Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Touchscreen system in a 120

ManOfTheWest

Country Flag
wales
Having just bought my 120 series, I'm now looking to give it a proper audio system with Bluetooth and a few other bells and whistles. I have been thinking about a touchscreen version with a large screen - not easy with a single DIN - so that I could stick a reversing camera on to make the wife feel happier.

That was the plan, but one installer has just quoted me slightly more than £1,000 to supply and fit a Pioneer AVH-X7800BT, which only costs £350 retail! If that fitting cost is typical, and it's hard to tell because there are so few installers around my way, I may have to go for something cheap and easy to install so that I can do it myself. A simple single DIN and reversing sensors may have to do for now.

Has anybody else put a touchscreen system in a 120?

Dan

Having just bought my 120 series, I'm now looking to give it a proper audio system with Bluetooth and a few other bells and whistles. I have been thinking about a touchscreen version with a large screen - not easy with a single DIN - so that I could stick a reversing camera on to make the wife feel happier.

That was the plan, but one installer has just quoted me slightly more than £1,000 to supply and fit a Pioneer AVH-X7800BT, which only costs £350 retail! If that fitting cost is typical, and it's hard to tell because there are so few installers around my way, I may have to go for something cheap and easy to install so that I can do it myself. A simple single DIN and reversing sensors may have to do for now.

Has anybody else put a touchscreen system in a 120?

Dan

Hey Dan

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk and www.caraudiocentre.co.uk both sell and install double din systems, and are about the cheapest in the U.K. I recently bought one from car audio direct and fitted it here overseas (replaced a broken double din my vehicle vendor left me with having stole the good one he sold the vehicle with, long story,) CAD were really good and helpful.

Call them up, ask for a quote, and you'll soon know if you are being stung for fitting. Good luck.

Don't forget to post photos and details of the 120 you bought, we'd love to see it!

Last edited:
Hey Dan
www.caraudiodirect.co.uk and www.caraudiocentre.co.uk both sell and install double din systems.
Thanks for the advice; I may well do that. Having had an extended email conversation with the other vendor, it turns out that they had included the price of the Pioneer navigation module in the quote, which may explain why it was several hundred pounds higher than I expected.

They have given me another quote, much lower, and including several other bits and pieces such as reversing sensors, which I really like. So, I may well get something together with them after all. The main issue is that they are experienced fitters and I don't feel up to dealing with an install that is unlikely to be straightforward.

Oh, and they say that it isn't really a double DIN, it just looks like it and that fitting a double DIN would require fascia panels and so on. I'm still thinking about that bit as I would prefer a non-tilt screen solution.

Photos when I get the vehicle back from the local garage!

Dan

I fitted a Clarion unit in mine. Works well.
IMAG0119.jpg

Needed these trim bits to fill out the sides. Height wise it was fine.
://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-dfp-11-08-toyota-celica-mr2-spider-double-din-fascia-panel-adaptor.html

Also got a cheapy rear cam from fleabay which replaces one of the number plate bulbs (has bulb in the cam unit). Works well although it's of centre I've got used to it. Has parking lines so can adjust to suit. Great for hitching up trailers!
IMAG0118.jpg

I fitted a Clarion unit in mine. Works well.
View attachment 123541
Thanks Jack, that's reassuring. At least now I know that I can put in a 178 mm by 100 mm (or maybe as much as 105 mm?) stereo. Your model looks great but is a bit more than I want to spend.

Unfortunately, most of the Pioneer models seem to be 165 mm by 118 mm, so that's probably significantly too large in the vertical dimension. Sony double DIN models seem to come in at the same as Clarion, 178 mm by 100 mm. JVC seem to be 182 mm by 111 mm, which again is probably a bit too tall.

Perhaps most interestingly of all, Pumpkin offer a double DIN Android device that would probably fit as well.
Decisions, decisions...

Incidentally, did you use a wireless camera or did you route a cable and if so how did you route it?

Dan

Thanks Jack, that's reassuring. At least now I know that I can put in a 178 mm by 100 mm (or maybe as much as 105 mm?) stereo. Your model looks great but is a bit more than I want to spend.

Unfortunately, most of the Pioneer models seem to be 165 mm by 118 mm, so that's probably significantly too large in the vertical dimension. Sony double DIN models seem to come in at the same as Clarion, 178 mm by 100 mm. JVC seem to be 182 mm by 111 mm, which again is probably a bit too tall.

Perhaps most interestingly of all, Pumpkin offer a double DIN Android device that would probably fit as well.
Decisions, decisions...

Incidentally, did you use a wireless camera or did you route a cable and if so how did you route it?

Dan

Why don't manufacturers stick to a standard double din size! I didn't realise they were different.

I used a wired camera. Fairly easy to route the cable. Had to drill hole for cable in the door behind the plastic number plate mount. Managed to get the cable through the existing flexible pipe from the door. Pulled the plastic trim apart in boot and tucked cable behind. Then under the rear and front step bits. Up and under the steering wheel and into the head unit. Does that make sense!? Easier to do than explain.

Got the reverse signal from a wire under the gear shift.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back