Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To flush, or not to flush, that is the question....

wobbly

Garage
Prior to swapping the oil, I am thinking of adding a flushing oil to the engine - the old stuff is pretty gloopy, if it doesnt all come out its going to contaminate the new stuff.

Am going with Valvoline MaxLife 10w40 as a replacement, and oil change every 6 months rather than when the light comes on.....spent so much time worrying about overheating I forgot the basics!

Any thoughts on whether flushing is worth it?

Pete

I don't bother with flushing

If the service history is unknown I change the oil and filters at more regular intervals for the first couple

One thing to check if you do decide to use a flushing agent is you can undo the sump plug first...... Had to visit a mate with my oil sucker upper after he found he had a sump plug with a damaged bolt head :lol:

I would spend the money on an extra oil change instead, some of the nasties are actually good for a diesel.

Fresh oil will quickly change colour to black. It's all down to various contaminants.

So first it's black, then dark black and then black black---oh sod it, just change it at 3,000 miles, and the filter of course.

Been doing that for 120,000 miles, still doesn't burn oil and pressure hasn't moved, well OK, that's a bit of a fib, it went from 79 psi to 80 but I'm not bragging about it.

Roger

Back