Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota BJ40R 3B 1982 found!

Michael80

Country Flag
uk
I have had a busy weekend getting this old girl moved for the first time in six years! Brakes all stuck on, fronts were easy just removed the calipers but the rears wouldn't let go!
managed to drag it with the winch and a trolley jack under the rear axle.
Well with some good batteries and checking levels etc she started up! 1hr later I was driving it around.
Really like it and cant believe everything still works, unsure what to do with it now? The panels around the front end are nearly finished, the drivers and passengers floors are gone.
Front and passenger doors are in really good condition as are the rear ambulance doors. The chassis is in really good condition for its age.
Its a shame its been left as its really original with everything as it should be, dash is complete but the front seats have been changed.
IMG_4025[1].JPG
IMG_4048[1].JPG
IMG_4049[1].JPG

Who would be the best place for body panels etc? I will start with the filters and oils this week. Front calipers are off so they can be stripped etc.

Well done with the find man! You have a great project ahead of you.. Have you a garage/workshop to put it in?

There's a fella on ebay called smartshamu, He has quite a few parts and panels listed..

I have been looking at asparts in germany, are all of the bj40 panels the same throughout the different years?
asparts has all of the footwells etc, also has the rear quarters. its the bonnet and front bib which are the worst.
I think it really needs the body taking off and building back up with new panels.

are all of the bj40 panels the same throughout the different years?

No there are some changes but they happened in '74/5 and '79/80. Most panel suppliers specify the applicable years. Just be sure to state the year of your truck when ordering. In most cases if no year is stated the panel will be for post 1980 but check i.e. the front valence is not interchangeable with the pre-'79 panel.

When you fit the new valance - fill the gap between the valance support bar and the back of the valence as this collects mud etc. I used POR-15 paste over 12 years ago and no rust.

Body off - if you have the room but I didn't so did it in situ but then I didn't have to weld in new floors.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Michael,
two bonnets for sale on eBay at the moment along with some other parts you mentioned.
Good look with the rebuild/ repairs.
I agree with Rodger, body off if you have the space.

Hi Michael that is a big job you have on the go good to see one more 40 on its way back good look with it you will have a lot of fun with it 40s will put a big smile on your face keep pics comeing.from Tony.

Thank you for the comments, I don’t have a workshop at the minute and that is why I worry about the amount of work that is needed. I will start from the ground up as the running gear is stuff I can sort whilst it’s dry.
I have wondered about oiling it up and placing a cover over it until I have a workshop.
I keep telling myself it looks worse than it is!

I was in the same boat when I got mine - no workshop. Start by giving it a really good steam clean - over and under - then you can start assessing the project.
To me the following are recoverable ; bonnet - the corners look sound; front wings ; doors & windscreen surround look okay; rear body cross member looks okay; rear quarter panels, which are accessible from both sides could be recoverable.
Bits that aren't are the sills but replacements are available. Front valance and bezel although the letter may be savable. Cannot tell re the roof surround or for the bits we can't see in the photos.

It will look a whole lot better when you have steamed it.

Regards,

Rodger

Well I have just been outside and drained the oil, New filter and new oil. It sure is cold!
One bit at a time.

Hi. Just 5 miles that is good if you see one you like its a long way off .

Nice find! Thats a restoration project if ever there was one. Impressive that you managed to start it up so quickly. Keep us posted on the restoration works.

Hi All,
The work has started, I have rebuilt the front brake calipers so I will have brakes soon. I wonder if some one could help with part numbers?
I would like to buy a bonnet, front L and R Aprons, the panels with the kick out vents in along with a new front bib and headlight surround.
I have purchased some parts for it like a new front bumper, oil pressure sender and other odd little parts but would like to know I'm buying the correct parts for the vehicle and not end up with lots of incorrect bits.
Would any one have changed the front headlights? are they standard 7" units? I have found some wipac S4700 Wipac S4700 7 Inch Round Metal Quadoptic Headlight Headlamp - H Bowers - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] these can come with the bowl and adjuster along with the trim.

Many thanks
Michael

Search parts with your vin nr
If that doesn't work, I have an electronic parts catalog on my gdrive. Only works on pc's up to win7, not on win10.

Hi Firewout,
Thank you very much for that, I have started making a list.
Many thanks

Well the progress is slow but in the right direction, genuine aprons NOS on order, genuine kick out panel x2, genuine door Pillars and a genuine new front bib have arrived.
Is it possible to purchase new RHD front wings?
Cant wait to be driving it, but I think that could be some time away.
I'm trying to collect as many genuine parts as possible to help with panel fit etc further down the line.

Back