Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thinking About Buying This

Yes, that's a 150 series Landcruiser, called a "Prado" in most markets but oddly not in the UK.

The 200 series is a much bigger beast

yeah the 150 they made everything a little bigger and the engine a little smaller underlining the fact that i will never buy a newer cruiser :icon-rolleyes:

This being my first 4x4 purchase in Europe, I need to get this right. While I currently own an Audi Q5 with the 2.0l engine (which is just fine in this car) my concern has been an increase in size combined with the smaller engine. I was excited about the new Defender but my German wife is suspect about reliability of the brand.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What do you mainly intend to use if for? i.e. Overlanding, off-roading, daily driver?

(Sorry if you've already explained this elsewhere on the forum).

Have a look at the US based GXOR group for info. The 150 is sold as a lexus in the states and has a mass e following.

The states doesn't get the diesel engine but it'll give you an idea of how capable the platform is. The 150 is present in huge numbers in North Africa as well

We live in the Alpujarras (Southern side of the Spanish Sierra Nevada mountain range). Nothing too challenging but when it snows and rains it can be. There's lots of mountain tracks and my wife is very interested in the whole overlanding stuff.
From what I'm seeing this Prado shares more characteristics with the Hilux on a larger platform. The Hilux is also on our radar but like the Prado, it doesn't have an updated infotainment system or auto terrain modes. Those features are not so important to me but I have to at least show some interests in them. Here in Spain it seems my choices are:
Land Cruiser Prado
Land Rover Defender
Hilux
Navara
Ford Ranger
We would prefer to go with an SUV but not married to it.

Hi John,

Whereabouts in the Sierra Nevada do you live? We are in Ugijar. I cannot comment on the newer models but can perhaps offer some information about modifying vehicles in Spain.

Spain is not like the States in that every modification will require an engineer's report and all the parts used will need to have EU certification (or be OEM for that model) and a plate with that number shown. It can be a very long and expensive process.
An example would be that if you wanted to put bigger wheels and tyres on then you would need approval, an engineer's report and the vehicle's fishe technica amended, probably in the order of another 300-400 euros. Winch, forget it unless you live on a cortijo. Snorkel? Another 3-400 euros for the paperwork....

But there are 4x4 dealers who can undertake the modifications plus paperwork... one in Albunol and another in Aguilas and undoubtedly there are more around.

But there are ways... a modified vehicle from another European country that has approval paperwork can be registered, it still costs but is possible and is certainly a cheaper way to go.

Obviously this all sounds a bit negative but there are ways round every problem. I am going to Aguilas this weekend so will try to have a conversation with the 4x4 shop there.

With reference to the new Defender - your wife sounds like a very sensible lady!!!! Apparently it has 85 ECUs fitted and if one goes down and you are stuck on some track half way up a mountain, the recovery truck is not going to come for you.

Get a couple of the Spanish 4x4 magazines and they may contain suitable vehicles in the classifieds - I think there is one dedicated to Toyota although I haven't seen it for a while...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Just seen you last post... 150s and 200s are available - there are a couple in our town although they are not modified.

Another thing to be aware of around here (seeing as we both live in the same valley, even if it is 200 kms long) is that you cannot take any motorised vehicle into the national parks other than on tarmac/designated roads. But we off road in the Tabernas desert and in Gorafe, etc. The Natural Parks are open to all.

Regards,

Rodger

For bells and whistles i'd imagine the 200 has it all but if you do wind up in need of rescue i would not be surprised at all if a 20+ year old Toyota was sent .

Land Cruiser Prado
Land Rover Defender
Hilux
Navara
Ford Ranger

If you can find a newer 70 series it should take you far and beyond where all the above are left abandoned in a ditch .

Man, that's some great info you laid down. Never thought there was so much involved with modifying a vehicle. In the states you just do it and forget it. That's gonna surprise the wife!
Btw, we live in the campo near Pampaneira.

Keep the sensible German SUV and get a Jimny for fun?

Someone somewhere suggested that the only way for a private individual to buy a new car through Toyota Gibraltar is if you strike a deal on the local golf course.

From what I've heard Toyota Gib will only sell to Governments, NGO's or Charities due to restrictions imposed by Toyota

Pampaneira is not far from Ugijar.....

Toyota Gib do have restrictions but I have had correspondence with a couple of the guys there, so we could ask some questions.

More than happy to walk you through the system here as I know it and help where we can.

Regards,

Rodger

It's been some time since we passed through Ugijar. I'm going to give this some more thought. Is that your ride in your avatar?

Back