Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To buy or not to buy

Nico

Country Flag
united_states
Hey all,

Hoping to become a proud new owner of a 1984 BJ40. I have been in communication with a fellow from CO that is selling what looks to be an unmolested cruiser from Portugal. My plans with this truck are to make it my daily driver in the PNW as well as truck to get me in and around trails.

I was hoping that I could get some more information as what I should expect from a 33 year old cruiser and what to look for when I go to inspect the vehicle, as-well-as what questions I should be asking.

Thanks,

Nico

Hi Nico,

Welcome to the forum.
1984 was very near the end of the production of the 40 series so benefits from the years of improvements but there are still numerous things to look out for and I'll attempt to give you some pointers.
The VIN number can be entered into www.toyodiy.com and that will give you the background and original specification.
The odometer does not give 100,000 so look at the paperwork to get an idea of how many times it has been round.
It should be a 3B engine - 4 pot diesel with (?) 5 speed box. 3Bs can be turbo'd but is a strong reliable engine that will just keep going. 'B' designation is for diesel & 'F' is petrol.
As with all 40s body rust is the main problem so carefully check: front wings under the support bars, front valance, side panels behind steps, bottoms of the doors, windscreen surround, rear body cross member and rear valance plus the rear wings where they join with the rear wheel arches and if it is a hardtop check the HT rail all round. The roof is fibreglass.
Mechanically they are straight forward but look for leaks, condition of brakelines and the colour of the fluids.
The body panels are thick metal and most can be repaired if they have suffered the ravages of time but certain panels are getting hard to find if they are beyond repair - windscreen surrounds.
If it is sound and you get it , it is worth spending time protecting the chassis and bodywork - I use POR-15 - messy but worth the effort.
One of the best sources of spares is www.sor.com They are in LA and their catalogue is very informative.
Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on and if you get it, we will want photos - we like photos!!

Regards,
Rodger

Sorry you also asked what you should expect from it...
Old style handling - leaf springs all round - so quite bouncy. Not fast but will go most places - albeit fairly slowly and it will get you back.
They are tough and uncompromising and brilliant.

Regards,
Rodger

Rodger, thanks for the info. As far as I know, this cruiser is a 4 speed with most likely a 'B' engine. The pictures show what appears to be a cherry truck and the sound of the engine is strong in the video. I have been slow on the draw with the purchase due to wanting to verify everything, learn as much as possible, and I continue to question if a 33 year old truck makes sense as a daily driver. I do know that this machine would be a blast to drive, would get me in and out of wherever my travels and adventures may take me, last forever and hopefully be an investment as-well-as a truck I can pass-down some day.

My other option is going with a used 2018 Subaru Crosstrek with the 6 speed manual. I know, completely different vehicles; however, any added input would be appreciated. I currently drive a 2003 6spd Honda accord. Although quick and fun to drive, it is on its way out and does not suit my lifestyle.

My concerns with this BJ40 are constant repairs that will eventually bleed me dry. I wanted to get away from modern cars and their computers and make a return to the machine that can run forever with the right ear, knowledge and knowhow.

I attached some photos and could use another set of eyes...welcoming to any thoughts or concerns.

Best,

Nico

00808_iowneacxzKi_1200x900.jpg

01414_lbhM0VSNd7E_1200x900.jpg
00E0E_lTtQ2vs4NUi_1200x900.jpg
00w0w_hRyKnDQ6x3o_1200x900.jpg
00808_fYG7AzvwBxK_1200x900.jpg
00O0O_apcnXo17CbM_1200x900.jpg
00r0r_jZi100zmAu5_1200x900.jpg
00L0L_aTNM687wDMA_1200x900.jpg
00E0E_4dh1tmC7jrk_1200x900.jpg

Looks like a gem. Should have front disk brakes which is a bug improvement on drums all round. Cant imagine passing it for a subaru

Nico, if it's what you want, and it sounds like it is, get it bought! It's a Landcruiser so if it's maintained it'll not let you down. I would be very much surprised if you don't grin from ear to ear driving something so individual and rare.

Anyone can have a Subaru. But will it put a smile on your face?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nico, if it's what you want, and it sounds like it is, get it bought! It's a Landcruiser so if it's maintained it'll not let you down. I would be very much surprised if you don't grin from ear to ear driving something so individual and rare.

Anyone can have a Subaru. But will it put a smile on your face?

It does sound great and is already making me grin.

I have a slight concern though, for when I punch in the VIN I cannot find any info.

This is from the seller:
"The VIN is 1DC0003592ZZ, which a Colorado VIN assigned because this BJ was imported from Portugal."

Is this accurate?

Could anyone also answer what the typical maintenance of this age cruiser?

Thanks all.

Nico,

That looks amazing.
You will not be struggling with large maintenance costs - they just need TLC. And when the Subaru has been re-cycled you will still be smiling every time you drive the 40 series.
I've had mine for 15 years - it has been my only car for the last 7 years and last year I did a 5000 mile round trip to the UK from Spain and back and the only fault was a fuse for the headlights. My truck regularly goes off road both in UK and Spain and I would not change it for anything.
That is an import VIN not a Toyota one - the owner should have the import paperwork with the original VIN on it - it should start = BJ40-------. Look on the front right chassis leg just behind the bumper - VIN should be stamped there.
Maintenance costs? I change oils regularly - twice a year, also grease before going off road so that means at least every 2 months -way shorter than the recommended- for my annual test this year I needed a new master cylinder and a draglink - cost $130 (equivalent). Can't remember the last time I changed a bulb. And so on. If you are prepared to do your own servicing then it is going to be far cheaper than maintaining a modern car that is out of warranty.
IMO no contest - I spent years looking for mine and have never regretted a moment - they are fun and that one looks to be in excellent condition but I'd still POR the underside.
These trucks were built to last .... and they do.

Regards,
Rodger

Be interesting to see some pics of what it looks like underneath.

Be interesting to see some pics of what it looks like underneath.
I thought the same. If it's anything like the top side and it's the right money I think you should just buy it before somebody else does. Mechanical bits can be fixed, bodywork is less straightforward but doable.

I was able to get some photos of the undercarriage. Doe any of this concern you?

1984 BJ40 #1 (2).jpg
1984 BJ40 #15.jpg
1984 BJ40 #16.jpg
1984 BJ40 #17.jpg
1984 BJ40 #23.jpg

Begging for some clean oil spray under there, if you don’t fancy doing a fully blown “protection” job.

It’s a beauty, so damned cute... :thumbup:

Love it...

That looks amazing underneath. We see some horrors here in the UK, none of that would bother me. Either oil or Krown and you will do it no harm.
Have you bought it yet?!

Looks very solid. The surface rust looksyotslly inconsequential and should be easy to manage

I think most cars at a year old look worse than that! Looks mint to me

Hi Nico,

Firstly the original VIN number is visible on the chassis - although having blown up the photo I still cannot read it.
It looks good underneath - nothing that a few hours underneath with a wire brush wouldn't solve and then POR-15 the chassis. The rubber covers for the handbrake (on the back of the drums) are missing and the drag link looks like it needs replacing.
Overall it just needs TLC - and some elbow grease. Check the upright section of the rear cross-member. It looks like it has had a step attached for some years and that hole is repairable providing the vertical section is sound.
If the price is right for you - get it

Hope that helps. It looks to be in far better condition than mine was when I bought it.

regards,

Rodger

Firstly the original VIN number is visible on the chassis - although having blown up the photo I still cannot read it.

It certainly starts with BJ40 but without just guessing, I can't read the rest either. :think:

Hi Nico,

According to the VIN it is a BJ40LV-KC. Built in September 1983 as LHD, 3000cc B engine , 4 speed without roll bar. So it looks to be very original.

With the draglink looking a little tired, it is worth checking the bearing in the centre arm assembly - it is situated just behind the front bumper. The bearings do wear but (I think) Spectre (sor) do a brass bearing set up. They also do the original hub caps as the wheels look to be original split rims although the tabs appear to have been removed.

Regards,
Rodger

Before I joined this group all I knew about LC's was that they were reliable,confortable and incredibly capable and I wanted another one but now having become more interested in the history and capabitity of these vehicles the bit of steel and rubber on my drive mean far more to me.
So why I am I rambling, because the post and the pictures of such a stunning car has taken my interest to another level.That BJ40 to me is just beautiful and I especially love the curved glass rear windows and the barn doors.

Back