Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Top speed

Mavin

Country Flag
cambodia
Hello guys! I'm new here . i got one question and that is what is the top speed of the hzj78 with 1HZ engine?
I did go 130 once just wanna know what is the top speed?

I did once manage 119mph (indicated) in my first 80 series 1HDT Cruiser round the M25, I wouldn't attempt it in my current old bus.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did once manage 119mph (indicated) in my first 80 series 1HDT Cruiser round the M25, I wouldn't attempt it in my current old bus.
There's no 1HD here sadly only 1HZ and 1FZ i remember my FZJ78 hit 160 easily

I got 125 kph out of my first bj73... it was a nerve wracking experience. Haven't gone beyond 110 in my current one. I'll report back when the new (recon) engine goes in.

I don't know the 70 series well and i'm wondering if the 70 Prado got a 3.0L 1KZ engine which can do over 100mph .

Some did get the 1kz lump, but going over 100mph will also have a lot to do with gearing. I feel if I had a 5th gear in my 90 series, it'll somewhat easily pull into that 120-130mph range. Not sure how the driveline will behave at that speed. But having sat between 100-110 for stretches on the motorways it felt like a rock!

Some did get the 1kz lump, but going over 100mph will also have a lot to do with gearing. I feel if I had a 5th gear in my 90 series, it'll somewhat easily pull into that 120-130mph range. Not sure how the driveline will behave at that speed. But having sat between 100-110 for stretches on the motorways it felt like a rock!

I'm with beau on the influence of gearing.

I know I'm talking 80 and not 70 series, but my 1HZ with the standard tyres fitted (215/80/16 on the original registration document) would do 135 kph (as also stated on the original registration document).

As I've gone up to 305/70/16, the top speed has decreased. There's no other reason for this that I'm aware of, the engine is actually running better than it was when I bought it 11 years ago, I've blown a few cobwebs out of it since then :lol:.

I don't know the gearing of the diffs, only that they are standard for the HZJ80. Maybe lower geared diffs would raise the speed, but TBH, for the roads I use here, I'm quite happy with the way she's running. Diff components are expensive, and I have other things more important on my shopping list at the moment.

What your describing there Clive goes into the power V torque category .

You have the torque to turn bigger wheels but not the power to turn them quickly .
The engine turns the gearbox at the same speed whatever wheels you fit and bigger wheels travel further on every rotation so in principal you should go faster .

A bigger wheel gives you taller gearing = increased top speed .

Torque is a lever - power is the weight you can put on that lever .

I remember i done 160kmh on my 80 series but that was years and years ago maybe 2003 or 2004 im not sure if it could still do it. Now that i got bigger wheels and lifted suspension just a bit i will not exceed 100kmh. And yes every single time i go for a long drive i allways say to myself i wish it had another gear:(.

Well, just for the hell of it, I cruised most of 110 km home at 128 kph GPS tonight, 120 kph on the speedo, bang on 3,000 rpm.

It wouldn't go faster, but I recon it would have cruised all day and every day at that speed.

I'm with you Shayne on the gearing, but with max torque at circa 2,200 rpm, I guess it just runs out of grunt up near the 3,000 rpm mark.

I'm not sure whether 5th gear on the truck is over-driven (meaning props going faster than the engine) or whether it's 1:1.

Did you find tyres BTW Shayne? I'm now looking to try to get 305/70/16 STT Pros when the pay-cheque comes in this month.. giving up on the BFG KO2s :cry:

To lower the gearing is to extend the lever a little putting things back in spec , increase the power and you don't need a longer lever because your back in spec and running faster . All conversely of course your good with what you've got so why mess with it :thumbup:

Toyo open country MT is my choice Clive , 60k miles is often quoted (on yank pickups) and though i could be wrong i walked back up the road to take a look at some aggressive looking tyres on a truck a couple of years ago and though memory fails me i think they were Toyo ?

My Coopers are now obsolete according to Cooper UK :thumbdown:

To lower the gearing is to extend the lever a little putting things back in spec , increase the power and you don't need a longer lever because your back in spec and running faster . All conversely of course your good with what you've got so why mess with it :thumbup:

Toyo open country MT is my choice Clive , 60k miles is often quoted (on yank pickups) and though i could be wrong i walked back up the road to take a look at some aggressive looking tyres on a truck a couple of years ago and though memory fails me i think they were Toyo ?

My Coopers are now obsolete according to Cooper UK :thumbdown:

Mmm, interesting, the MT looks OK

IMG_7115.JPG

The AT isn't so convincing...

IMG_7116.JPG

Decisions, decisions.

I still like the STTs

IMG_7117.JPG

I'm probably just rejecting them out of spite because they killed my previous rubber lover :lol:

The top speed i ever got from my kzj 78. That is with the 1kz 3.0 td non intercooled was a 135kph . I felt i could go 140kph but i didnt. The 78series is not very aero dynamic ... its a box ...lol. but generally i cruise at 110kph and thats good enough for me . :)

Back