Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyodiy - quick way of checking different variants?

SteveS

Hi all - im getting closer in my quest to understand what if anything I need to do to make my (hilux) truck work well in the Andes.....As part of this I have got the engine numbers/model codes for units produced for South America market (from somebody’s truck there). But my truck will be a European specced model. On looking through toyodiy there are some obvious differences BUT does anybody know a way that I can generate a query/report that identifies all the parts that are different from one model to the other? Short of sitting down with a stack of toyodiy parts breakdowns for both and a marker pen I cannot see a simple way. For example the ECU used in each is different - but what else? Reason for asking is that South American versions are known to work well, European versions work there too.....but is that through luck? Your help please would be much appreciated

A bit ‘left field’ , Steve but couldn’t you buy a vehicle out there? Especially if your camping gear were a bolt on box on the back?
Just a thought. Might be easier and more cost effective.

What happened to the 100? Have you still got that?

I would have thought with the modern ecu it would sence the altitude and amend the fuel pattern as it sees fit

Well if you're on a Mac or can get a Linux command line then cURL will download the text.
eg

$> curl -L -b non-existing "http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2005_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER+PRADO_KDJ120L-GKMEYW_1105.html" > toyo.txt

Will download the html from that URL to a file. You need -L to cope with the redirect toyodiy is using, and -b non-existing to start a cookie store, because toyodiy rejects access when cookies are not enabled.

Then you just need to pull apart the html. The components are all tagged with an id, eg

id="tx2">BOLT, STUD(FOR OIL FILTER)</tr><tr><td>90116-06171<td>

The ids increment for each part, so you need to play about filtering out what you want. The part-number is at the end, bound by a <td> tag. A bit of faffing about with pandas would probably do the trick.

If this is all jibberish, apologies. It was just an idea to start you off. I'll probably have a crack at this now because it looks interesting, but I can't give you a timeline :)

Pandas??
I take it were not talking about the one's that eat bamboo. .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I told you beautiful soup would do it. Just got to automate grabbing the other pages now.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 22.27.34.png

A bit ‘left field’ , Steve but couldn’t you buy a vehicle out there? Especially if your camping gear were a bolt on box on the back?
Just a thought. Might be easier and more cost effective.
Yes and no. Finding a truck as we want it is nigh on impossible. For example lockers, additional batteries, storage etc, etc. And whilst this could all be done in country (cheaply) there is the issue of parts delivery and being on top of the mechanics doing the work (and finding the right ones). It is likely to be a long delay until we can start our actual trip. We could of course buy a SA truck and import it here......but that is not as easy as buying a European one (egr, cats, maybe other things to be modified). By understanding the differences I can get a feel as to whether I can ignore them or whether they are critical to operation ( I got bitten by this with my old defender when we almost lost all our oil because of a £20 sump breather heater when we went to Nordcapp in -40c). If I can understand what the differences are then I can understand how big the problem is. So far European hiluxes have performed well in SA but being prepared for a journey where we could be 1000kms from anyone and at 5000m at -20c in 100knt winds is worth the effort now. I do wish it were easier.

I told you beautiful soup would do it. Just got to automate grabbing the other pages now.

View attachment 152116
If you would like to test your programme then my Peruvian contact has two local vehicles with the following models

KUN26L-PRMDYG and -HRMDY (one comes from Argentina and the other from Thailand). The European equivalent is KUN26L-PRMDHW

Well if you're on a Mac or can get a Linux command line then cURL will download the text.
eg

$> curl -L -b non-existing "http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2005_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER+PRADO_KDJ120L-GKMEYW_1105.html" > toyo.txt

Will download the html from that URL to a file. You need -L to cope with the redirect toyodiy is using, and -b non-existing to start a cookie store, because toyodiy rejects access when cookies are not enabled.

Then you just need to pull apart the html. The components are all tagged with an id, eg

id="tx2">BOLT, STUD(FOR OIL FILTER)</tr><tr><td>90116-06171<td>

The ids increment for each part, so you need to play about filtering out what you want. The part-number is at the end, bound by a <td> tag. A bit of faffing about with pandas would probably do the trick.

If this is all jibberish, apologies. It was just an idea to start you off. I'll probably have a crack at this now because it looks interesting, but I can't give you a timeline :)
I was a software engineer maaany moons ago (C++ etc) but I’d have to really re-teach myself

Hi Rob - any joy on this? Sorry have been up in the mountains and away from sensible internet

Almost! It's something I tinker with for 30 mins here and there. I was doing it to help me learn a bit more Python so it's not progressing with the speed of someone who knows what they're doing :)

The web pages aren't entirely consistent so it's taken a while to work out the rules to reliably scrape them. Eg sometimes you get multiple numbers for the same description, sometimes the part number and description are on the same row.

I now can (I think) reliably create two pandas' data frames with two columns for part number and part description, and work through all the pages related to a given car to populate them. I thought I knew how to perform a MINUS (using SQL parlance) opertation; that is show all the rows from A that are not in B, and then all the rows from B that are not in A. But clearly I don't, but it's not far off!

Almost! It's something I tinker with for 30 mins here and there. I was doing it to help me learn a bit more Python so it's not progressing with the speed of someone who knows what they're doing :)

The web pages aren't entirely consistent so it's taken a while to work out the rules to reliably scrape them. Eg sometimes you get multiple numbers for the same description, sometimes the part number and description are on the same row.

I now can (I think) reliably create two pandas' data frames with two columns for part number and part description, and work through all the pages related to a given car to populate them. I thought I knew how to perform a MINUS (using SQL parlance) opertation; that is show all the rows from A that are not in B, and then all the rows from B that are not in A. But clearly I don't, but it's not far off!

Ahhh, yes that takes me back.....i remember the day when i used to work in assembler code......blah blah blah Zzzzzzzz. Anyway, if you can get it to work it will be an ULTRA USEFUL utility which im sure others could make use of too. Happy Christmas! :)

I’ll have another go tonight. Instead of arguing with people on the internet :tonguewink:

I’m in awe of anyone who can read assembler code.

I’ll have another go tonight. Instead of arguing with people on the internet :tonguewink:

I’m in awe of anyone who can read assembler code.
Some of us are the same with people who don't look at the keyboard when typing, just wow!

I've been playing in new software packages at the moment... arcGIS, QGIS, R and Stata... oh the joy of doing a PhD...

Working on the HJ45 is a nice contrast...

In terms of interogating ToyoDIY, I can't add much to help - I do sometimes have a couple of similar vehicles saved so I can try to see what might work...

I've been playing in new software packages at the moment... arcGIS, QGIS, R and Stata... oh the joy of doing a PhD...

Working on the HJ45 is a nice contrast...

In terms of interogating ToyoDIY, I can't add much to help - I do sometimes have a couple of similar vehicles saved so I can try to see what might work...

What’s the PhD? One of the techs I am supposed to cover is spatial. I’m getting to grips with point clouds and TINs. Then I go to speak to someone and they want to know how we handle non uniform rational b-splines. :anguished:

I’m sure R can find differences in dataframes too. I’m nearly there though I think. As they say, a few hours of trial and error can save minutes of looking at the README.

Ahhh, yes that takes me back.....i remember the day when i used to work in assembler code......blah blah blah Zzzzzzzz. Anyway, if you can get it to work it will be an ULTRA USEFUL utility which im sure others could make use of too. Happy Christmas! :)

Right I have it working! What I can't do easily is find the index pages for your model numbers. Can you send me the URL of the index pages. By index page I mean the page that lists the Engine, Powertrain, Body and Electrical headings. For example for my 120 it's this http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_E_2005_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER+PRADO_KDJ120L-GKMEYW.html

Back