Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tool Recomendations

Ryobi tools I've come across in the past have been very good for their price. I have the 3 speed on my DeWalt and it is very useful. Saves overtightening when replacing stuff. I couldn't see what size square it is.

We've just had a Bunnings open near us, I'm very impressed with their tool department. Talk about kid in a sweet shop. :icon-biggrin:

Deep impact 6 sided sockets are the best because they dont round stuff off so easily, they are easier to pull off the gun and find on the floor/in your toolbox, and the extra depth means you can undo and do up fittings with a lot of thread poking through the nut!

Deep impact 6 sided sockets are the best because they dont round stuff off so easily, they are easier to pull off the gun and find on the floor/in your toolbox, and the extra depth means you can undo and do up fittings with a lot of thread poking through the nut!
+1
There much better than the 12 point sockets for heavy work.

The biggest difference I've found with good quality screwdrivers (Wera) is the fit in screwheads , especially damaged ones.I've used Wera diamond coated bits for carpentry for years & well worth the difference.Recently I had a Phillips screw , on a number plate light well & truly stuck so I waited till I was in town & my garage man got it loose in an instant , with a Facom screwdriver that lives in his pocket.But for home use I think any half decent (Bacho , wera etc) spanners or sockets will do.

It's horses for courses really. If you're a mech then, it's worth buying the snap-on gear, if a builder, then estwing hammers and marshalltown trowels are good choices.

I'm neither, so have mid range versions of most tools for my workshop. Halford's pro socket set served me well restoring tractors. Dewalt cordless drill does most jobs. Ryobi corded tools (drill,jigsaw,sander) are working well.

Only thing I insist on is my leatherman charge,and record vice..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Best tool set i ever bought was when i was about 14 , it was in a bargain pound shop and cost maybe £50 which was about what i earned a week and i had to pay £30 weekly rent so yes it stretched my budget .

It was a fake leather briefcase , very small compared to anything I've found since but what made it so great is it had all the sockets , spanners , pliers , screwdrivers you could possibly need for the majority of work i did on scores of motorbikes .

It was still the mainstay of all my tools when i abandoned everything at 27 , most of the contents had been broken and replaced with better quality but i would happily pay £100 today just to have that empty case again .

So near and yet so far

upload_2018-1-1_20-4-19.jpeg

Got a fair mixture of hand tools and in no particular order Facom Gedore Stahlwille Snap on Seally Clarke Dowidat Draper Wera CK Unior Britool the Draper is a socketset thats over 35yrs old the Gedore Dowidat Snap On Stahlwille used for commercial breakdown and recovery the rest has been aquired over the years but have been surprised by the Screwfix Forgesteel flex ratchet spanners Most of the above all come with yer Lifetime warranty cept the ratchets buy the best you can afford and they should serve you well

Few pictures of my newly acquired Metabo battery tools have not been used yet but next weekend the World Famous Biscuits Munching No1Son of mine is coming up to help me put up some sides and roof on the garage in the garden
20210918_115504.jpg
20210918_115731.jpg
20210918_115844.jpg

Quality merchandise there Steve, you'll go a long way to find the end of them. I used to work for an agent selling Metabo, and some of the stuff we saw come in after 7-8 years on sites just needing new brushes in the motor. I have a Metabo grinder in the workshop and it's a very smooth tool

It is very good stuff my old boss used to manufacture and sell Tornado Plasma Cutters and were used heavily to drill and tap all the fixtures and fittings and when the steel mill was undergoing a refit and update again was more abused than used and seeing what the grinder and drill could take well that put me on the Metabo path by no means not cheap but at the end of the day you get what you pay for could not recommend them highly enough got one of the sabre saws think it should have been called The Beast Saw

Back