Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This may save you £100,s for your 4x4

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
After searching YouTube I came across this clip by accident.
Found it very interesting as I never new about it at all and surprised how much damage it can cause.
I watched the clip and many others and went to see If I had one on my 120 and yes I do and probably all 4x4,s do.
I checked my vent valve and low and behold it was blocked.
I used a 14mm socket to remove the nut and to my surprise came off pretty easily
On the 120 it is located on the drivers side of the rear diff.
I made more room for my self by removing the spare wheel as never used ramps or stands just crawled under and access was easy.
Removed the bolt and went to work releasing the the shredder valve cover movement so it could breath again and replaced.
There are many members out there that no about this valve and just like me many don't have any idea.
10min job is all it took me and I'm no machanic. Hope this helps landcruiser owners and save a lot of headaches if it bursts your rubber seals

Milner off road selling this if anybody needs a Toyota oem part.
Screenshot_20200920_133856_com.android.chrome.jpg

Thanks Tony, good tip. Will check mine, but probably worth buying one and replace anyway. Even with the p&p, around £3 min charge from memory, a tenner well spent !! Thanks.

Not a problem just helpful information shared goes along way and gives people confidence to do little jobs like that instead of paying a machanic...
Well I was gonna change my rear diff oil so bought the new sump plug and washer and new diff valve. Came to £16.00.
Get my oil else we're as better deal I think. :greetings-wavingye::greetings-wavingbl:

I keep meaning to extend my rear diff breather up into the cabin behind the rear side panel. I extended the front diff and gearbox breathers up onto the bulkhead some time ago. The OEM breathers seem to get blocked or seize up easily.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just been under mine, found it passenger side and seized just lìke the vid. Freed off same as, but will renew anyway. The vent that needs to move feels all wobbly now when it turns and moves up and down.
Given the screw in part a first soak in plus gas ready.

Just been under mine, found it passenger side and seized just lìke the vid. Freed off same as, but will renew anyway. The vent that needs to move feels all wobbly now when it turns and moves up and down.
Given the screw in part a first soak in plus gas ready.

You will be good to go now for a while anyway.
People been doing the relocation of the vent into the engine bay and seems OK just if it has worked on my car for 17 yrs why move..

I have always checked mine swivels when I twist it , my rear diff breather is on the passenger side , and the front diff breather is in the engine bay at the passenger side low side to the fuse box if I can remember , I always make sure that swivels when I twist is .

Just been having a look at my rear diff breather - it was pretty solid. After spraying with some penetrating fluid, I've got the top "thimble" part to move about - it swivels and turns freely now.

Is that it? Or do I need to remove it completely to properly free it up?

Happy to replace it for a new one but where it is and with other pipes and stuff in the area, getting access for a spanner or socket is a b*tch.

Chad, after freeing off, mine is the same as yours. In anticipation of it being goosed, I acted on Tony's info and bought a new one, but old is rusted in there solid. I keep dosing it with plus gas in the hope it will eventually unscrew. Cant get heat on it because of pipework close, and If it snaps off I would say, "oh dear".
Decided to leave for now as 'valve' is free, so in that respect, all good. Front is clean and free as it doesn't get shyte sprayed over it from road.

If the thimble bit moves freely means it will allow any air pressure to escape , if you want to be sure make sure the thimble bit can slightly move up and down when you lift it as you twist it , it may look rusted in but with a 14mm fairly deep six point socket (sixpoint sockets and spanners are a lot less likely to round off nuts and bolts that are very tight ) , I thought mine which was not turning and stuck fast was blocked I used some pliers gently turning the thimble part until it was turning and allowing up and down movement and bits of dirt came out allowing it to move freely , as I wasn't sure if it was blocked inside I removed it with a fairly deep 14mm six point socket , and it unscrewed very easily to my surprise , after looking at it and blowing through it is a simple hollow bolt with the thimble lid to stop dirt getting in to the axle . so if the thimble bit moves freely the breather is fine and no need to change it .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, will leave as is - as you say, last thing I need is it shearing off!!
Yeah ask me how I know about it. Problem is the old ones came out fine but the new milners extended breather kits I put on my 80 last week one of them sheared off in the front axle. That was much fun in the rain. Eventually hammered a big flat screwdriver in and got just enough bite to extract it. Basically I guess I'm saying just be gentle when removing and replacing with new items too. Not stoked with the quality of the milners extended kits to be honest. Fittings seem poor quality metal. Just my penny's (well 30 odd quid delivered) worth.

Just been having a look at my rear diff breather - it was pretty solid. After spraying with some penetrating fluid, I've got the top "thimble" part to move about - it swivels and turns freely now.

Is that it? Or do I need to remove it completely to properly free it up?

Happy to replace it for a new one but where it is and with other pipes and stuff in the area, getting access for a spanner or socket is a b*tch.

Chadr
If you have managed to free up you diff vent valve then result.
A replacement is only a few pounds and its upto you as i freed mine up after removing it totally from the diff.
This part has been on many cars for many years now and many diffs still working perfectly.
Only for me watching a clip on YouTube by accident i and many other members would be none off the wiser.
I investigated mine just out of sheer couriosity and piece of mind for my car and myself as to save me money and prolong my parts lifespan
Ps i never replaced mine just cleaned it up so its free to do its job.

Hopefully this will answer your question

I have always checked mine swivels when I twist it , my rear diff breather is on the passenger side , and the front diff breather is in the engine bay at the passenger side low side to the fuse box if I can remember , I always make sure that swivels when I twist is .

Sorry for my incorrect information as i said the vent valve was on the drivers side its actually on the passenger (my bad).

thats normal for us owners of land rover, we have 5 breather pipes we just made them longer so we can go into deep water

kit

Back