Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To buy or not to buy

Hi Nico,

According to the VIN it is a BJ40LV-KC. Built in September 1983 as LHD, 3000cc B engine , 4 speed without roll bar. So it looks to be very original.

With the draglink looking a little tired, it is worth checking the bearing in the centre arm assembly - it is situated just behind the front bumper. The bearings do wear but (I think) Spectre (sor) do a brass bearing set up. They also do the original hub caps as the wheels look to be original split rims although the tabs appear to have been removed.

Regards,
Rodger

Hey Rodger,

Thank you for the comments. I noticed the draglink as well. I will be sure to inspect that and ask the owner if he has had any issues with it. Any idea how difficult it would be to instal a new one? From what I was told and can tell, the wheels are original; not sure what happened to the tabs though. With a wire brush clean up and undercarriage coating plus a fresh set of caps, she sure would be looking good.

I have reviewed all the paperwork with this cruiser and everything checks out in my research and what you all have stated. I appreciate the comments and help. Just curious though, where do any of you feel the price point should be at?

Hi and welcome that is a cool looking cruiser love the old 40s from Tony.

Hi Nico,

Changing a draglink isn't difficult but you will need a ball joint splitter and some determination (big hammer). Before removing it from the bar count the threads and insert the new one so the same number are showing.

How much???? In the US fully restored trucks seem to need deep pockets but this one isn't fully restored. I have no idea what it would cost - prices vary so much even in Europe. I suggest a session looking at the ads on the net or Hemmings, etc and look for trucks in a similar condition (even if they are FJ40s) and that should give you an feel for whether the seller is asking a fair and reasonable price. That's probably not the answer you were looking for but I have little or no knowledge of the US prices.

Regards,
Rodger

The answer Nico is what the buyer is happy to spend on it. Again, not the answer you were looking for but as Rodger says, do a little homework and don't be too rigid. Haggle, but not too much. If you don't, you both will be unhappy, why? Because after the deal you will think you could have got it for less and the buyer will think he could have got more for it.

Good luck and please tell us you've bought it, soon!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
image.jpg
Maybe as a reference, I payed 8500 € for my bj46 a few years ago.
It has disk brakes in the front, a pto winch but no power steering.
This was in Belgium.

Back