Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This road is ideal for drunk drivers......

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england

WTF were they thinking?

Question is, does it work?

Maybe people drive on it like a race track, so if they put in racing lines, they'll all miss each other!

I've never seen anything like that. Not even in Milton Keynes.

Apparently it's real - the reasoning being that heavy vehicles going uphill can navigate the bends on the outside, making it a little easier. Same system is used in and around the Himalayas (apparently).

Maybe not tourist friendly, but the concept of it should work well with the locals.

With a strictly enforced speed limit (which is pretty much self governing) it makes perfect sense obviously designed to prevent long distance heavy artic drivers from getting wedged and causing jams .

I'm willing to bet there has never been an accident on that road since the system was introduced :wtf: tends to make everyone slow down and pay attention :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I reckon you could be right there Shayne. It makes perfect sense to have big trucks taking the bends on the outside to save traffic chaos.

I have seen, and driven on similar, Zouerat in Mauritania!

There is some sense in the nonsense, not only do the larger radius curves make it easier for HGVs to navigate, but the climbing gradients on the outside curves are probably 1/3 of those on the inside.

I remember as a young teenager cyclist, climbing the 1:4 up to the castle at Harlech (Wales), where the only way to do it was by riding on the outside of each curve, meaning periodically switching to the right hand side of the road.

The extreme inside of the curves was close to vertical on that cenreline extreme gradient of 1:4.

Nice vid though, it looks mental :lol:

Back