Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

those headlights the aussies have..

Also, standard Toyota parts applied - the small rectangular lights were used in a lot of things, so nearly every small parts place has replacement sealed (or semi sealed) beam units.

For example, my preferred parts shop has in stock spare semi sealed headlights for anything that runs 7x4" units.

What are sealed and semi sealed beam units ed?

What are sealed and semi sealed beam units ed?

Sealed Beams were very much the norm for the American market in the 1970s and 80s, and as such they were commonly used elsewhere.

Narva here in Aus do a range of drop in replacements for the lights, so you can change the bulb rather than the whole unit.

Semi sealed refer (I think) to the normal glass/plastic lens, reflector and bulb assembly that we are used to - with the lens sealed to the reflector (unlike my old Volvo that had a lens separate to the reflector)

Wiring diagram to install headlight upgrade 60 or 80 series.gif
They may be functional for replacement when damaged (we do have a lot of gravel roads and wildlife here) but as a light they leave a lot to be desired. There is a common 'joke' that you would be upgrading if you bought a pair of candles! It isn't far from the truth, and is compounded by the fact that Mr Toyota was a little cheap with the wiring he installed, it is very light duty, and upgrading by installing more powerful globes (if you have semi-sealed housings) is fraught with danger as melted wires are a great possibility. LED upgrades are becoming common (I have them and they are great) because they don't draw much current and don't melt wiring, BUT you have to mess around when installing most LED lights (older ones especially) because of Toyota's negatively switched headlight system where the polarity is switched when you 'dip' or 'raise' your headlights, and LEDs are polarity specific. Some of the newer lights have smart electronics built in which can compensate for polarity, but the older ones don't.
20150317_102639.jpg
20150317_102646.jpg

really like the look of yours ctiley, where did you get them??

really like the look of yours ctiley, where did you get them??
I had a business importing LEDs and HIDs from China and these are some of those I used to sell. I don't have any headlights left. If you do buy some, make sure they have the EU standards mark (CE) on them because Australia accepts the European Union's standards to comply with ADR because we don't have a specific standard of our own. It just saves arguments with recalcitrant, know-all coppers. CE = Certificate European.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought CE means chineseium engineered, eg. crap!

But there is a difference between E marked lights, and CE marking.

Cheers josh.

hey billy, are they a direct replacement?

Over here, the GX and the VX came with those lights (meaning all of them)...if you want to change them, be sure to order the side markers as they are different...the lights go on like this...the two outside for normal driving and all four on for high beam...also, it doesn't matter if it is a right or left hand drive...

IMG_20141201_145821.jpg

Back