomy inside.

The trip to Clives House seems to have hit a diversion.

The trip to Clives House seems to have hit a diversion.

I’m not so sure Chas, the thread title was always a bit of a misnomer to me, should have been more like ‘Our bid to freedom and a year on the road’ or such like.

Still, as our place was one of their earlier stops, we were well blessed with Andy’s clan’s visit. :lol::thumbup:

I know. Bit too much chequer plate.
Very cool nonetheless. I used to own and really be into my Volvos for similar reasons to why I now drive a Toyota. I've always found it surprising and a real shame that they never produced a proper 4x4 (not SUV) for the civilian market given the breadth of their output and domestic demographic. Just imagine a boxy Swedish 70 or 80 series equivalent made for mining and hunting.

Very cool nonetheless. I used to own and really be into my Volvos for similar reasons to why I now drive a Toyota. I've always found it surprising and a real shame that they never produced a proper 4x4 (not SUV) for the civilian market given the breadth of their output and domestic demographic. Just imagine a boxy Swedish 70 or 80 series equivalent made for mining and hunting.

‘The most boring 4x4 by far’ :tearsofjoy:

Back