Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Torque settings

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
Does anybody know the torque settings for the rocker cover on the 105 series 4.5 petrol rocker cover, i cant seem to fins it anywhere.

I spoke to Toyota and they didnt have a clue. I spoke to 3 mechanics plus a service manager for a Toyota Dealership and they didnt have a clue. How bad is that, we have gone with 13lb to see what happens. I bought the FSM and nowhere in there does it talk about torque settings for the rocker cover.

The FSM shows standard bolt torques in the back.

7CACD888-50BD-4358-99FB-8F415832A048.png
1B531FB1-F360-46C8-9F86-63184D7BB417.png

TBH don't think I have ever torqued a rocker cover, just do them till they feel right, can't say that I have ever broken one yet

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It seems very strange that the rocker cover does not have any torque settings, the film mentioned is for diesel mine is the 1FZE engine. any way we put it back on and hope for the best.

Another 30 second google for the 1FZ FE gives roughly the same info. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1fz-fe-valve-cover-torque.593149/
Around 4 to 6 ft pounds.
Clearly the fuel it uses makes no difference.

What film?

The basic principal is that a bolt of x size, y head and of z pitch has a torque setting specified in the FSM torque page shown above. It matters not what it is actually fixing down.

From the table a 6mm flange head bolt has a torque of 52 inch pounds or a little over 4 foot pounds.

Last edited:
Its ok guys, all the stuff you sent, and thanks for that, i had already looked at. It seems clear that nobody really knows, not even the makers of the thing, but we have tightened them to 13flb, it seems ok.

Yes, despite original appearances the OP now seems perfectly at ease with the bolts at three times their manufacturer specified torque now that they are actually done up and the tools are back in the box.

Last edited:
I would have said Rich Starcruiser answered the question perfectly, but hey ho

The thing is, the FSM does not, repeat not give any settings, you didnt read what i said about Toyota not knowing, so why would the answers be in any manual.

I cannot remember if the gasket is rubber, IIRC it is. If you look at the areas around the bolt holes, there is a step, this prevents overtightening, so bolts are tightened until they stop. This will give the correct pressure applied to the gasket.

Or.......I may be thinking about a completely different engine, in which case move on. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

Thanks guys but its all finished and there are no leaks, so far so good.

The thing is, the FSM does not, repeat not give any settings, you didnt read what i said about Toyota not knowing, so why would the answers be in any manual.
So how come I found them in the manual, took photos and posted them up in this thread then? Perhaps you didn’t read that post?

Is this the same Toyota dealership where you challenged the parts guy on price? If it is maybe they just don’t want to help you any more.

Ok so you want to argue, thats fine, but dont do it with me.

Why are people like this, you found it, great have a gold medal, but mate, piss off with this crap, ok.

So how come I found them in the manual, took photos and posted them up in this thread then? Perhaps you didn’t read that post?

Is this the same Toyota dealership where you challenged the parts guy on price? If it is maybe they just don’t want to help you any more.

Dont start, ok.

Whats done is done you can't slack off once a bolt has been over tightened x3 and expect the stretched bolts to be secure , that's why i won't use a torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts , if i fitted new studs and nuts all round i would but until that time i will trust feel however inaccurate it might be .

Back