Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota colorado D4D Loss of Power On Drive Gear

chykennoch

Country Flag
botswana
Good Day Everyone,

i recently noticed that my Toyota Colorado (Auto) D4D (100 Series) after a long trip of 1700 km, When i engage the drive (D) gear to drive, the car moves so slowly (With Little or no power at full throttle) at takeoff but picks up after 200 meters, it used to pull hard on Drive gear (2) but after a while it lost it's power too
Kindly Assist.

Good Day Everyone,

i recently noticed that my Toyota Colorado (Auto) D4D (100 Series) after a long trip of 1700 km, When i engage the drive (D) gear to drive, the car moves so slowly (With Little or no power at full throttle) at takeoff but picks up after 200 meters, it used to pull hard on Drive gear (2) but after a while it lost it's power too
Kindly Assist.
I think you mean its a 95 series . check your fuel filter , air filter ,map filter , and maf sensor , with a bit of luck problem will go away .

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Day Everyone,

Kindly Assist.
Hi mate.. As with these problems it could be many things at fault. try with the obvious. check transmission oil level and condition of oil.. (When was oil last changed etc).. if you can get underneath ok, then check male plugs/sockets on the side of the gearbox.... I have never had a problem with any auto box so cant comment further... There is a thread on here somewhere with someone having a similar problem... Hang on a while and im sure someone will be posting more of an idea for you... goodluck... Do you think its gearbox related. or engine related.. like Tony says check fuel filter etc etc....... Sorry Tony, You beat me to it

Last edited:
My guess is auto transmission solenoid, the 1st or in worst case the 1st and 2nd gear is not shifting, you start from 3rd, that is why the car is so slow. It is not that expensive to repair. Let us know what was the problem.

I would also recommend to take a look at the Suction Control Valves - they deteriorate over time and get sticky. In my case when car was cool - less delay, when car runs hot - bigger and bigger delay before boost /normal take off actually/. A quick change fixed it and Cruiser is like new. Good luck!

Hi I have a quick question for Higgy When would be the best time to change transmission oil on the auto I did mine about 24 months ago from Toyota Ive done about 12k miles since the change. the car drives ok and the trans oil does not smell burnt. Would delaying damage the gear box. My gear box was rebuilt by the previous owner so its only a couple of years old.

The other thing I wanted to mention was I recently had my fuel pump rebuilt it drives like a brand new car no smoke and allot smoother. I bought two original Denso suction control valves from Roughtrax.. As I had a fuel pump rebuild I did not end up using the SCV's. I paid £200 for them and I am willing to sell them for half the price to any member from the landcruiser club who may require them. My car is the LC 90 D4D , 1KDFTV , year is 2002

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back