Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing control valve code 1220

10fp

Country Flag
australia
Cannot get rid of code
the Story is after an oil change the car had No power , guys found damaged terminals/connecter at TCV and repaired but still no power and has code
hav fitted new pump and injectors and filter etc Still code comes up when give it a rev ( engine Load and has no Power
Scan tool shows pump timing on 42-44 at all times . checked other cars and they run only 13.6-20 ca
had TCV straight to earth which retarted timing and made smoke out exhaust
Cannot find a ECU to try for this 04 manual, checked ecu pin voltages as per manual and all good

Anyone Else hav Experiance like this

thanks in advance Dave

Hi Dave, pop on over to the 'introduce yourself' section and tell us a bit about you and your truck, say 'Hi' that sort of thing. This is a great, friendly forum with lots of really helpful guys. Once you've introduced yourself I expect someone will be along to help you. [emoji4] And once you've got to 15 posts, it would be great to see some photos, we love photos on here.

For my part, it sounds like a wrench may have been used to loosen the oil filter and crushed the wiring against the block. This has most probably blown the output driver component in the ECU.

I'll have a look and see where I got an ECU tested and repaired while you do your intro. [emoji6]

Hi Dave,

Did you ever find the cause/fix for this?
I've recently developed the same fault. Engine light comes on and engine loses power. Also getting the 1220 code for the TCV.

Cheers,

Lee

I think Dave has gone, Lee, as he doesn’t show with an @ in front of his name. Sounds like he threw a lot of money at this in what looks like the wrong direction.
There is a fix for connectors on the pump. I’ll try and find a link for you. Don’t know if it’s related but it might help.

Here it is, different code though but might be a similar issue.
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/forums/toyta_landcruiser_100_series/

Hi StarCruiser,

The link just takes me the top of the 100 series forum.

I've had a look at my injection pump to try and find anything obvious. It looks like someone has been in there previously and fitted a spill valve from another vehicle and the wires inline crimped. The wires on this one comes straight out the top of the spill valve whereas other pics I've seen the spill valve has a plug on top. Will take a pic in the morning.

Hoping this is the issue. Do you have a part number for a new spill valve or an alternative like the one fitted?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here's the offending article

image.jpeg

yes, I did think that might have been the post. I had read his a few others with similar symptoms. Even though it's not right, I was quite happy to see the crimp wires. At least it gives me a starting place and the possible cause.

Definitely an issue with that harness. Gave them a wiggle at idle and engine starts running a bit rough. Will have to investigate further and put in some decent crimps or solder the wires.

Good ol wiggle test. :thumbup: Looks like you’re on the trail anyway. I’d start with those crimps that have no place in a wet environment. The wire tail has a nasty kink in it at the valve. That may also be a source of a break. Sealed connectors available on eBay.

I have this too, so far I have had the wire to the TCV replaced but its still buggered....Seems its going to eb an expensive fix, with anyting from injectors to ECU thrown out there....
anyone found an actual fix?

Well mine is always at 40 degrees but i have no code anymore, i wish this bloke was still around to tell me what fixed it as the workshop is about to change my pump as they believe the steinbauer chip destroyed to pump ROM. So heres to that.....

Hi guys I’ve literally just experience this this evening my car had a uni chip on it and I’ve now unplugged it and the faults now gone away but I’ve also with the wiring down on that valve so now I’m a bit unsure as to which one has cured the problem I have seen videos of a guy in Russia who shows you the inside of the ECU with a dry soldered joint with exactly this problem but I’ve also seen another thread on the Internet about a guy with broken wiring or a poor connection directly into the valve

Well mine is always at 40 degrees but i have no code anymore, i wish this bloke was still around to tell me what fixed it as the workshop is about to change my pump as they believe the steinbauer chip destroyed to pump ROM. So heres to that.....
Hold your horses on that one - the ROM can be replaced on its own.

I reckon you guys need to send Mick Wallin of 1hdfte.com.au a message - he’s an absolute guru on these ECUs and is constantly pulling them apart and fiddling with them. I know the pre 02 FTEs had a known fault with TCV wiring and I’ve fixed a couple of HDJ79 ones with this issue but it was always just the plug. Mick is the man

Thanks mate iv had a great success rate on all ecu faults including tcv load bias resistors and tcv mosfet they are probably the easiest to repair compared to othe faults in late type ecus.

Thanks mate iv had a great success rate on all ecu faults including tcv load bias resistors and tcv mosfet they are probably the easiest to repair compared to othe faults in late type ecus.
Ah ha, I strongly suspect you are the current leading authority world wide in FTE control. I’m guessing you’re referring to ECU born faults?

Yes I certainly are repairing lot of fte ecus world wide nearly one a day. And do early and late immobiliser deletes so run full standalone. 1hdfte.com.au

Back